A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Solutions for Portable GPS Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mart242
Toecutter's idea is brilliant. It fits perfectly and obstructs the MMI a bit (left 1/3 in my case) unless I move my head but what's good to see on the left 1/3 of the MMI while driving? not much.. I can live without the song names when I've got the GPS installed. The visibility of the "tiny" Garmin 260 I use (3.5" screen I think) in this location is AWESOME which more than compensates for the MMI reduced visibility. That solution is way better than paying 3k for nav!
My idea is "brilliant!" Take that all you doubters!

I focking told you...
Old 06-09-2009, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TomTom iPhone cannot get here soon enough, but I bet it will not be out for my big roadtrip in mid-July. Grrr
Old 06-10-2009, 06:00 AM
mgm
AudiWorld Member

That setup is exactly what I was thinking! I haven't starting to look for NAV units that would fit yet, but nice to see the Garmin works! What model is that?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

TomTom iPhone is a joke...what happens if you get a phone call or need to look at something else on your phone? No background running apps so no TomTom until you restart the app. I guess they could make it smart enough to resume where you left off but pray you aren't in an unfamiliar area at that time.

At least with a Garmin or standalone GPS you can talk on the phone and/or do other things while navigation still works so you don't get lost. The Audi 2G Nav may not be spectacular in features but the more I use it, the more I appreciate the simplicity, efficiency and elegancy of it. Honestly...
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mgm
That setup is exactly what I was thinking! I haven't starting to look for NAV units that would fit yet, but nice to see the Garmin works! What model is that?
It's a Nuvi 255.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

At nearly $50K for one of these little dudes all decked out, why chintz on the system that gets you: Navigation, Back-up camera (and parktronic) and voice command all nicely integrated and looking nothing like a stick-on afterthought.

Yes, I know the factory set up is overpriced (perhaps by $500) but the total integration, ease of use and optics seem to me, at least, worth the $500 overcharge (prior to discount.)

These clip on, stick on, suck on units, er, visually suck, IMHO.

Sorry, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

These are high buck, high zoot German luxury cars for pity's sake, why not just go the extra few bucks per month and have the systems built in and integrated?

Signed,

Often wrong, but never uncertain in Cincinnati.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
At nearly $50K for one of these little dudes all decked out, why chintz on the system that gets you: Navigation, Back-up camera (and parktronic) and voice command all nicely integrated and looking nothing like a stick-on afterthought.

Yes, I know the factory set up is overpriced (perhaps by $500) but the total integration, ease of use and optics seem to me, at least, worth the $500 overcharge (prior to discount.)

These are high buck, high zoot German luxury cars for pity's sake, why not just go the extra few bucks per month and have the systems built in and integrated?

Signed,

I don't diagree with you in theory, Mark. If money were no object, I'd love to have the built-in GPS and the extras that come with it. But I had to draw the line somewhere, and, regrettably, it was South of the Nav option. On the other hand, if I limited my new vehicle budget to the amount deemed apprpriate by my wife, I'd be in the market for a Chrysler Cinquecento. As it is, I'm waiting for the ship to dock on June 15th (assuming no Somali pirates intervene)and taking delivery on a 2010 Premium Plus 6MT Sport Pkg with B & O in Phantom Black. I doubt that a little dashboard clutter from a portable GPS unit every now and then will wipe the grin off my face.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Signed,

Since my car was the only S-Line not already spoken for in the Pacific Northwest and it did not come with the NAV, my options were to either buy it or wait for 2010 model. I decided to buy the car even though it did not have the NAV since I know all of the roads around here and I only need to use the navigation unit about three or four times per year. I don't leave it set up on the dashboard the rest of the year; I put it away.

I don't really care if you think it looks bad or not, because it works for me. Besides, $120 Garmin portable unit works better than your $3000 built-in. Sucker.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Since my car was the only S-Line not already spoken for in the Pacific Northwest and it did not come with the NAV, my options were to either buy it or wait for 2010 model. I decided to buy the car even though it did not have the NAV since I know all of the roads around here and I only need to use the navigation unit about three or four times per year. I don't leave it set up on the dashboard the rest of the year; I put it away.

I don't really care if you think it looks bad or not, because it works for me. Besides, $120 Garmin portable unit works better than your $3000 built-in. Sucker.

And who NEEDS a backup camera and parktronic? Wasn't it just a short while ago that Audi commercials were poking fun of Lexus by saying that Audis were for people who can park the car themselves? Besides, having grown up in Boston, I figured out when I was 15 how to parallel park without the need of computer-generated graphics.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

1 - we know how to park (gotta agree that the b8 is long though.. )
2 - we know where we go except in a few cases
3 - we know that technology improves (ie: GPS will get better)

So the nav didn't make sense for us.. and adding nav, tech pack, all sorts of other packs pushes the price too high.. in the range of a BMW 335...

Quick Reply: Solutions for Portable GPS Unit?