A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Weird steering wheel shudder/noise at extremely slow speed??!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm Thai living in Bangkok, Thailand. I have the same problem with my new B8 A4 (only 3,400 km in mileage). This is my third Audi, and my first experience facing this weird problem. The local dealer claimed no responsibility on this --they said it was caused by my changing the wheels from 17" to 18" rim although the wheels were shipped from Audi AG. The chief of technicians here did not attempt to examine the cause of the problem , and it seems to me that he did not even try to get any advice or any update on this issue from Audi AG.

Mobilehavic, thanks for posting this issue letting me know that I'm not alone trying to fix the problem. Await your next post with good news!!

Sorry for my poor English.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone have the TSB number or reference so I may show my dealer?

I received the old "No Problem Found" response to my inquiry at the 5K mile service.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ~pino~
Does anyone have the TSB number or reference so I may show my dealer?

I received the old "No Problem Found" response to my inquiry at the 5K mile service.
I'd be interested in reading the TSB as well -- is it all B8 A4's? The loaner tip I had exhibited this problem often, but I've never felt it on my 6MT in 3000 miles/4 months -- I only put about 200/2 days on the loaner.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't get it so much in the steering wheel but I do feel a slights vibration/clicking on the gas pedal when first putting the car in drive after a cold start. Any other stop and go's after the start do not have this vibration. Anyone else?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FreshTracks
I don't get it so much in the steering wheel but I do feel a slights vibration/clicking on the gas pedal when first putting the car in drive after a cold start. Any other stop and go's after the start do not have this vibration. Anyone else?
yes but on a 2009 Q5.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to dig up a (semi) old thread... but I just found the time to hop on here and research this. We've had our B8 A4 for about 7 months now and have had the vibration as well. Only at very low speeds... usually pulling in/backing out of garage or parking spaces. Also seems to be more prevalent after a cold start than after the car has warmed up. Also seems to depend upon the speed the steering wheel is being turned at. I turn the wheel faster than my wife, and I experince the vibration a bit less often than she does turned the wheel a bit slower.

Anyway... Glad to know I'm not alone in this. I'm guessing nothing more has come of this from Audi. I thought about taking the car into the dealership, but felt pretty confident they wouldn't be able to reproduce/find anything wrong.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Hang on. Fix should be coming soon. Seems it will require a new hose currently being tested by Audi.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello all,

First time poster, found this thread after a lot of research on the web.

I have a 5 week old A4 thats developed this problem, and i would request anyone to post any updates on what Audi is doing about it. Im from india and the dealers here have absolutely no clue

Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went to the dealership today, Pasadena California, to ask about some tire pressure question and asked if AOA found a solution to this problem with the low speed steering wheel vibration. The guy told me they had 2 cars that were retrofitted with a new hose in the steering column. The way he explained it was there are some motor in the steering column that is causing the vibration to the thin hose. They changed to a thicker hose and the vibration stopped. So they are reporting this back to AOA and once AOA gets these new thicker hose mass produced then AOA will send them out for replacement. Took them a whole year to identify the problem and find a solution, so let's hope it won't take another yea to get the replacement part. Hope this shed some light on the issue.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCoolA4
I went to the dealership today, Pasadena California, to ask about some tire pressure question and asked if AOA found a solution to this problem with the low speed steering wheel vibration. The guy told me they had 2 cars that were retrofitted with a new hose in the steering column. The way he explained it was there are some motor in the steering column that is causing the vibration to the thin hose. They changed to a thicker hose and the vibration stopped. So they are reporting this back to AOA and once AOA gets these new thicker hose mass produced then AOA will send them out for replacement. Took them a whole year to identify the problem and find a solution, so let's hope it won't take another yea to get the replacement part. Hope this shed some light on the issue.
Hmmm... Why would Audi Pasadena be doing R&D and reporting back to AoA? Thanks for passing along the info, regardless.

Quick Reply: Weird steering wheel shudder/noise at extremely slow speed??!