A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Weird steering wheel shudder/noise at extremely slow speed??!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaniemeanie
Fix for B8's done on mine today. No more issues!

Technical Service Bulliten=TSB2020332/4

I had the problem since the beginning of ownership. took it in today and they said it's fixed.

They actually called me a couple weeks ago to tell me there was a fix and that they might be able to fix it soon. When I brought it in for the 45K mile service they were able to fix the issue!
Did they tell you how they fixed it? I just dropped off my B8 this morning to have the low-speed shudder fixed and will be picking it up later this afternoon.

For mine though Audi NA specifically shipped parts (new steering hose) to my local dealer for my car so it could be fixed and the service techs said this was the first time they were even hearing of this.

I've been in touch with Audi NA for about 9 months now on this issue and they've updated me through the process. The parts were finally manufactured and shipped end of Jan/early Feb so makes sense they are receiving them now.

Just curious if they also replaced your power steering hose (as is the proper fix) or did something else and told you it was fixed anyway?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my steering hose replaced with the new spec part a couple weeks ago. The low speed shudder is gone.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

after reading this thread I called my Audi dealer (Audi Chandler) and asked them about it. After telling the service advisor that I have the shudder and I want the new hose, he said I would have to set up an appointment to have someone check it out and then they would order the new hose, which he said would take about 2 weeks. Is this BS or what... 2 weeks?!?!? I am also not impressed with the lack of trust when I say that I have the shudder and he doesn't believe me and insists on an evaluation before ordering the hose. They think we are all yuppies that know nothing about cars. Why couldn't he just have ordered the hose and called me when it's in, now I have to drive down there just so some shmuck can say.."yea, you do need the new hose".... sons of bitches...
Old 03-03-2010, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rule number 1 in life: People don't like you telling them how to do their job. A better way is saying that you think you have the problem and are aware there might be a TSB that would cover it - could they check it out.

Audi requires in most cases that diagnostic work is performed - be it a test drive or GFF.

It's not as simple as self-proclaiming that you need parts (on somebody elses dime).

John.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewsjl
Audi requires in most cases that diagnostic work is performed - be it a test drive or GFF.

It's not as simple as self-proclaiming that you need parts (on somebody elses dime).
I don't disagree, but this is a bit different situation. Audi KNOWs this is a problem, and they very likely know which VIN#'s are affected.

At a minimum the dealer should be able to check your VIN, then order the part (on Audi USA's dime) if it is one of the affected ones and have it at the dealer so that when you take your car in they don't have to wait 2 weeks to get a part once they confirm the issue. After all the part is KNOWN to be problematic -- there is a TSB.

"bring it in, we'll look at it. THEN we'll order parts and you can bring it back in 2 weeks" - isn't going to win them any points.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by need_TQM
I don't disagree, but this is a bit different situation. Audi KNOWs this is a problem, and they very likely know which VIN#'s are affected.

At a minimum the dealer should be able to check your VIN, then order the part (on Audi USA's dime) if it is one of the affected ones and have it at the dealer so that when you take your car in they don't have to wait 2 weeks to get a part once they confirm the issue. After all the part is KNOWN to be problematic -- there is a TSB.

"bring it in, we'll look at it. THEN we'll order parts and you can bring it back in 2 weeks" - isn't going to win them any points.
Here here. Well said. This is just a stalll tactic and it gets old. How many of us with low #Vins and high speed shimy problems are still out there? It's taken months and some us still get to beg to get the new arms put on.

It's not a buyers neurosis if it actually exits in real lfe.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by matthewsjl
A better way is saying that you think you have the problem and are aware there might be a TSB that would cover it - could they check it out.
Exactly the approach I took. I called my service adviser on a Thursday and was told that there was indeed a TSB for the problem. He said it would only take 2 days to get the part and so I was in on Monday morning for the service.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by need_TQM
Agreed, they probably do know which cars are possibly affected.

However, go read the TSB - the diagnostic procedure is clear. Dealers can't just go skipping the steps in the TSB and ordering parts on customer instructions/wishes. It just doesn't work that way.

EDIT: Parts that are ordered and then not eligible for warranty, the dealer eats costs.

Part of the service franchise agreement is that dealers work to Audi procedures. If it's discovered that they're skipping stuff, it puts the franchise in an awkward position with Audi USA.

For parts that can be diagnosed by GFF (guided fault finding), the process must be done to a) verify the fault and b) be attached to the part return as proof of defective part.

Oh, if you're wondering why all this came about - the story I got a few years ago was that Audi/VW was trying to cut down on bogus warranty claims.

John.

Last edited by matthewsjl; 03-03-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't all of the 09+ A4's have this power steering hose problem... I know the high speed shimmy is random because I don't have that problem, but the power steering hose I thought was universal so why doesn't every dealer have at least a few of these new hoses around?? Are they just assuming that not everyone will bring it in for the low speed shudder problem?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thread: Weird steering wheel shudder/noise at extremely slow speed??!

Dealer are aware of this issue, I had the same problem with mine, I told the dealer the same week I bought my car about the issue, finally Audi has come out with an updated steering hose update, just got it installed and the problem is gone.just go to your dealer and get it done.

Quick Reply: Weird steering wheel shudder/noise at extremely slow speed??!