A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Top Down Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Down Oil Changes

Hi everybody,

First post here so I hope this post does not get lost in the forum.

I bought my dad
this this
oil extractor so he can change his trucks oil a little easier than the conventional method. He has had good success doing it, so I am considering buying one for myself.

Questions for the forum
1. Does anybody have experience with top down oil changes?
2. Any experience with that particular model I listed in link above?
3. Could I theoretically change the transmission fluid, brake fluid etc. with this extractor? Would there be a reason I would not want to use this method?

2011 Audi A4 Quattro Premium Plus w/ ~55k miles

Thanks for the help,

-AR
Old 03-11-2016, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

AR, I own that unit and a couple others. I've been extracting for a few years. Got tired of pulling off that belly pan just to get at the drain plug.

Let's see, my father had the same Topsider unit. It lasted him a few years and then a seal must have failed. Mine is still going strong, but I don't use it often. It's great for small extractions.

Yes, you can basically extract any fluid you want....just don't cross-contaminate.

I bought this sucker a couple years ago. It's driven by a compressor, similar to what the dealers use, but a 1/4 of the price:

Name:  scouts_013_zps903101b9.jpg
Views: 2969
Size:  88.1 KB

She sucks with the best of 'em !
Old 03-11-2016, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the information, I found that extractor on Harbor Freight for ~$145.

You mentioned do not cross contaminate between fluids. Is a simple flush with soap water necessary or do you have separate units? One for engine oil, one for brake fluid, transmission fluid etc.

-Andrew R
Old 03-12-2016, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

Andrew, I don't go to that much effort cleaning. Just ensure the tip is clean.

The Harbor Fright unit has 5 different probes included so your suggestion works, too.

I think the HF extractor can still be had for around $100 with all their silly coupon deals and "sales".
Old 03-12-2016, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 10 qt. hand pump vacuum system and it works for all of my cars. With a lot of the newer cars relocating their oil filters to the top of the engine it makes the oil change simple and clean.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a Mityvac years ago and will never go back to down below oil changes.

However, there is an advantage to down below oil changes. Get it up in the air, belly pan off, and you can look around for trouble.

That HF thing looks pretty serious.

My latest pumper is a 6 quart ball, breaks down nicely and fits into its little box up on a shelf. My space is precious to me. Was around $50 on amazon.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a Mityvac years ago and will never go back to down below oil changes.

However, there is an advantage to down below oil changes. Get it up in the air, belly pan off, and you can look around for trouble.

That HF thing looks pretty serious.

My latest pumper is a 6 quart ball, breaks down nicely and fits into its little box up on a shelf. My space is precious to me. Was around $50 on amazon.

I should add that my 90k mile engine insides look basically brand new clean inside, looking into the valve cover under the oil separator. Mobil 1 Euro spec oil changes through the dipstick always at 10k miles or less. A couple of spots of wet sludge perched on top of cam bearing brackets, otherwise fresh clean aluminium. My engine has no lumpy stuff in the crankcase just waiting to drop out of the oil drain hole. If it did, I am sure most of it would not exit in that manner.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just did my first oil change on my 2.0 A4 and now see a oil puddle in the driveway. I've never changed the washer before on any car and never had an issue. It looks like I am getting a new crush washer and going with the oil extractor for the rest of the oil changes. I had a 02 Passat with the 1.8 and going from the top did the oil change in about 20 minutes. Fast and easy - except mine is a manual pump extractor. I may upgrade to the shop air so it sucks more.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Those pumpers are quite handy. My family and friends use them to change the oil in their boat engines. Just don't accidentally flip the switch the wrong way or you'll be covered in oil, and yes, I'm talking from experience!