A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Turbo replacement on A4 (B8)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo replacement on A4 (B8)

Over the last couple months, I have been working with my dealer to repair a recurring VCD 5671 (boost pressure) error which was causing the check engine light to come on. Eventually, the decision was made to replace the turbo (after replacing related valves and hoses).

The code has not re-occurred, but more importantly, engine performance has improved dramatically. My A4 has never worked better - it's like having a new car.

Since it was new I had always felt there was some lag on initial acceleration at low RPM, but had gotten used to it. This is my first A4 and first turbo of any kind - so I assumed some lag was to be expected.

Even though I had complained, I hadn't had much success convincing the dealer there was a performance problem. That was until the check engine light started coming on two months ago as a result of the 5671 code. Since the turbo lag has always been there and the check engine light is a recent phenomenon, there's really no way to prove they are related.

Regardless, I'm quite happy with the fix and the unexpected performance boost. I'm concerned it took this long to achieve that. The other concern is that without the 5671 code to convince Audi to put a new turbo in, I'm quite certain I would still be living with performance that was not up to par. As they worked the problem, the service guys had spent considerable time on the phone with their Volkswagon techline support folks and had taken the vehicle for numerous test runs, so I was surprised no one mentioned that performance didn't seem to be what it should. The goal was only to eliminate the 5671 CEL.

It's difficult to say whether I had a defective turbo (small pressure leak maybe) or if Audi has made improvements in their A4 turbo's which I received as replacement.

Anyway - if you're having performance issues on your A4 B8 2.0 with or without the 5671 code, I would suggest speaking to the dealer about a turbo replacement. It only took half a day to do the replacement (and it was under warranty).

Last edited by bradaudi; 12-11-2011 at 05:39 AM.