A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Thule Racks Installed on A4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you need a fit kit for the Thule system to fit. I just ordered one and the fit kit was 4007
Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jmgkdg
I believe you need a fit kit for the Thule system to fit. I just ordered one and the fit kit was 4007
Correct!

If you go with a Thule system this is what is needed for our model:

thule-460 or 460R (depening if you want square bars or aerobars)
thule-RB47 aerobars or LB50 for square bars
thule-KIT4007
thule-544 (lock set, optional I guess depending where you live)
Old 03-21-2011, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikos18Tq
Curious with which option you went with as I will need to buy some cross bars in the near future. Flush bar or through bar?
I am doing the through bars, to get a little extra length on the bar. There are one or two trips that we take during the summer, where I need to get two kayak mounts and two bike mounts on the bars, and I need that little extra length on the bar afforded by the through bars to do so. The kayaks go in the center on a pair of Thule 835PRO Hull-a-port Pros, and the bike mounts go pretty much centered over the roof rails. It all works beautifully and securely.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Once you get them can you pm me pics please as I will most likely purchase mine when I will be in Virginia this summer. I'm still on the fence on which ones look better I don't the extra lenght provided by the through bars. So my decision is solely based on perceived esthetics.

Your buying power is still better versus ours even though the dollar is at par.

The funny thing is I will be bringing back the cross bars in my Thule rack as we will be driving the wife's 5 series Touring (more cargo spage vs. the Avant)!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Once you get them can you pm me pics please as I will most likely purchase mine when I will be in Virginia this summer. I'm still on the fence on which ones look better I don't the extra lenght provided by the through bars. So my decision is solely based on perceived esthetics.

Your buying power is still better versus ours even though the dollar is at par.

The funny thing is I will be bringing back the cross bars in my Thule rack as we will be driving the wife's 5 series Touring (more cargo spage vs. the Avant)!
If you don't need the extra length, why not get the cleaner design with the flush mount?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by archrenov8
If you don't need the extra length, why not get the cleaner design with the flush mount?
I here ya but believe it or not still on the fence for the look. Yes I know it's sounds crazy!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I here ya but believe it or not still on the fence for the look. Yes I know it's sounds crazy!
Not really. I prefer the look of it coming through, because it expresses the form and function, and is a clean detail. I like seeing the contrast between the silver finish of the rail, and the black of the fitting, as well as the dark painted finish of the roof (assuming a dark paint finish). But that is the architect in me- I like details.

I will order my WhispBars a week or so after picking up my Avant. We don't start needing bike racks mounted until May, and kayaks until June anyway.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by archrenov8
Not really. I prefer the look of it coming through, because it expresses the form and function, and is a clean detail. I like seeing the contrast between the silver finish of the rail, and the black of the fitting, as well as the dark painted finish of the roof (assuming a dark paint finish). But that is the architect in me- I like details.

I will order my WhispBars a week or so after picking up my Avant. We don't start needing bike racks mounted until May, and kayaks until June anyway.
We have similar reasons then as I too like the contrasting effect of the aluminum with the black.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

We have similar reasons then as I too like the contrasting effect of the aluminum with the black.
Sorry it took so long to post pics. It was a busy spring (my daughter got married) and summer came oh so quickly afterwards.

I love my Whispbars (through-bar setup). With no accessories mounted, I hear nothing with the windows closed. And very little mpg difference.

With 2 bikes and 2 kayaks up there, still much quieter than Thule Aero bars on my former X3.

We just took a long trip over the weekend, with just the empty folded kayak holders on there, and recorded 30.9 mpg. I was very pleased.

I do get the occasional whistle with the empty kayak holders on there, when driving around town. But more often than not, no whistle at all.

For my needs, the through-bar was an absolute, because it is the only way that I could put two kayaks and two bikes up there at the same time.

When I am not using the bikes, I pull them off and just leave the folding kayak mounts up there. I am able to install the bike rails outside the mounting brackets, on the portion of the bar that extends past the roof rails.
Attached Images      

Last edited by archrenov8; 08-16-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

loving my whispbars... but when the sunroof is open, there is nothing quiet about em!

Quick Reply: Thule Racks Installed on A4 Avant