A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Smart key not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewsjl
What was the other stuff you were asking to check?

My car has also had some VAG-COM mods (disable chimes, needle sweep etc). No complaints from my dealer when he scanned the car to grab the door handle codes....

John.
From my other posts... i'll sum it up here. My DRLs are different colours (slightly) they are replacing one (the blue one). My door lock sensor on the handle (replacing internals), my backup camera & *beep* sometimes don't happen when I put it into reverse. (like 10% of the time). Like the actuator is sticking...

He reset everything...

Off the top of my head I had...
-Needle sweep
-Disabled DRL wink on turn signal
-Seatbelt chime GONE!
-Battery monitor
-Headlight washer params modified (I found it sprayed too often and I set the "hold leaver" for longer since I was always making them fire)
-Enabled DVD playback

Anyways, he knew exactly what modules were different and he said it would interfere with warranty diag. He didn't seem too happy. :\

My first service had my needle sweep on, DRLs and seatbelt chime. Nothing was said. To their defense they weren't looking or scanning for anything.

I did the rest of the stuff last week while I was documenting (taking video\replicating my issues) Anyways, all of these issues started BEFORE I even touched VAGCOM with the car. But needless to say that was not his perception.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrStuff
Anyways, he knew exactly what modules were different and he said it would interfere with warranty diag. He didn't seem too happy. :\
Great. I guess we can forget about chipping a car under warranty then.. "the door doesn't shut anymore"... "well that's because you chipped. good-bye"
Old 02-03-2010, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mart242
Great. I guess we can forget about chipping a car under warranty then.. "the door doesn't shut anymore"... "well that's because you chipped. good-bye"
Oy! I still want to do it. I had a sticky reverse issue (ok i'm being **** since I paid pretty decent cash for the top fully loaded sline...) anyways... with a "virgin" car (unmodded since he reset it.) the issue was triggered again less then 12 hours after he reset it. So ha! i'll have a little chat with him. There is _NO_ way any of my VAGCOM mods I made affected anything. They have options for various regions. It's not like I hacked the seat belt chime to never come on... it's a yes\no option in the computer... the computer is already tested and programmed to accept BOTH responses... anyways...
Old 02-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oy! I still want to do it. I had a sticky reverse issue (ok i'm being **** since I paid pretty decent cash for the top fully loaded sline...) anyways... with a "virgin" car (unmodded since he reset it.) the issue was triggered again less then 12 hours after he reset it. So ha! i'll have a little chat with him. There is _NO_ way any of my VAGCOM mods I made affected anything. They have options for various regions. It's not like I hacked the seat belt chime to never come on... it's a yes\no option in the computer... the computer is already tested and programmed to accept BOTH responses... anyways...

Let us know what he says / whether you have any success. I am interested in mod'ing some items but concerned about voiding the warranty as well.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some dealers are more VAG friendly than others. My service advisor actually likes it when I give a print of the VAG-COM with errors logged - it gives them a much better idea of the problem where a fault code exists.

I'd heard that the computer does know how all modules should be coded - and it may flag something that has been changed - but it should know how to deal with it too. What was probably the issue was to run the computer over the car to reset the modules (and the time taken to do so). The tech probably needed to reset the codes as part of the guided fault finding process - remember, that quite often the tech isn't really troubleshooting themselves.... they're following the guided fault finding to adhere to Audi's warranty process.

I'm in agreement though that nothing changed on your car should have made a difference.

Cheers,

John.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ya I'll keep you guys posted for sure.

I had a print out of a VAGCOM scan with a fault code. The service advisor looked at me and said it wasn't a big deal. I really don't think they interact with many car enthusiast at that place.

They have 2 locations, I think i'll be visiting the eastern location (hint to mart242 ) since
a) they seem more friendly
b) the service \ parts manager mod \ track their cars and have directed me to certain people.
c) they didn't say anything about coding the last time they scanned the car.
d) i am on friendly terms with both managers.
e) they actually seem to like cars! :P

The other location just seems to want to get you in and out, "don't ask questions and don't get in our way". Anyways... i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

YThey have 2 locations, I think i'll be visiting the eastern location (hint to mart242 ) since
a) they seem more friendly
b) the service \ parts manager mod \ track their cars and have directed me to certain people.
c) they didn't say anything about coding the last time they scanned the car.
d) i am on friendly terms with both managers.
e) they actually seem to like cars! :P
I'm seriously NOT looking forward to when that car will be out of warranty. As for the eastern location, it's NOT convenient at all since I work in the west-end too.. unless they offer loaners? Then again, driving there in the morning
Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I work around the east location actually so it's not a pita for me... not yet anyways...

Still, I wonder... I might write a "stock" app\plugin for the VSDC (or whatever the software is called) to turn all the setting to stock with a couple clicks. IE save car profiles... I'll look in the software to see if that's already possible.

Reasoning: I browsed through most of the modules and tinkered... but they only noticed what was different... not what was changed... (ie change something and reset it to the original setting)

hmmmm I wonder...
Old 02-03-2010, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I work around the east location actually so it's not a pita for me... not yet anyways...
Well there you go. I'll borrow your car during the day. Free loaner for me and I'll take care of burning the deposits in your engine while I rev it hard, for FREE! Yes, FREE!!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mart242
Well there you go. I'll borrow your car during the day. Free loaner for me and I'll take care of burning the deposits in your engine while I rev it hard, for FREE! Yes, FREE!!
LOL, it's ok she's already used to that... I think it would be a step down if I let grandpa here drive her! (just teasing :P)