A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Thinking about switching from '09 BMW 328i to '12 A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:24 AM
equ
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you skip nav, you can build a car with my spec for an even $40k msrp (with leather, lumbar, xenons, b&o, sports, heated/folding seats etc). I think it goes to $44k or so in bmw-land.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 547 Likes on 368 Posts

I built a 2013 328i (no AWD) on the BMW website with an MSRP of around $48,500 when equipped nearly identically to my A4, which is over $3,500 more than the MSRP of my car. Once the X-drive is released, I assume the price will break $50k for the same configuration. At that price, I would spend $3000-$4000 more for a fairly well equipped S4.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
I built a 2013 328i (no AWD) on the BMW website with an MSRP of around $48,500 when equipped nearly identically to my A4, which is over $3,500 more than the MSRP of my car. Once the X-drive is released, I assume the price will break $50k for the same configuration. At that price, I would spend $3000-$4000 more for a fairly well equipped S4.
You're right about waiting for an xdrive BMW. I just test drove a '12 A4 6MT non sport package. It felt ok but I really would need the sport package. This felt a bit numb. Engine was ok...nothing spectacular but the interior is (as all Audis are) fantastically appointed. I do enjoy the BMW, but I'm getting tired of them nickling and diming us and not allowing the customization. I don't like the moonlight blue...it's basically black.

I'd seriously consider european delivery on a '13 A4 6MT sport especially if I could get a cool blue color. Don't want S4 because I don't want 19" rims.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
My dad has a 335i, which I've driven numerous times. I've also driven the 328i (both RWD and X-drive) a coupe of times. Finally, I've driven the X1 with the N20 engine that will come with the new 328i.

Based on my experience, I don't think you will be disappointed with an A4. However, I strongly recommend you get the sport or S-line package. It really transforms the car and makes it handle more like a BMW. Also, I like the Audi 2.0T engine much better than its BMW counterpart. The BMW motor might be slightly more powerful, but the Audi engine is smoother and sounds better. The N20 is surprisingly loud at idle. It literally sounds like a diesel.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Audi EA888 powerplant has been around for a few years and has proven to be pretty reliable. The N20 is brand new and BMW is still having HPFP and injector issues with their turbocharged I6 engines, which is not very reassuring.
In comparison, if serious about '12 BMW and all-wheel is an important option, confirm if '12 BMW all-wheel cuts out about 75mph.
In 2008 it was not full time, perhaps they improved it.
I chose A3 S-line 3.2 quattro in 2008 and at lease end next month replacing it with A4 S-line Avant after 75,000 miles no-problem driving, original brakes just predictive maintenance with Audi parts and Castrol 5-40 synthetic
Happy Motoring
Ed
Old 01-22-2012, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deseronto
... I chose A3 S-line 3.2 quattro in 2008 and at lease end next month replacing it with A4 S-line Avant after 75,000 miles no-problem driving, original brakes just predictive maintenance with Audi parts and Castrol 5-40 synthetic
Happy Motoring
Ed
You may want to start the hunt now, since MY12 Avant production just ended.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
You may want to start the hunt now, since MY12 Avant production just ended.
Yep...I just found out I can't order a MY12...so I'll wait to see what comes out for MY 13. Still haven't given up yet on the MY12 or MY13 BMW 328i sedan. X drive would be nice especiallly after the snow and ice we had here the other night, but I think for the majority of the time in my climate quattro with a/s tires will be fine. Sure would be nice not to have to change tires in the winter with a RWD bmw that I have now.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info Dave. Dealer is confirming to-day.
With your a/s tires, it is the temperature, 7C 45F or colder that is equally important to maximize grip. Rubber compound becomes too hard at lower temperatures. Newer a/s are better but in Canada they must have a snowflake icon on the tire wall indicating Winter use [ 7C 45F or colder]. Even so, they are of little value when it is snowing or snow covered to centre bare road conditions.
For the benefits and reduced risk, 1 set of rims- even black steel $200/4 and appropriate winter tires for snow + everyday cold weather driving, is a smart investment. You'll buy 4 tires anyway over the next 3-4 years, right?

All the best
Ed
Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Be careful, double check that BMW x quattro does not automatically disconnect at speeds 120km 75mph
In 2008 the BMW did, so I leased the Audi
Enjoy
Ed
Old 01-23-2012, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Deseronto
In comparison, if serious about '12 BMW and all-wheel is an important option, confirm if '12 BMW all-wheel cuts out about 75mph.
In 2008 it was not full time, perhaps they improved it.
Not sure where you're getting your information, but X-Drive is and always has been a full-time AWD system. It does not cut out at 75 mph or any other speed. Like Quattro, it has a 40:60 torque split unless slippage is detected.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

financially speaking, BMW's are funny animals. they spec out higher than Audis do, but the dealers slash and burn the MSRP figures to get you in, and then they offer very attractive lease rates on top of that. There is a reason that BMW is a top selling car brand, even during the puke inducing Bangle years. It's because they sell hard on the floor. As an example, I priced out a 335 and an S4 equally equipped and the 335 was about $2k cheaper after haggling. I finally went with the A4 becuase the 3 series was just too small and the fuel economy was abysmal, even on the 328 at the time. I really really wanted a wagon, but Audi does not sell stick wagons anymore, and the 3 series wagon is about the same size as my wife's A3 hatch. So I went with a stick A4 sedan.

The f30 is now bigger, and it comes with an engine that is more powerful and more fuel efficient than Audi's 2.0T. If the wagon follows with a stick, I'm probably changing teams when my lease is up. I love Audis, but they seem to only want to sell me a grey sedan or SUV with an automatic transmission anymore. (that's all they stock!)

Quick Reply: Thinking about switching from '09 BMW 328i to '12 A4