A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Smart key not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My door sensors stopped working too 2 days ago. Luckily I had my 5K service due and the control arms fix, so I took it to the dealer. According to the dealer, one of the sensors has gone dead and the rest of the system shutdown. I still have to pick up the car but over the phone he's told me that they had to replace the sensor in one of the doors. Hope this helps someone.

~K
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgdA4
Strange thing happened today, when I grabbed the door handle it did not unlock automatically (tried many times, being very deliberate). Pressing the unlock button on the key worked, as well as when I pushed the start engine button. Later on after I got the car washed it started working again.

Could it be that dirt or road salt blocks the sensor? Has anyone else experienced this?

(car was dirty, but not ridiculous filthy)
My passenger door sensor went off, had it replaced at 15K under warranty. 2 weeks ago both my door's sensors went off this time, got to fix it again. I Audi went to far with those door sensors.. advance key with a push bottom is good enough from my point of view. I wash my car on a regular basis so I do not think dirt has anything to do with it, I guess they are just not so well assembled or perhaps too sensible.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spaniardone
My passenger door sensor went off, had it replaced at 15K under warranty. 2 weeks ago both my door's sensors went off this time, got to fix it again. I Audi went to far with those door sensors.. advance key with a push bottom is good enough from my point of view. I wash my car on a regular basis so I do not think dirt has anything to do with it, I guess they are just not so well assembled or perhaps too sensible.
I agree, button would have been enough. I suspect something with moisture is shorting it out. I had another problem with my HVAC control lights flashing all crazy like a space ship...took it to the dealer and they said audi is aware of the problem but no fix for it yet. 3 days later it went away on it's own. I'm thinking maybe moisture got in, shorted something out, and then when it dried up it went back to normal.

Audi's are great cars mechanically but seems like they are plagued with electrical gremlins. My last A4 had all kinds of strange electrical problems too.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

With my car the sensors went bad about a week back. The dealer has now replaced them and I am still to get the car back. I hope it doesn't happen again.

~K
Old 01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Today the car went back to normal...outside temperature also went back to a cool 10F degrees and very dry.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

My car was diagnosed today (after I'd run it over VAG-COM). The dealer diagnosis was the same as mine... new pax front door handle on order.

John.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrStuff
I have an issue with the rear door (driver side). The little button\sensor to lock works "when it wants". Seems to make the whole system hiccup from time to time, including door sensors when you touch them to unlock the car. I noticed it gets worse on high humidity cold days. I'm going to check it with VAGCOM soon.
Getting the diag tomorrow, i'll post when I get more info. I spoke to service and they said it's a possible issue with the tinted windows... I wasn't impressed with this answer... (remember it's only my little button that intermittently works)
Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrStuff
Getting the diag tomorrow, i'll post when I get more info. I spoke to service and they said it's a possible issue with the tinted windows... I wasn't impressed with this answer... (remember it's only my little button that intermittently works)
That's BS. I walked in on Saturday with my A4 (was actually going to get my Q7 that needs a new amplifier and is waiting on the part). Instead of taking the Q7 and leaving the A4, they did a quick scan, grabbed the codes and ordered the new door handle for the pax front side.

The tech who scanned the car said that if you've got codes against the door handle, it's time for a new handle. There isn't much to diagnose.

Only thing is that the handles come unpainted so it takes a day or two after the part arrives to paint/fit.

John.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by matthewsjl
That's BS. I walked in on Saturday with my A4 (was actually going to get my Q7 that needs a new amplifier and is waiting on the part). Instead of taking the Q7 and leaving the A4, they did a quick scan, grabbed the codes and ordered the new door handle for the pax front side.

The tech who scanned the car said that if you've got codes against the door handle, it's time for a new handle. There isn't much to diagnose.

Only thing is that the handles come unpainted so it takes a day or two after the part arrives to paint/fit.

John.
I had other things to check out too. He ordered new guts for the handle... not a whole handle itself. He instructed me that it was more difficult to get codes because his computer was whining that I had changed some modules (I did with VAGCOM). He said that the audi computers are expecting a set of coding, and if you change it... they throw warnings.

Something along the lines of, if you want us to cover\do warranty work don't mod coding.

What i'm wondering... if I simply revert back to factory settings... will the audi computer notice the edit? Or does it only whine when the settings are not default at the time it reads it...
Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

What was the other stuff you were asking to check?

My car has also had some VAG-COM mods (disable chimes, needle sweep etc). No complaints from my dealer when he scanned the car to grab the door handle codes....

John.

Quick Reply: Smart key not working