A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Is there a place, other than here -- i.e., anecdotal -- to find (2 questions):

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Is there a place, other than here -- i.e., anecdotal -- to find (2 questions):

The "percentage" of folks who order their A4's (or Audis in general)?

My wife and I must be "the end of an era," in that we, literally, don't know anyone who has ordered a car, ANY car. Everyone we know just goes to the dealer on "Saturday" and buys a car and brings it home.

Then they "complain" how it either has options and features that they don't want or doesn't have options or features that they DO want; but, they got the color they wanted, but their second choice for the interior.

Maybe these folks make a ton of money and can afford to buy a car not exactly the way they want it and then off-load it "early."

Now, I understand the theory of immediate gratification and I also have empathy for "an immediate need" due to circumstances that may be beyond people's control.

But, I've found "typically" better prices on ordered cars AND exactly what I want. Of course, I have ordered cars and when they come in, "I wish I woulda ordered the "bla bla bla," but that would be no different than taking one off the lot so that I could get it NOW and then wishing the same thing.

I didn't get TPMS or sport suspension on my current 2005 A6 -- the dealer talked me OUT of the sport suspension ($250) telling me that the $1000 upgraded wheels and tires were all I needed (the sport suspension was, according to the dealer, "too stiff.")

I didn't go with the TPMS because it was always "false triggering" in my 2003 allroad.

So, where all this is going, besides the question "how many of us" ORDER vs take from US inventory is the question of whether I should add automatic cruise control (I can still change the order on my upcoming 2009 A4 according to the dealer) the Audi brake assist that comes ONLY with ACC is, perhaps, compelling.

Is ACC really used enough to make it worthwhile?

By the way, I still am glad we, thus far (29 Audis and 3 BMW's) always order (and wait for) the one we want, rather than take one off the lot.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I ordered my A4 back in 2001 and, for buying a new car, I can't think of doing it any other way.

You cut out just about all of the unpleasantness associated with car shopping since you can transact everything via fax, email and phone on your own terms. Pricing is generally favorable since there's little work required on the dealer end compared with maintaining an inventory of cars that you then have to work at selling. And, most important to me, you get *exactly* what you want. Lot shopping makes sense if you're dealing with a more common vehicle with relatively few options, but when you start getting into the redonkulous prices of new cars these days you might as well get exactly what you want.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Every car I've owned...from Porsche to Audi to Subaru to Honda...has been ordered.

Starting in 1966.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How about if you are leasing?

How do you order if you are leasing from AoA? You don't know what the lease rate will be a couple of months down the road.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Default Re: How about if you are leasing?

Personally I don't get the whole "leasing" thing? I just hate the whole idea of being locked into a random contract with mileage restrictions and monthly payments usually higher than financing it.

To each his own...
Old 05-26-2008, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Works for me

I like getting a new car every 2-3 years and I don't drive that many miles a year. Plus why buy/finance a wasting asset?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

As far as ordering is concerned, there's no difference betweeen leasing & buying.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here in Canada monthly payment for financing is always higher than leasing.

Leasing works very well for people who:

a) can write off the lease as a business expense, or
b) people who likes a new car every few years and doesn't want the hassle of selling.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've always ordered my new cars, except for my 2004 allroad 4.2.

I agree that by ordering a vehicle to your specifications, you're far more likely to be satisfied with your purchase. The 2004 allroad never fully satisfied me.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've always ASSUMED that ordering would be more expensive.....

Sounds like that may not be the case. Maybe I'll have to try ordering a B8. Not usually in a huge hurry to get a car. My only desire is to be able to drive a B8 first.

Kerry

Quick Reply: Is there a place, other than here -- i.e., anecdotal -- to find (2 questions):