A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Weird steering wheel shudder/noise at extremely slow speed??!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by astaikos10
At first i glanced over this topic, but now that i'm reading this third page i'm starting to think of something that happens in my car quite frequently. Above, many of you have mentioned rough road surface, which got me thinking of a shudder i seem to get maybe once a week or so, however it is not constant like i think what some of you guys are getting. The first time it happened, i thought it was a flat tire, in the front right. Even my passengers felt it. Not only did the steering wheel shake, it seemed like the whole car reverberated a little, and it must have if my passengers mentioned something to me (i had already been aware something was up though). However, my tire monitors didn't post any message, the road was newly paved, i was going a steady 75 on cruise control. I stopped, did not see anything. I drove on- it came back, but then went away. This comes and goes, maybe once a week, more or less, on no particular road, usually lasting for a mile or two at the very most. I have just learned to expect it. I don't think this is what you guys are experiencing, but i thought i would share anyways.
That is in fact a documented separate issue that plagued several A5/S5s and some B8 A4s

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2753123

There's a ton of threads in the A5 forum on it if you want to look there. Some people had success from changing tires to changing bushings to other things. Doesn't seem to be a definitive answer although it does seem to have something to do with the tires and wheel balance.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh my mistake... that is the thread that i thought this turned into, i only read the third page, lesson learned!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

asked the same question on audizine and one dealer apparently claims it's a software issue???
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...68#post3802768

maybe there's a vag-com setting for turning steering wheel vibration on and off
Old 06-03-2009, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by userbbc
asked the same question on audizine and one dealer apparently claims it's a software issue???
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...68#post3802768

maybe there's a vag-com setting for turning steering wheel vibration on and off
It's a software issue -> translation -> I have no f'ing clue what it is.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

heh, was just kidding about the vag-com...though it would be interesting to see if the service dept. gets back to buzzsaw on audizine.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the clues are:

1) Cold operation. Not ambient temperature, but fluid temperature.

2) Uneven surface, particularly those with different coefficient of friction at each wheel.

3) Dead slow operating speed.

Convention differentials allow wheels to turn at different speeds when the vehicle is turning. An undesired byproduct of this mechanical solution is that if one wheel loses tractive force, all the power is delivered to that wheel. The wheel that has traction does not turn. An American came up with a solution used in today's Audi cars called the Torsen differential. Inside these mechanical wonders are clutches that send some power to the stationary wheel, even if the opposite member is up in the air. The clutches are operating in the differential fluid. The fluid needs a friction modifier to allow the clutches couple enough power where needed. Conventional hypoid gearbox oil alone will cause these clutches to "chatter" at low speeds when the road surface has uneven friction. A friction modifier is added to the oil to allow smooth operation of the clutches. The modifier does not work so well when the clutches and fluid are near ambient temperature. Once warmed up a little, the clutch chatter goes away. If the fluid has absorbed a large amount of debris from the clutches or gears, or has been overheated, changing it may help.

Otherwise as they say in Jersey, "Forget about it."
Old 06-08-2009, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Moviela
I think the clues are:

2) Uneven surface, particularly those with different coefficient of friction at each wheel.

3) Dead slow operating speed.

Convention differentials allow wheels to turn at different speeds when the vehicle is turning. An undesired byproduct of this mechanical solution is that if one wheel loses tractive force, all the power is delivered to that wheel. The wheel that has traction does not turn. An American came up with a solution used in today's Audi cars called the Torsen differential. Inside these mechanical wonders are clutches that send some power to the stationary wheel, even if the opposite member is up in the air. The clutches are operating in the differential fluid. The fluid needs a friction modifier to allow the clutches couple enough power where needed. Conventional hypoid gearbox oil alone will cause these clutches to "chatter" at low speeds when the road surface has uneven friction. A friction modifier is added to the oil to allow smooth operation of the clutches. The modifier does not work so well when the clutches and fluid are near ambient temperature. Once warmed up a little, the clutch chatter goes away. If the fluid has absorbed a large amount of debris from the clutches or gears, or has been overheated, changing it may help.

Otherwise as they say in Jersey, "Forget about it."

This is the best possible explanation I've heard yet. Where did you come up with this?

Also, I believe it's "fageddabowdit".
Old 06-08-2009, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The torsen center (fron/rear axle split) differential is mechanical w/o clutches (only gears) -- that's one of it's advantages.

The A4, to my knowledge has open diffs for both the front/rear axle -- thus the need to use the EDL (electronic differential lock) which is a fancy name for applying the brakes on the wheel(s) that need it.

Am I wrong on this? My understanding was that the A4 had no clutches downstream of the transmission.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the clues are:

I tested this theory the other day after my half hour commute home from work and noticed that I still had the wheel shudder on my relatively level concrete garage floor, so I think these 2 aren't necessarily true.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
This is the best possible explanation I've heard yet. Where did you come up with this?

Also, I believe it's "fageddabowdit".
I have been using Torsen diffs in camera cars for years.

You spelled the Jersey expression correctly, me, I have a west coast accent, so no one from there can understand me!

Quick Reply: Weird steering wheel shudder/noise at extremely slow speed??!