A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Sport Seat vs Standard Seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Seat vs Standard Seat

Has anyone driven a car with sport seat. is the seat significantly better or different than the standard seat? Seems that very few dealers have cars with these seats so I cannot even test it out. This is for an allroad but understand it is the same seat that is offered in the A4 sport package.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by allroadalltime
Has anyone driven a car with sport seat. is the seat significantly better or different than the standard seat? Seems that very few dealers have cars with these seats so I cannot even test it out. This is for an allroad but understand it is the same seat that is offered in the A4 sport package.
Big difference - bigger seats, better support, thigh support adjustment, better looks.
There are probably more people having sport seats around this forum and Audizine than you can imagine - auto enthusiast and sport usually go together
Me = auto enthusiast, therefore sport package = must have. I just ordered it without trying and I couldn't be happier.

The sport packages of the luxury brands don't make these track or rally cars. They are intended for "spirited" driving. Allroad and spirited driving is an awkward combination to me so I'm surprised they are even offering sport seats on those.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife and I tried the ones in an S4, which is similar, and while there was a difference, it was significant to us. I did like the thigh support but was ok w/o them as well. My wife is 5'5" and if she extended it it would lift her legs up a bit. The side bolsters were an N/A for us as we're both medium build and our bodys' didn't come in contact with them. we don't take corners at high speeds either so they the bolsters really didn't come in to play. I guess it makes a great statement for us as to how well configed the stock seats and stock suspension is.

Hopefully your dlr will have an S4 for you to try. Just fyi, we had the A4 / S4 side by side and we probably went back and forth for 20 minutes in addition to the test drive.

Good luck
Old 10-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skm348
My wife and I tried the ones in an S4, which is similar, and while there was a difference, it was not significant to us. I did like the thigh support but was ok w/o them as well. My wife is 5'5" and if she extended it it would lift her legs up a bit. The side bolsters were an N/A for us as we're both medium build and our bodys' didn't come in contact with them. we don't take corners at high speeds either so they the bolsters really didn't come in to play. I guess it makes a great statement for us as to how well configed the stock seats and stock suspension is.

Hopefully your dlr will have an S4 for you to try. Just fyi, we had the A4 / S4 side by side and we probably went back and forth for 20 minutes in addition to the test drive.

Good luck
corrected the above, meant to say was 'not' significant..
Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

This past February I went from a 2008 Avant with the standard seat to a 2012 Avant with Sport Package and prefer the Sport Pack seats.
They do have a little better side support and the ability to extend the under thigh support.
The quality of the leather is about the same.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by taxman1
This past February I went from a 2008 Avant with the standard seat to a 2012 Avant with Sport Package and prefer the Sport Pack seats.
+1. The availability of the sport seat was a decisive factor in the purchase of my '11 car. (I'm tired of cars with crappy seats )
Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
+1. The availability of the sport seat was a decisive factor in the purchase of my '11 car. (I'm tired of cars with crappy seats )
+2

Won't own an Audi without them. And neither will my 5'1" wife! She loves her new A4.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

+3. The Sport or S-Line seats are a must! I recently had a 2012 A4 loaner without Sport and the seats were seriously lacking.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 552 Likes on 372 Posts

Agree with everyone else - I would not buy without the Sport or S-line package.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I live in an area (suburban NYC) where there are many dealers, all of whom have at least 30 new A4's in stock. Yet, in a recent purchasing effort my friend's daughter went to 4 dealers (probably like 120 -140 A4's in stock) and could not find one with the Sport Package She was told by all of them that they don't order them with the Sport Package because of the bad roads around here and because of the potential for snow in the winter and the summer tires will just skate. Many folks in this area live in apartments and (like my friend) pay up to $450 a month just for a spot in their garage, no room for storage available, so a second set of tires and wheels is not an option.
Keep in mind that in an area with large inventories of new A4's more that 75% of all Audi sales are of in-stock cars and the dealers really discourage you from custom ordering. They can't match the discount on an in-stock car, they can't throw in the Audi Care for free and on and on.
I am in an A6 now and its Sport Package doesn’t include a seat upgrade, so I didn’t get it. However on my 2006 & 2008 A4’s I was looking for the Sport Package and at the same time get a good discount, so I settled on non-Sport Package models.
I am not saying it is impossible to buy an A4 with the Sport Package in my area, but you’d better be willing to wait for it to be ordered by a reluctant dealer, then wait for it to be built and finally be prepared to pay a lot more for the car than the $750 price of the package (since the dealers are not discounting ordered cars very much around here). To some extent it is understandable: they load up on inventory at great cost to have a number of options the average driver would find good enough and their emphasis is on moving that inventory. I am sure in other areas of the county things are different, but for us in this area Sports Package A4’s are as rare as hen’s teeth.

Quick Reply: Sport Seat vs Standard Seat