A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Trip Computer ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip Computer ??

I do not own an A4 but went for a ride in one today. So I do not have an owners manual.
Question-
How do you view the Trip Computer/Avg fuel economy/Instant fuel economy/Miles to empty on the dashboard?
I pressed the "Mode" button on the steering wheel spoke but it only circulated through the radio controls and some other function, but I didn't see any way to view what I'm looking for. I have a VW Passat and thought it would be similar but apparently it isn't or I'm doing something wrong.

I'd appreciate any help this forum can provide.
Thanks,
Old 03-26-2011, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Aloha
I do not own an A4 but went for a ride in one today. So I do not have an owners manual.
Question-
How do you view the Trip Computer/Avg fuel economy/Instant fuel economy/Miles to empty on the dashboard?
I pressed the "Mode" button on the steering wheel spoke but it only circulated through the radio controls and some other function, but I didn't see any way to view what I'm looking for. I have a VW Passat and thought it would be similar but apparently it isn't or I'm doing something wrong.

I'd appreciate any help this forum can provide.
Thanks,
There is a button on the bottom edge of the wiper stalk you can feel with your thumb, pressing cycles through the TC modes, including the hidden lap timer/oil temp and efficiency screens if they have been enabled with VCDS. For some menus holding that button will reset the value, and for others you can use the stalk end rocker switch to change sub-items.

Last edited by Jason H; 03-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trip computer is not included in Premium trim cars. Only miles to empty can be displayed in the MFD (multi-function display.) These cars lack the two extra switches on the end and bottom of the wiper stalk.

Some have suggested that the hardware is identical between the various models, and swapping the stalk cluster (wiper, turn signal, and cruise control is a single assembly) and changing the vehicle coding could bring the function to life, but I have not seen it done.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Moviela
The trip computer is not included in Premium trim cars. Only miles to empty can be displayed in the MFD (multi-function display.) These cars lack the two extra switches on the end and bottom of the wiper stalk.

Some have suggested that the hardware is identical between the various models, and swapping the stalk cluster (wiper, turn signal, and cruise control is a single assembly) and changing the vehicle coding could bring the function to life, but I have not seen it done.
It has been done. It is as simple as changing the stalks and re coding the instrument panel.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Moviela

DavidB5 is correct, Cabal_san has swapped over the stalks and can cycle through the trip computer with the buttons...

I have enabled the trip computer coding through VCDS and, although I do not have the stalk buttons, I can cycle through the trip computer in the CAR menu on my radio...