A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Transmission Mystery Solved (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Mystery Solved (hopefully)

I know that this topic has been discussed here but no one ever had a definite answer or solution to the transmission problems with our B8's. Well here is my story. I have a 2009 A4 Avan Premium with auto tranny. About 3 weeks ago I started noticing that when it shifted from 3rd. to 4th. gear while at 50-60mph I felt an abnormal jerk. About 2 weeks my wife was dropping our son at school and when she started the car and shifted it in to a reverse the car would not move, she had to restart the car twice to make it finally move. I immediately made a next day appointment at Rector Motors in Burlingame and had my engine and transmission software updated. At first I felt that it did a trick and I was very happy about it but the next day it started jerking again and at one point when I was starting at the stop sign my car hesitated for a second or two and then suddenly slammed in to a gear. Needless to say I ended up at the dealership again, I had a chance to speak with Pat the mechanic who updated the software a day before and have been told that it might be a transmission oil filter which could have detached and the tranny now was sucking fluid and air at the same time which could have caused the "stop sign" and the "reverse" phenomenon. Later during the day I received a call from my service adviser Paul and have been told that in fact the transmission oil filter did detach and was laying on the oil pan. They have reattached the filter with an updated "o" ring (cause of the problem).

Apparently Audi is aware of the problem and requires dealers to first update the software and if it does not fixes the problem only then drop the oil pan and check for a dropped filter. I think my problem have finally been fixed thanks to the patient and knowledgeable staff at Rector Motors. If any of you experiencing symptoms like mine I suggest you take your vehicle to the dealer immediately and have them check for a dropped tranny filter. I recommend Paul Medina @ Rector as he and Pat are well aware of the problem and will get you back up and running at no time.

On a personal note Paul lent me his 3.0T A6 which was a blast to drive, I can only wish that A4 would come with that engine.

Last edited by vtheman; 03-09-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vtheman

On a personal note Paul lent me his 3.0T A6 which was a blast to drive, I can only wish that A4 would come with that engine.
I believe the 3.0T in the A6 is essentially the same engine as in the S4.