A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Sweet smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sweet smell

When I first turn on the AC, I get this sweet smell (like an ice cream shop) for about 30 seconds, then it fades away. Is this normal? Is it coolant I'm smelling?
Old 09-28-2009, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

mine too
Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Probably you mean the smell which is common with the AC systems in general. The smell comes from the uncleanlinesses which pile up little by little in AC system pipes. It is caused by moisture which remains in the AC system pipes. If you turn off the AC a couple of minutes before you stop driving, the pipes will get dry, which reduces the uncleanliness piling up in the system.
If the smell gets bad and is there all the time, you can sanitize the system by yourself or let some air conditioning company (or dealer) do it.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

mine has got a stale smell to it.. reckon it can be repaired under the car maintenance plan?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"Sweet" and "ice cream" aren't the words that come to mind for the rancid moldy A/C smell! Perhaps the piping has been cleaned with something having a nice perfumed smell?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BuzzL
Probably you mean the smell which is common with the AC systems in general. The smell comes from the uncleanlinesses which pile up little by little in AC system pipes. It is caused by moisture which remains in the AC system pipes. If you turn off the AC a couple of minutes before you stop driving, the pipes will get dry, which reduces the uncleanliness piling up in the system.
If the smell gets bad and is there all the time, you can sanitize the system by yourself or let some air conditioning company (or dealer) do it.
thanks, I'll try to get in the habit of doing that. As long as it stays sweet and not stale, I think I can live with it. It's just weird right now.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default AC Smell

I have the same issue on my 2010 A4 Premium+ Quattro Sedan. We both have Brilliant Black, so the color must be the issue

Is your 2009 a new car? I actually posted on this question when I first took delivery of the car. Something doesn't smell quite right to me. Like you, the smell goes away fairly quickly.

Please keep us posted on your car. I think I am going to take mine to the dealer to have it checked out.

Regards,

-- plA4keeps
Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

a little like vanilla. not bad actually.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bimmers2
a little like vanilla. not bad actually.
Exactly! Just wondering if it's from some chemical I shouldn't be enjoying too much
Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by plA4keeps
I have the same issue on my 2010 A4 Premium+ Quattro Sedan. We both have Brilliant Black, so the color must be the issue

Is your 2009 a new car? I actually posted on this question when I first took delivery of the car. Something doesn't smell quite right to me. Like you, the smell goes away fairly quickly.

Please keep us posted on your car. I think I am going to take mine to the dealer to have it checked out.

Regards,

-- plA4keeps
Yeah it could be that black paint Yes, I got it december 08 and remember the smell ever since it became AC season.

Quick Reply: Sweet smell