A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Tires feathering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires feathering?

I have a 2015 A4 with the sport package on, so it came with the 19" Conti's. I got the car last December so I put my winter tires on it right away. Been running the OEM tires for 5 or 6 thousand miles. I have been noticing a lot of tire noise. Seems like I'm driving a dump truck. I put my winter tires on last week and felt the tread of the OEM tires. They are uneven on outer tread. They almost fell lumpy. Looking at some tire wear charts it looks like that is called "feathering". I had some alignment issues with the car when new and it has been on the rack 5 times at two different dealerships. I was told by the dealership that my car is "dialed". So I contacted the dealer which told me that and asked them about my tires. They say it is normal for an Audi because it has 4 link suspension and because its a Quattro. Now I drive 47 miles one way to work on the interstate. 90% of my driving is on the interstate. Is this really normal or is something wrong here? I check the tire pressures at least once a month with a good gauge.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In my opinion...

… that has not been my experience for any of the Audi's I have owned. Very slight cupping was seen in my B7 A4 Cabriolet (with 18" sport package and UHP tires). Is this more pronounced in the front or back? The feathering can be caused by an alignment issue, wheel bent or out-of-round, or also a balance issue. As such, it should be on only one tire. Do you feel any vibration at speed? Are you rotating your tires - Audi's are brutal on front tires. I generally run my tires near the top recommended pressure.

The feathering issues that I have consistently dealt with are on large SUV's with independent suspension in the rear. It hard to keep them aligned perfectly if you are using them off-road, so I finally gave up and suffered uneven wear. Still achieved 30-40K miles however, much of it at lowered pressure for flotation (18-20psi).

Good luck and keep us posted

Eric
Old 11-12-2015, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Front tires are worse for sure. Dealership says bring in tires for a warranty claim, but the issue will return. Doesn't sound right to me.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agreed...

Here is a strategy:

1. Get the new tires under warranty
2. Keep them at maximum pressure suggested by Audi (on the Driver's door Jam)
3. Watch for uneven "feathering" as that would be a signal for any of the above mentioned problems.
4. Rotate at 5K as the rears on Audis have a much easier life.
5. Check out other Audis in parking lots or used versions on a dealer lot to see if the tires have similar wear.

If you still get feathering or "cupping" as I have heard (although that is a bit different - the tread blocks have an edge to them) - go back to the dealer.

Good luck…

Eric
Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Below is the email I got from the dealership:

Well, you should have copies of the alignments that show the vehicle is in spec. However, it is somewhat normal for Audi’s to have the “feathering” issue. It is due to the type of suspension they use (four link), along with being all wheel drive. It’s still worth checking into, but it will re-occur. Just FYI.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Camss57
I have a 2015 A4 with the sport package on, so it came with the 19" Conti's. I got the car last December so I put my winter tires on it right away. Been running the OEM tires for 5 or 6 thousand miles. I have been noticing a lot of tire noise. Seems like I'm driving a dump truck. I put my winter tires on last week and felt the tread of the OEM tires. They are uneven on outer tread. They almost fell lumpy. Looking at some tire wear charts it looks like that is called "feathering". I had some alignment issues with the car when new and it has been on the rack 5 times at two different dealerships. I was told by the dealership that my car is "dialed". So I contacted the dealer which told me that and asked them about my tires. They say it is normal for an Audi because it has 4 link suspension and because its a Quattro. Now I drive 47 miles one way to work on the interstate. 90% of my driving is on the interstate. Is this really normal or is something wrong here? I check the tire pressures at least once a month with a good gauge.
I have the exact same situation. 2015 S4 purchased in December. Rotated tires at 5000 miles with no sign of wear. I rotated the tires last weekend with 14,000 miles and the rear tires have cupping (feathering) on the inside edge. Continentals. Tires roar and sound like dry grinding bearings, but I know it is not that. I cannot understand why the rear tires have this wear. Found your post because I wanted to hear what others are saying. I found causes like out of balance and bad wheel bearings but don't buy it. The Audi suspension is a new one. I am going to get Michelins next month and hopefully I won't see the cupping again I have to believe it has to do with tire brand.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well my dealership said Continental offers no warranty on feathering. Dealership is offering to pay 75% for new tires which is still over $500. I need to speak with them further and see if I can get a different tire brand. Will update tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same feathering problem on 2015 A4 2.0 S-Line PP

I am just experiencing same problem.
Feathering of all 4 tires (OEM Pirellis 18'') on the outer side front, and more pronounced on the back tires. Tires worn on outer side within 20K highway miles.
Will replace with Michelins but certain the problem will still occur.
Never had this problem with A4 Quattros since 1996 to today. This is new behavior to me in Audis; a particularity of the suspension?
Old 04-30-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Absolutely redicoulus reply from your dealer There is no way in hell. The only thing is that they want to get rid of the issue, and hope that you are an easy pushover.

Correct alignment and 245/35-19 for me, and even wear on all four tires. 225/45-18 on studded winter tires, and same thing with them.

You have an issue with your car and they have to sort it out for you.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

DO we assume that everyone had a 4 wheel alignment done after the installation of the new tires. Also looking at the Audi specifications and the spec provided by the aligner do they both meet. the requirement. Also are you using the recommended tire size by Audi for your MY car. Last look at this info and consider if you have any of these issues. https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...ing-tire-wear/

Quick Reply: Tires feathering?