A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

VAG-COM Help Request

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAG-COM Help Request

Hey, folks. Been playing around with the new car (2010 A4 S-Line), and can't get the following VCDS mods to work. I've managed to complete all the mods on my list but these three. Wondering if anyone out there has gotten these to work on the latest MY2010 cars, and if so, what alternate coding instructions are you using? TIA for any help...

1. Adjustable Footwell Lighting
09 Cent. Elect.
Coding 07
Long Coding Helper
Byte 16, enable bits 0 and 1 (enable front and rear footwell lights)
Then in the hidden menu go to car, carmenuoperation, interior light from 0 to 1, then hit return and go to cardevicelist, enable Interior light. Finally reset the MMI.

The ambient lighting screen shows up selectable for just a second, then grays-out quickly. I can adjust the level, but then it immediately resets to zero and I never get the footwell lights to come on. My 3G MMI already came with the bits enabled for front and rear lights, but just to be sure I disabled and re-enabled them multiple times, each followed by a MMI reset. Still won't allow the adjustment to take and goes grayed-out shortly afterwards. Very weird.

2. Rear Fog Lights Stay On With High-beams
[09 – Cent. Elect.]
[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 4 Bit 1(or 2?) - Change 1 to 0

I actually don't have either of the bits available to change under Byte 4 in my VCDS long coding helper menu for this control module. Anyone who can figure this one out is my hero...

3. VIM
Followed these instructions: http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Articles_VIM.html

I did the manual serial number decoding, and it accepted first try. After that, the rest of the VCDS adaptation goes fine, accepts without error. Upon MMI reset, nothing. When I do a control module fault code scan, it shows there is a communication issue with the MMI. If I go back into VCDS and adapt back to the original number (1 in my case), no more fault code. I think I'm just screwed on this one, being it's showing a fault code with channel 48 set to 255. Thoughts anyone?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I enabled ambiance lighting but the procedure is different for me since I have MMI-low (ie non-Nav) and therefore do not have a hidden menu.

However, I think someone was running into the same issue in one of these threads:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...light=ambiance
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...20#post5252766

As for the rear fogs mod, I'll check for the availability of those missing bits the next time I fire up VCDS.

HTH
Old 05-11-2010, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the links. Looks like I've got a couple of manual byte recoding strings I can try. Hopefully one will work. Also, helps to know the bit layout as posted.

Yeah, let me know sometime what you come up with regarding the rear fogs. Interested to see if the latest MMI version is the cause. Again, thanks for the links and info.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, just got in from another trial, and have good news to report for the Ambient Lighting and VID mods. Both appear to have taken without errors. Thanks to ItsDubC and DavidB8 for their help in getting me the proper coding. Here's what you need to know to get these to work on a 2010 3G MMI (either Prestige or S-Line pkgs):

1. Adjustable Footwell Lighting (Ambient Lighting)
09 Cent. Elect.
Coding 07
Long Coding Helper
Click on Byte 16, and you should have the following stock setting: binary = 0000 1111 (hex = 0F). To enable Ambient Lighting, enter either of the following codes: binary = 0100 1111 (hex = 4F). Apparently, 0100 0011 will also work, but I didn't verify as the first code worked.
Then in the hidden menu, go to car/carmenuoperation/interior light and change the slider from 0 to 1. Then hit return and go to cardevicelist and enable (check) the Interior Light item.
Finally reset the MMI (hold down Setup,Center Button, and Upper Right Button - then release to reset).

3. VIM
Followed these instructions: http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Articles_VIM.html again, using manual decoding of my serial number, and for whatever reason, it accepted just fine without a fault code. I'll fully test it tonight to make sure, but looks to be a go. Follow the instructions exactly in order and exactly as-described. My stock setting for Channel 48 was 1, it's now changed to 255 per the instructions. Don't know why it worked this time, but I'll take it!