A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel vibration

hello buddies, im facing the vibration on my steering wheel when i go 60 mph. but it disappears after tht , its happening in my new a4 3.2 fsi . really worried , will be visiting dealer tommorow... any solutions .. and one more problem, my tire temperature goes up when i cruise for more than 50 kms ... really disappoointed . just got the car a week back ...
Old 04-26-2009, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Rishi,

Vibration at 60 mph (100kmh) is a classic wheel balance problem. It is not that the wheel is out of balance, the tire (tyre for our UK friends) is the culprit. Even in this day and age of automated manufacturing tires are made largely by hand. Tires need to be balanced after they are placed on the wheel, and usually weights are to the wheel to allow rotation without vibration. Tires are mounted dynamically at the factory, and the fellas that do it are pretty good. After the car leaves the factory it falls into the hands of shipping companies who frankly don't care about the cargo. They drive the cars like they stole them on and off the boats. Sometimes this is necessary to make it up the ramps, and onto the car carriers. This can cause the tires to slip on the rim, or sections of tire to be scrubbed off leading to imbalance. I once had an imported car that would not balance because they had poorly made patches on the inside the tire!

Part of the job of the selling dealer is to complete the PDI (Perfect Delivery Inspection.) This includes checking the tires and wheels for damage, setting the tightening torque, putting on the bolt covers and center caps, setting tire pressure, and during a road test check steering/tire alignment. It looks like they might have missed this step.

Tire temperature must rise while you drive. This is a byproduct of the friction required to propel the car down the road. Without friction, you would remain stationary. The pressure in the tires will also increase by as much as 6 lbs/sq. in. (.3 bar) when they are hot. This is why tire pressure is adjusted only when cold.

I don't think you have any worries, just have the dealer check the tires carefully, along with the alignment.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx a lot mate.. you are perfectly right .... got the balancing done.. no more vibration... gr8 reply..... thanx a ton.. cheez