A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Subaru wagons vs a4 b8 avant test drive thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sti is more fun

just as practical I'd presume
Old 12-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Subaru has many strong points

Ha.
I live in San Jose, go to Tahoe a lot.
I loved the b7 s4 for these trips.
In all fairness the outback doesn't get up there with nearly as much fun.
But, I can get close to 30 mpg back, and around 26 getting there.
Also, you are totally right, I was very careful with the Audi. Now, I have a bike rack on my car, a roof rack, and take it everywhere! Snow, dirt, off-road.
I was always nervous with my 50K car, getting scratched, etc. Now, I just enjoy the car for what it is.
I'm going to take it to Tahoe this month, and next, and a little sidetrip to Oregon with it soon. With all the room, I have no worries about space or road conditions, and I don't even try to think about how much money I am saving.
Honestly, in this economy, it is a perfect car to get what you want done, save a ton of cash, and see what we have in store for us over the next few years.

New subaru's should be in the 2010 model year.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: No Real Wagons...

The reason I said, "No real wagons," was that I make a sharp distinction between a station wagon and an SUV. I considered the Legacy Wagon a true wagon and despite the fact it has exactly the same body structure, I consider the outback to be an SUV. The extra ride height and body cladding completely change what the car is to me. I like the A4 Avant because it *isn't* and SUV.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

You getting that mileage with a regular Outback, or XT ?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Snowblam, as has already been mentioned, one of the appealing things about the Subaru is its ruggedness, and that because it's much cheaper than the audi, you won't feel too bad about getting it dirty or scratched up once in a while.

As such, have you considered a CPO B7 3.2 Avant? You'll save a bundle over a B8 Avant, still get great power, it probably mates well with the tiptronic, looks great, drives like an Audi, and has the conventional roof rails that you want. The only caveat is availability - not sure how tough it will be to find one. Still, it might be worth a look.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:28 AM

I'm debating between an Outback XT and an A4 Avant, and have considered a lot of the same factors discussed already.

For me, the Subaru is about $10k cheaper, is a little bit more rugged (in that I won't worry as much about scratching it, getting it dirty, or taking it on moderately rough terrain), and has better straight line acceleration (especially with an AP).

The Audi is much more refined, looks and feels classier, and has more of tech-gadgets (I'm very much a gadget guy).

My head says I should take the Subaru, which seems like a better "value", but my heart is saying Audi. I'm going to wait and see what the 2010 Subaru redesign brings next year and then make the call, but if the new Outback has some of the gadgets available in the A4, I'll probably end up in a Subaru.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Default Volvo XC70 is another option

Although the price on the new model is right up there with the B8 A4.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audis and Subarus

As my signature reveals, I've had two Audis and now own seven Subarus, five of which are used in my business. All of the Subarus have been trouble-free, reliable, and durable, but none offer the features and benefits of the costlier Audis. If the 2010 Subaru Legacy wagon doesn't offer what an Audi A6 or A4 avant offers, I will probably order another Audi for myself even if it means that I will be seeing the Audi dealer more than I like.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Might I chime in???

I have owned 3 Audis.. 2004 A4 3.0, 2005 A6 4.2, and most recently a 2006 S4 Sedan.. Audi is by far my "brand of choice", however, I am currently in a 2008 Outback XT.. When I recently came into the market for a wagon, I had a hard time with the price of the B8 A4 for what you actually get in it.. WAYYYY overpriced.. I settled on the Subie because I got a fully loaded XT, Nav, etc.. for 30k (sticker was 35.5k)..

Anyway, lets be real.. The car is great, runs great, pretty damn quick, super reliable.. However, it isn't an Audi.. Doesn't handle as well (spirited driving, is BETTER in the snow though), interior is NOWHERE NEAR as well thought out or as nice as an Audi, nor is the overall build quality comparable..

I made the right choice at the time for me.. I have no regrets.. That being said, when my lease is over in a year, I will be looking to get a CPO 2007 or 2008 S4 Avant (Since Audi is bailing on the B8 S4 in the US, idiots)..

The Subie serves a purpose and a place, and I am pleased.. HOwever, you can't even put these cars in the same league.. Lets see what the new Legacy/Outback looks like in 2010 (new design), and maybe we will have something else to talk about..
Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Too bad they got rid of the Legacy Wagon

The Legacy wagon, IMHO, was better than the Outback wagon. I don't need the car raised like the Outback and I'd prefer the advantage that gives to the handling. Anyway, it's gone.

For the money, Subarus are a great value. I test drove a Legacy GT sedan and I enjoyed it. According to JD Powers they are very reliable.

Good Luck,
Steve

Quick Reply: Subaru wagons vs a4 b8 avant test drive thoughts?