A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Troubleshooting MMI 3G

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drgertol
@sm87 -- Check out this thread from one of the forums on a5oc: https://www.a5oc.com/threads/upgradi...imedia.180005/

This fellow from Romania put together a big system patch to convert an MMI3G High (HNav) system into the functional equivalent of an MMI3G Plus (HN+) system.
No word yet if his patch can be applied to HNav_US systems, but this is potentially a very-big-deal, IMO. --g
I'm from Lithuania, not Romania
And yes, US build is available.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mjan
Sorry for the confusion, @mjan -- duly noted ! --g
Old 01-21-2024, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Labas @mjan! That looks really cool, I'd be happy to give it a spin if you're looking for any more testers.
In that thread you mentioned Google maps activation - does that still work if we no longer have 3g around here? Or is this new version able to use the cellphone for data via bluetooth?

The fact it enables new bluetooth functions is a nice surprise, is that due to new firmware/drivers or the implementation was just missing in the Java layers?
Old 01-21-2024, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sm87
Labas @mjan! That looks really cool, I'd be happy to give it a spin if you're looking for any more testers.
In that thread you mentioned Google maps activation - does that still work if we no longer have 3g around here? Or is this new version able to use the cellphone for data via bluetooth?

The fact it enables new bluetooth functions is a nice surprise, is that due to new firmware/drivers or the implementation was just missing in the Java layers?
Google maps can still work via 2g (which, at least in europe, is what it falls back to when there's no 3g), albeit a little bit slower. In fact I think the 3g High units only had 2g to begin with (But I may be wrong).
The 3G High -> 3G+ implementation is not a 'reskin' of 3g high, it does run not only java HMI layer of 3g+, but also every single native qnx app of 3g+, therefore it becomes a real 3g+.
And yes, the biggest challenge was the so called 'firmware' and low level driver modifications, to make it work.

Old 01-21-2024, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Google maps can still work via 2g (which, at least in europe, is what it falls back to when there's no 3g), albeit a little bit slower. In fact I think the 3g High units only had 2g to begin with (But I may be wrong).
The 3G High -> 3G+ implementation is not a 'reskin' of 3g high, it does run not only java HMI layer of 3g+, but also every single native qnx app of 3g+, therefore it becomes a real 3g+.
And yes, the biggest challenge was the so called 'firmware' and low level driver modifications, to make it work.
You're probably right on 2g vs 3g, in US looks like only T-mobile still operates 2g and they plan to shut it down in April 2024. MMI SIM might be carrier specific anyway and the ATT/Verison 2g signals are long gone.
Also is the J9 JVM still going to stay the same? Writing Java 1.4 style code was a heck of a throwback w/o generics and having to do "new Integer()" lol.
Anyway, like I said, I'd be happy to try it out either way
Old 01-22-2024, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You're probably right on 2g vs 3g, in US looks like only T-mobile still operates 2g and they plan to shut it down in April 2024. MMI SIM might be carrier specific anyway and the ATT/Verison 2g signals are long gone.
Also is the J9 JVM still going to stay the same? Writing Java 1.4 style code was a heck of a throwback w/o generics and having to do "new Integer()" lol.
Anyway, like I said, I'd be happy to try it out either way
I'd suggest not to waste time looking at the java HMI part.
It is large & bloated, full of issues and there is nothing special that can be 'unlocked' or uncovered, without editing the native qnx apps.
The amount of things that the so called DSI protocol let's you do or see is pretty much exactly what is already implemented in HMI via various menus, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drgertol
Interesting that you suggest that. Someone over on an a5oc forum just shared a "custom" HN+R_EU firmware that appears to be used to enable nav map display on certain A6/7/8 instrument cluster display units. The lsd.jxe blob has been "hacked" from the original HN+R_EU_AU_K0942 ifs-root.ifs image file (the custom JXE is about 8 MB smaller than the production version produced by H-B). But hacking the production JXE shouldn't be necessary if the listener object/service can be added as a separate JAR and added to the initial j9 configuration in /mnt/efs-system/lsd/lsd.sh. --g
It was done solely for the purpose of speeding up the boot and render time.
8MB of code bloat removed, and in some cases my build boot up time is cut almost by half!
Old 01-22-2024, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

It was done solely for the purpose of speeding up the boot and render time.
8MB of code bloat removed, and in some cases my build boot up time is cut almost by half!
I don't doubt at all that you found all that code bloat. My quick poke through some of the LSD java classes that I decompiled last year suggested to me that H-B and 3SOFT (dreisoft.de) didn't spend much time optimizing their own code. Of course, the broken myaudiconnect_nodataconnection.jar and various other little broken bits in, say, the GEM and /scripts offers some insight to their priorities (or lack thereof). Maybe someday we can get a (virtual) tour of your dev environment. Cheers --g
Old 01-22-2024, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Google Earth video overlay through the pass-through service offered by audi-mib.bg works (mostly) -- I bought his solution back in early '21 for our MMI3GP; this screengrab from a recent visit with family in WNY:

(the green status indicator at the top of the overlay tells us the gemmi client is connected to the pass-through server -- client command line args described here: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...iguration-File). What other 10+ y-o car has this ? BTW, my internet data is from a mobile LTE router through a USB Ethernet connection (described here: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...st-3G-Shutdown). --g

Last edited by drgertol; 01-22-2024 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'd suggest not to waste time looking at the java HMI part.
It is large & bloated, full of issues and there is nothing special that can be 'unlocked' or uncovered, without editing the native qnx apps.
The amount of things that the so called DSI protocol let's you do or see is pretty much exactly what is already implemented in HMI via various menus, nothing more, nothing less.
Yeah, it's a classic Java application... I had the same observation regarding DSI, it's the keys to the kingdom of you will, I'm messing in Java to call the StorageAccess interface outside the HMI process (essentially a non violent way to access c and share the /dev/dsi/data file with the HMI process). If you have something like the native pc (persistence client) util mentioned earlier that's definitely a more elegant way to go.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting MMI 3G