A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Survey for vibration issue, even if you don't have it

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09 P+ Quattro
engine: 2.0T
transmission: Automatic
wheel (size & model): 18's
tire (size & model):Pirelli
Miles: 3,800

No Vibrations.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
I had an interesting talk with a tech at work today who happens to be #2 in North America in terms of skill. The "updated" control arms are actually from the diesel model in Europe. I've yet to observe this "vibration" out the well HUNDREDS of cars I've driven as anything other than normal operation and feedback. As we talked he explained that the control arm fix does nothing but mute the handling and feedback of car thus making it more Lexus like which not what these cars are built for.
Then you are implying that the diesel versions of the A4 have Lexus-like "muted" handling and feedback. Is that really the case? Can that actually be the case?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
I had an interesting talk with a tech at work today who happens to be #2 in North America in terms of skill. The "updated" control arms are actually from the diesel model in Europe. I've yet to observe this "vibration" out the well HUNDREDS of cars I've driven as anything other than normal operation and feedback. As we talked he explained that the control arm fix does nothing but mute the handling and feedback of car thus making it more Lexus like which not what these cars are built for. At the same time, we were discussing flat spots in tires as I have 2 A5 cabs that are getting new tires for just that reason, sat at port too long. I just find this whole thing to be silly maybe because I've yet to feel anything abnormal in the...probably 10k I've driven B8 A4s this year.
Despite what your Tech says, you would have a hard time convincing the many owners on this board with this issue that a steering wheel shimmying back and forth in your hands is normal. Especially since many dealers have recognized and observed the problem and Audi of America has responded as well.

This is my third Audi, so I'm not unfamiliar with the road feel characteristics of these cars. And even if I wasn't, no car I've ever owned, after force balancing, replacing any tires found to be defective, assuring wheels were perfectly round, etc. has still exhibited this issue. I also doubt that the new arms will turn the car into a Lexus just because the bushings are a bit different.

Tell you what.. I'll trade you straight across for one of those hundreds of B8's you have driven that doesn't have a high speed steering wheel shimmy for mine that has it. Then you can continue to call it "silly". Sound fair? (Be sure the one you pick out has 8000+ miles on it so we're sure the vibration is not present as many owners (including me) didn't have the problem until then).
Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabal_san
Snaggit

If you don't want to participate in this thread, thats your choice. But kindly leave your pseudo-scientific musings in another thread.

The OP has merit.

That's fine but I will do so only if you stay off my thread as well.
Do you even have an A4 with these problems or are you just here to read your own posts?
Old 10-06-2009, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Folks, no need to get all tense about this "survey." The point was simply to see if certain configurations were more prone to having the problem than others, assuming someone will bother taking a close look at the posted data.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TSB?

Thanks for your information. Can you give the TSB number? I want to have this when I call my dealer. I had my wheels balanced by the dealer and they found some problems. But the steering wheel shimmy (visual left & right movement)and vibration problem was reduced. Now I have a pulsating throughout the steering column that can be felt in the steering wheel at 65+ mph. I live 60 miles from the dealer so I do not want to have to go repeatedly for this single problem with the car.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prof
Now I have a pulsating throughout the steering column that can be felt in the steering wheel at 65+ mph. I live 60 miles from the dealer so I do not want to have to go repeatedly for this single problem with the car.
Prof.
This is exactly me -- I described my issue now at 64mph as a buzz. I just called AOA and they would not even admit that the TSB affects my car stating that they've got it narrowed down by VIN, options, etc. I'm expecting to get a call back by Thu before I head to the dealer 50 min away for my 3rd trip. The frustration, of course, is that will only be to confirm what I'm telling them, then presumably to get them to agree to order the control arms. Then I'll have a 4th and probably a 5th trip unless they stop stonewalling me. The 4th trip will be to replace the controls arms and the 5th will likely be another R-F balance and either replace tires and/or wheels.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

2009 P+ 2.0Tq Sport 18" Michelin {{{ LOW SPEED VIBRATION}}}
Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, this looks like a serious Q5 and A4 issue. There is a sh*t storm going on at the German Audi Forum at http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/unwuc...-t2360258.html about that topic.

People experiencing steering wheel shudder and vibrations from 100-120km/h (60 - 75mph) after roughly 3000 miles. They had their dealers change tires, balance the wheels on the car, changed suspension arms and the brake disks - which fixed it for a while - before the same problem showed again after 2800 miles.

As of Oct 7 2009 it turned out that IS the break disks! They distort due to thermal stress. The distortion then causes the shudder @ a specific speed. After replacing the disks it works for another 3000 miles before you need to start over again...

For Audi this MUST be a known issue and they need to come up with long term solution. That might be different disks or a whole new (larger) break system for the Q5 and A5.

Saw this over on the q5 forum today.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=16

Just cross posting for grins...
Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TSB is 44-08-18.

I purchased the Bentley - which gives the TSBs :-)

From memory, it doesn't identify a VIN range.

Basically, the TSB goes through the road force balance procedure - once you've exhausted that process and still have the shimmy, the dealer should contact the Audi Tech center for further details. There isn't anything in there about new control arms.

So, the good news is that there is an official TSB and a process to follow. The first step is to do the balance. Looking at the TSB, no dealer is going to jump straight to new control arms until they conduct this step (or an alternative, updated TSB is produced).

I can probably PDF the TSB.

John.

Quick Reply: Survey for vibration issue, even if you don't have it