A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Thule Racks Installed on A4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do they sit lower? That's why I was asking for measurements.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You the man, Big6!
I was going to post my pics, but I knew you would beat me to it!

Noise-wise, yes the Audi bars start to howl right around 40MPH, but by 55-60MPH they start to get drowned out by the rest of the car noise at that speed.
This has been my experience, anyway. When it's very windy outside, they make even more unique noises. But then again, so does my driver's side exterior mirror!

And to FreshTracks: Very nice setup, thanks for sharing the alternative to the factory system.
Still wish there was a way to mount bikes via a trailer hitch as Red G8R stated.

Last edited by ~pino~; 07-01-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ~pino~
You the man, Big6!
I was going to post my pics, but I knew you would beat me to it!

Noise-wise, yes the Audi bars start to howl right around 40MPH, but by 55-60MPH they start to get drowned out by the rest of the car noise at that speed.
This has been my experience, anyway. When it's very windy outside, they make even more unique noises. But then again, so does my driver's side exterior mirror!
Cool, I figured you'd chime in eventually.

Here are Pino's measurements for the OEM bars, so hopefully the OP will come back with measurements from this other setup.

Originally Posted by ~pino~
The black feet are just shy of 3" (7.5cm) tall.
The shortest distance between the roofline and the bottom of a rail is 2.5" (6.3cm)
I don't think lower/shorter feet are necessarily better (some want additional height for clearance, etc.), but I'm curious to know the difference between the Thule and Audi parts.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the pictures and the info. I just got my new Avant and have to get rid of my Yakima racks and get these Thule ones. I had the faring on my Yakimas and it really helped with the wind noise. Have any of you installed the faring and if so did it quiet it all down a bit? Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Jealous,
I havent been able to get racks from Thule or Yakima for the A4 Sedan as of yet.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Cool, I figured you'd chime in eventually.

Here are Pino's measurements for the OEM bars, so hopefully the OP will come back with measurements from this other setup.

I don't think lower/shorter feet are necessarily better (some want additional height for clearance, etc.), but I'm curious to know the difference between the Thule and Audi parts.

Sorry for the delayed response. The measurements appear to be pretty close to OEM. The feet are appx 2 1/2" in height from the top of the side rail where the feet attach to the top bottom of the crossbars. At mid roof line the crossbar clearance is about 2 1/2" while the clearance at the side rails is about 3". I threw the snowboard carrier up there and put my board base up/bindings down and there was ample room between the bindings and roof so no issues there.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thule/Yakima/RockyMount

I hope to mount and post some photos of my set up sometime over the weekend. The Thule towers and footpads will work with Thule rectangular bars - but the bars need to have slots machined on bottom sides of the ends - like the slots on the aero bars. RockyMount clips can be used with either Yakima round bars or Thule rectangular bars. I've not put it all together yet but my intention is to use my old Yakima components on Thule rectangular bars using the RockyMount clips. I finally got all the pieces a few weeks ago but my roof leak and busy schedule delayed the assembly. There might be clearance issues with the sunroof - I'll know soon enough. The rectangular bars came from Canada. I picked up the footpads and towers in Sweden and special ordered the RockyMount clips.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey- looks great. I went with the audi bars (there was a 20% sale in june) and the thule atlantis 1600 cargo box. Its amazing how easy on/off the system is.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by toddm1234
Hey- looks great. I went with the audi bars (there was a 20% sale in june) and the thule atlantis 1600 cargo box. Its amazing how easy on/off the system is.
How much were the bars/feet after discount?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

did you trim the middle rubber insert after you mounted the bike trays?

Quick Reply: Thule Racks Installed on A4 Avant