A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

so if the Audi OEM NAV isn't perfect

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so if the Audi OEM NAV isn't perfect

what's the point? Garmin makes sweet portable units for a fraction of the OEM cost.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, some people don't want a non-integrated nav, and the backup camera, for 2 examples
Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Plus of course many people don't want the dash nipple and want the backup sound without the Prestige
Old 10-09-2008, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does current B8 nav have 3D view (perspective angle w/ horizon), or overhead view only for maps?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I want the fully integrated nav+ backup camera. . .so I'll take the OEM unit.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah, but you're paying $1K for that... seems outrageous.

I mean, the A4 ain't a Chevy Tahoe, how hard is it to see what you're backing into?

The OEM Nav option just seems like pure marketing genius.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

No. Overhead only - next generation will, I believe.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I have a Garmin Nuvi 780 in my wife's car and OEM Nav in my B8....

Garmin Nuvi and after-market GPS devices wipe the floor with both the Audi OEM Nav, the BMW Nav ('08) and in some cases even the Lexus and Acura Navs. This will always be the case IMHO.

However, where the Nuvi or TomTom or whatever will win in ease of use, UI, features, etc. they will always come second to integration and convenience for the driver.

Some examples:
- GPS signal strength and quality is 1000x better on OEM systems since they utilize the shark-fin antenna on the roof of the car.
- When in a tunnel, out of coverage, the OEM Nav's seem to calculate your progress by the odometer so it keeps you going. Best example is something like the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels between NJ and NYC. In my B8, it tracks me accurately IN THE TUNNEL whereas the Nuvi starts complaining about lost satellite reception and then takes a couple of seconds to pick up where you are at the other end. My B8 OEM Nav even shows me turning around in my parking garage!!
- When listening to music, OEM Navs will turn down the volume on the music when making voice guidance prompts. I love it and even my wife loves this. After-market can't do this as elegantly although I think if you wire it up to your head unit, it's possible.
- No matter where you place the aftermarket Nav, it obstructs part of your view through the windshield. Also have the power cord hanging off from it looks pretty crappy IMHO.
- Seeing turn/route information in the Driver display between odometer/speedometer is awesome. Hitting volume button on steering wheel to repeat last voice guidance is excellent too. Can't be achieved by any aftermarket Nav.
- Although Audi lags behind others in this, they're voice commands for the Nav are still better than none. Only the latest Garmin's have voice commands and they're close to $1k themselves! Audi has the essentials like saying "Special Destinations - next gas station" or "Last destinations" (it'll show a list) and then saying the # of the one you want. etc.
- Backup camera has limited utility for me but it's a nice to have and useful at night since the reverse lights provide a light for it, makes it easy to see behind you at night.
- The OEM Nav on the B8 seems to calculate and recalculate directions very very fast. Much faster than my Garmin Nuvi 780 and I thought that was fast.
- On my B8 I can navigate to any of the contacts I've loaded into the car's directory with little effort assuming I have their address in there. The Nuvi can't do this because although the BT on the Nuvi transfers the phone book, it doesn't transfer addresses.

The B8 Nav is not even close to perfect, and compared to competitors lags somewhat behind but I think the convenience and integration make up for a lot of its shortcomings.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nav also adds MOST interface, which uses digital signal processing for the B&O.

B&O without nav doesn't sound as good due to the analog conversion.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good points. I love my Nuvi 660, but I ordered the OEM Nav for some of the reasons you mentioned.

Quick Reply: so if the Audi OEM NAV isn't perfect