A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain

My husband has a 2011 Audi A4 2.0 and we are having mechanic change the timing chains, and we would llike to know if the timing has to be set on all the chains or just on one of the chains? The Audi has 3 chains
Old 09-04-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dejesus0421
My husband has a 2011 Audi A4 2.0 and we are having mechanic change the timing chains, and we would llike to know if the timing has to be set on all the chains or just on one of the chains? The Audi has 3 chains
There are timing marks on the cams and the crank. There is a procedure on how these need to be aligned as the chains are installed I would assume your mechanic knows the procedure but if he doesn't I would have him stop and get the car to someone who knows how it goes together. My other question is why would you be asking this question.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Because we didn't know the answer but we found the answer somewhere else. Thanks
Old 09-04-2018, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,752 Posts

Timing normally refers to the alignment of the cam shafts and crank shaft on the cam shafts chain, but it's also important to get the balance shafts aligned with the crank shaft on the balance shafts chain too. There's a set procedure for both chains to align things correctly.
I had the guide and tensioner for the oil pump chain replaced. But replacing the chain itself means dropping the oil pan and the dealership engine tech said that's never a problem area. I doubt that chain has any alignment considerations.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Because we didn't know the answer but we found the answer somewhere else. Thanks
Interesting as if the mechanic didn't know the answer then my position would be to not have him do the job. So where did you find your answer and was it different from those posted here.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

I've been out of town for awhile, but I returned home yesterday to find a Volkswagen Timing Chain Settlement in my mail. I haven't read it thoroughly yet, since I traded in my B8 two and a half years ago, but it might be something you'll want to look into.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 550 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I've been out of town for awhile, but I returned home yesterday to find a Volkswagen Timing Chain Settlement in my mail. I haven't read it thoroughly yet, since I traded in my B8 two and a half years ago, but it might be something you'll want to look into.
There has been much discussion of this on other forums. Unfortunately, the extended warranty on the timing system is nearly worthless because Audi will not approve a tensioner and chain replacement until the engine has been damaged or a CEL is illuminated because of a timing failure. No preemptive replacements are covered. This "settlement" certainly makes me less likely to consider an Audi in the future.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2013 AUDI A4 TIMING CHAIN

I have a 2013 AUDI A4 with 93k miles I came from work and i parked it and the next day did not start,the check engine and epc light came on. I called the AUDI ROAD SERVICES and they towed it to the Audi dealer services center in Mohegan lake Audi in New York and it turned out the timing chain the cylinders and turbo went..now, the Dealer called me and we need to replace for a new engine and the cost $8K. THIS IS INSINE, WE ARE TALKING ABOU AN AUDI CAR.
PLEASE ANYONE CAN RECOMMEND ME WHAT TO DO IN THIS CASE?

This is my third audi and I have never had this problem and I am very disappointed

Thanks, this is my email address: hugopereirarivas@gmail.com
Old 09-09-2018, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,752 Posts

https://www.timingchainlitigation.com/
Don't pay a dime.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

timing and balance shaft chains have to be in proper alignment to engine at TDC, but not oil pump chain

Quick Reply: Timing Chain