A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Subaru wagons vs a4 b8 avant test drive thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru wagons vs a4 b8 avant test drive thoughts?

Anyone considering subaru while doing research? Anyone have first hand impression (not theory) of the a4 b8 wagons vs the subies?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Subaru wagons vs a4 b8 avant test drive thoughts?

I test drove the Outback 2.5XT Limited (turbo 4) and I liked it. However, the Audi has a nicer interior, and handles better. Subaru felt a bit looser and it's higher off the ground so it drives less like a sedan.

EPA mileage is better for the A4 (2.0T). Subaru has more room in the back, although both have fold-down rear seats. I ended up with the prem+ A4 - cost more, but I love to drive it. The subaru would have been fine, but it didn't thrill me
Old 12-13-2008, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Subaru has many strong points

The Subaru turbo 4 has stronger performance (25% more hp) than the 2.0T Audi and the AWD system is just as good. The standard Harman Kardon audio is better than anything Audi offers unless you go all the way to the prestige trim level ($$$) to get the Bang & Olufsen system.

The Subaru is at least $10K less money and it is built in America by US autoworkers at a zero landfill waste manufacturing facility.

I am anxiously awaiting the intro of the redesigned Legacy in the spring.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You get what you pay for....

Subaru if you want transportation and must have awd. Otherwise both Honda and Toyota make better fwd cars, and better cars period. Subaru AWD is good but their cars are meh...

Audi is in a different class all around. A premium European ride/design/engineering top to bottom.

You pay more because you are getting a German made car with superior everything. That is your 10K.

Plus the 2.0T gets great economy and has muscle car mid-range that will spank the Sub.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Subaru has many strong points

Interesting question.
I had a b7s4, and got rid of it to go to an outback wagon.

The outback can't handle anything like the S4, and the power is also not worth comparing.

But, I did get a car with PZEV, and a ton of room in the back for my gear, a very nice and clean interior, no issues at all for the 1st 15K miles, and a payment that is less than half the S4.
The Subaru also holds its value quite well.

They are totally different though.
I would tend to disagree about the whole Audi is European thing. For the money that you are spending, the Outback blows away the Audi.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Real Wagons...

Subaru discontinued the Legacy Wagon in the US. The last model year was 2006 I think. To get the Legacy sized body in a wagon you have to get the Legacy Outback, which means you have to put up with the pseudo-SUV image and ride height. I really wanted to consider the Legacy Wagon as an alternative because of the price difference and was very disappointed when I found out I couldn't get one.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:09 PM

Default Re: No Real Wagons...

I disagree that the outback isn't a real wagon. Of course its a real wagon. And that ground clearance (8 instead of 4) would come in useful at times. Would I like the float? Maybe not. And the height would only come in useful during big snow days, before the plow comes out. But utility is part of a wagon's charm, and more the better.

I just think it looks like a pig, and I agree on the pseudo SUV thing. And for me, any amount of road noise makes a car unsuitable for touring. And how about those frameless windows that whistle after awhile.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:12 PM

Default Re: You get what you pay for....

Well, all the high end subaru (ha!) wagons will kill the a4 avant in acceleration.

Trim, of course, and solid driving feel, are important in the A4, but the subarus typically stick together (repair costs, reliability) better than any audi.

I need more specifics.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Subaru has many strong points

Thanks for the non fanboy answer, dude.

Let's talk specifics. I actually have an S4 (B6) RIGHT NOW. And I need a good touring wagon that can give me a comfortable ride from SF to Tahoe, round trip, once a week. Sometimes the drive will be FAST -- 80mph and up all the way through. And sometimes the drive will involve being stuck behind chain control checkpoints or shut down highways for a total of an 8 hour drive (from 2.5 hours). Sometimes there will be a lot of snow to go over, before the plows come down, or when it falls faster than the plows can clear it.

Was tired of spending 100 in gas just to get 500 miles to and from tahoe, so no more v8 s4 (or would have picked up a b7) and because of all the potential stop and go and my wish for my friends (not all can drive stick) to take shifts in the driving duties, I didn't mind getting an automatic, as long as it had paddles and was decent.

I still spend a good amount of time in the city, but most of my miles are on that tour up to tahoe, through mountain passes with lots of fast sweepers.

And for what its worth, a legacy is only 7k less than an A4, and god bless the torque and better gas mileage in the 2.0t, although I could be in heaven if it was a 2.2t or 2.4t or god forbid, a 3.0t paired to a 7 speed auto. (S4 B8 ftw!)

Legacy: Has heated windshield wipers and as an option, 300 dollar remote engine starting. It also has regular roof rails so yakima and thule pieces are easy to find, unlike the b8 right now.

I'd also not give a **** if it got beat to hell with skiis falling all over it and gravel being kicked in its face.

And it has the ADS type system, albeit only for engine control as a standard option.

Who knows anything bout the legacy redesign?! I didn't know that was coming! Either way, I think I'll be happier with the b8 avant, given the subaru design and philosophies, which probably will not change.

But is the legacy outback quieter than, say a wrx? Comfortable enough to tour in, as relative to an A4 avant?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I did consider the Subaru Outback ...

... and test drove the Legacy and Outback, with their Boxer 6 and turbo 4 engines.

They are well built and solid cars, with few obvious faults. I am 6'3" tall and did find the front seats barely adequate for me as far as leg room. The seat track travel seemed very limited and I was never able to get completely comfortable in the car. The handling felt very soft to me...lots of body roll in turns. Steering was good with excellent on center feel and tracking.

Overall, the Subies just didn't feel very lively to me. Solid yes, sporting no. That, plus the fact that their fuel economy numbers are well below Audi's, put me in my B8 and back for my third Audi.

I should mention that I have driven my friend's WRX many times, and it's a fantastic little car. Oddly enough, it offers more front leg room than the larger Legacy and Outback.

Quick Reply: Subaru wagons vs a4 b8 avant test drive thoughts?