A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Weird steering wheel shudder/noise at extremely slow speed??!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewsjl
However, go read the TSB - the diagnostic procedure is clear. Dealers can't just go skipping the steps in the TSB and ordering parts on customer instructions/wishes. It just doesn't work that way.
I'll take you word for it (don't know were to find TSB's to be honest). But my point is that Audi should either allow the part to be ordered up front such that the customer doesn't have to make 2 trips to the dealer. OR the dealer should speculate on the part for customer good will. How much is this part? What are the chances of them needing it for another car that comes in since there actually is a TSB?

Seems like keeping one power steering hose as inventory would be minimal risk and elevate the customer experience. Or - for some period of time (next year or so) Audi USA should allow dealers pre-order parts for this TSB without risk of "eating" the cost since it's a known problem. Keep the requirement to prove that the part is needed once the care comes in, but if then if it actually does, the replacement can be completed immediately - minimal downtime for the customer.

Just my opinion, which isn't probably worth anything.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by need_TQM
Seems like keeping one power steering hose as inventory would be minimal risk and elevate the customer experience. Or - for some period of time (next year or so) Audi USA should allow dealers pre-order parts for this TSB without risk of "eating" the cost since it's a known problem. Keep the requirement to prove that the part is needed once the care comes in, but if then if it actually does, the replacement can be completed immediately - minimal downtime for the customer.

I agree with you here. The customer experience could be enhanced by keeping some parts on hand. However, Audi has determined that their model of ship when needed works for them (for the moment). I would also guess that some bean counter has done the maths on working out whether it's cheaper to produce/hold stock at every dealer or ship to dealer as necessary. Bean counters aren't really very good at measuring customer satisfaction ;-)

One of the problems with keeping dealers with 'stock' inventory is the multitude of parts and versions of parts in the current models. Very little is 'common'. Yes, it doesn't apply here but in other cases it does.

I've resigned myself to the fact that if my car goes in for work it is usually a 2-visit job. One to diagnose and another to actually fix.

Cheers,

John.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take you word for it (don't know were to find TSB's to be honest). But my point is that Audi should either allow the part to be ordered up front such that the customer doesn't have to make 2 trips to the dealer. OR the dealer should speculate on the part for customer good will. How much is this part? What are the chances of them needing it for another car that comes in since there actually is a TSB?

I had the problem for a year and honestly, is it that important that you need it done RIGHT NOW? Go in for a service get it inspected and get your car on the TSB. Next time you go for service get it done. There's no need to go to the dealer twice.

Telling Audi that they need to keep an inventory of parts is pointless. You don't even know if they can order the part without a TSB on a car.

Relax the wheels not going to fall off.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaniemeanie
I had the problem for a year and honestly, is it that important that you need it done RIGHT NOW? Go in for a service get it inspected and get your car on the TSB. Next time you go for service get it done. There's no need to go to the dealer twice.

Telling Audi that they need to keep an inventory of parts is pointless. You don't even know if they can order the part without a TSB on a car.

Relax the wheels not going to fall off.
I am relaxed -- my car doesn't even have this issue. Just pointing out ways that Audi could improve their customer experience at very little cost. Never said it had to be done RIGHT NOW -- but it would be nice if you didn't have to make multiple trips to the dealer (for some of us it's significant time investment to make that trip) for something they know is an issue.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

customer experience at very little cost
That is debatable. For the wide and differing configurations (and solutions) that TSBs apply to the dealers would have to have a considerable stock of parts on hand - not to mention the additional logistics involved.

I agree that measure to do 'single visit' services would be good - it's just not that practical.

John.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Got my car back with the new steering hose and not only is the low speed shudder gone but I feel like the steering is more responsive/better at lower speeds than before even when there wasn't shudder. Happy
Old 03-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well that is certainly awesome news.... I have my appointment tomorrow so some guy can say that I need the hose, which I already know..but anyway can't wait for it... finally my car will feel like what it is supposed to feel like when I am moving around in a parking lot...
Old 03-07-2010, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just went in for a 5000 maintenance. Told them about the steering wheel shutter problem. They took a look at the car and told me that a steering hose needs to be replaced. They kept the car for a day and fixed the issue
Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I went in today to get my "go ahead" for the power steering hose and luckily they had one in stock. They gave me an A3 S-Line TDI with those awesome 19" wheels...other than the wheels let's just say I'm not much of a hatchback kinda guy, but the seats where nice and I love that 3 spoke steering wheels with the perforations. So back to the power steering problem... the hose fixed everything like people have been saying on this thread.. Thank God!! I'm finally driving a flawless german sedan..
Old 03-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Steering column replacement

After getting some sqeaking/rubbing noises when turning my 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige, the dealer say he is going replace the steering clomn. Has anyoine ever hear of this?

Quick Reply: Weird steering wheel shudder/noise at extremely slow speed??!