A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

track day question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 05:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track day question?

Can anyone list out the race tracks around DC metro area? Since I bought my A4b8(with APR-stg1) in May I've been dying to get to a track and try it out.

I will be pleased if you guys can share your experience and few tips for an armature wannabe racer like me?

Thanks in advance...
-Jai
Old 09-16-2009, 05:29 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Join the Audi Club of North America. You will automatically become a member of your local chapter. The ACNA is an educational non-profit that does tons of high performance driving schools at tracks. Take a look at the website.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's good advice from 4Driver4. I am an ACNA member who has taken advantage of the Ohio Valley Chapter's excellent Drivers' Course at Mid-Ohio in my former ride, a 2006 A4 2.0T Quattro with 6MT (see photo taken on the course as I careened through an S turn at a blinding 35 mph!). It's a two day course held every July. I'm sure you'll find similar events closer to your home once you sign up with ACNA. Track rookies like myself receive a half day of instruction in class and in practice areas off the track, with track time allocated over the balance of the weekend with an ACNA volunteer instructor on board. You can get a sign off to "fly solo" once you develop a sufficient level of competency (which I did not). The Mid-Ohio and ACNA instructors were top notch, and I came away from the experience a better driver with a much better sense of the capabilities of my Audi. On my last run, I managed to get her up to 125 mph on the back straight (a snail's pace compared to the veterans on the course), but the real fun comes from negotiating through the turns and hills with tires squealing and chirping as you try to push the envelope a bit more aggressively with each lap. The sponsoring Chapter will give you plenty of advice before the event on what to bring and what to expect. You'll have to pass a safety inspection before going on the track (should be no problem with a new B8). I was also advised to buy a torque wrench to retorque the lug nuts after each run, and that was a good investment to keep on board at all times in any event. You can rent a helmet if you don't want to invest in one, which can be pricey if you only expect to do this occassionally. I'm sure others on this forum can give you some tips on where to get a good deal on a helmet if you want to purchase one. Also, check with your insurance company to make sure you are covered -- it's a "driving school" and not a race, but it's better to ensure you are covered before you hit the track. Be safe and have fun!
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kdonovan
Also, check with your insurance company to make sure you are covered -- it's a "driving school" and not a race, but it's better to ensure you are covered before you hit the track. Be safe and have fun!
you brought up a good point - Insurance! I didn't think about it...
Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jai-B8-A4
you brought up a good point - Insurance! I didn't think about it...
Most insurance companies will deny coverage if the car is driven at a place where timed races could be held - regardless if it's school or whatnot. Driving at a track is most likely not covered.