A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

What I learned from my test drive of a 2009 A4 2.0T (get comfortable, this is a long review)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yeah, my review does sound pretty critical, I'm just trying to be fair to myself and others.

I had certain criteria for my order/purchase, and everything has been met satisfactorily except the performance aspect (and who am I kidding, cost is not ideal either). I'd rather be honest than get caught up in my own confirmation bias (trying to justify a $50+k purchase). I want to be completely and utterly satisfied with my purchase, and I don't want to disappoint myself later by "settling" for an expensive car that won't excite me on the road. That would be like marrying a hot high-maintenance woman who's awful in bed.

Do you guys really think the motor will "wake up" with more mileage? What are we talking about here, 10 more break-in horsepower? I have not really experienced this with other cars (and I've owned turbo 4's, 6's, N/A and blown V8's). I have noticed tune programming being more aggressive after battery disconnects/resets though. I really hope you're right. I plan to go back again after ADE to drive a more "seasoned" 2.0T.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is true, but I have experience with heavy sedans too (see sig)

The 535iM and 740iL could both hustle (especially after chipping), though on paper the new A4 2.0T is supposed to be just as quick (0-60 MPH at least--passing acceleration is whole different story).

The B8 2.0T just has a completely different attitude than the older 2.0T in the TT and A3 (to me at least). It's like the opposite of the 2.5T in my 944 Turbo (dog off the line with big lag, but big push in the back once turbo was going).
Old 08-23-2008, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Zactly. I never mind the sound or feel of the A3/TT 2.0T, but @high RPM the B8 2.0T gets kinda harsh

Again, it could just be that the A4 has more insulation and sound deadening, so I notice the vibrations in the steering wheel and pedal more (tire noise or road feedback might be canceling or drowning out that coarseness in the other cars).
Old 08-23-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I gotta say...

I have the 2.0T in my B7 and the thing is super. Except for the tip lag and shaking at idle. Oh and have I mentioned that it sounds like a fricking diesel at full throttle?

If they improve upon these things in the new 2.0T, it's a winner.

Oh and the engine never really got good until about 5k on the odo. Oh and the type of gas makes a HUGE difference in how they perform.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:14 PM

Default It might be a mixture of factors...

I bet they put 87 octane in it.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Could be, wish there's a way to tell. At least there should be plenty of 2.0T's to sample...

by the time mine finally arrives!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is yours chipped?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:30 PM

Default No

but my B8 Avant will be!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:30 PM

Default Yeah the waiting is ridiculous...

Fortunately my lease ends at the end of the year, so I can wait.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:52 AM

Default I was a little disappointed with my test drive experience as well...

I also went down to the dealership for the first time this Saturday. I drove a loaded A4 for the Audi Driving Experience, but I wanted to test drive a 2.0 A4 with my wife. Some thoughts:

Initially, no sales people would help me. I waited for a few minutes and had the receptionist page a sales person. Someone finally came out, and then bailed when some other customers supposedly arrived. I got passed onto somebody else. Needless to say, the experience didn't start off great.

I drove the A4 2.0 on a short loop. I was impressed that the base A4 didn't feel that base inside. I also liked the base wheels better than I expected. Ride was good. However, I did notice the 2.0 wasn't nearly as smooth/quiet as the 3.2 I had driven previously.

I already had a chance to test drive the BMW, MB, and the Lexus, so they were already taken out of contention (except maybe a CPO BMW). However, I told my wife that I wanted to finally test drive the Cadillac CTS back to back with the Audi since there are some nice incentives on the 08' left overs.

The Cadillac had less trunk space, storage space (for odds & ends), and the rear visibility wasn't as good. However, the V6 was smooooth!! The road noise was much more subdued, and the ride was great. I also really liked the growl when I floored it.

My wife and I concured the CTS seemed much more luxurious. The A4 is nice and refined, but lacked excitement and luxury. The CTS seemed to add both of these traits. To make matters worse, the Cadillac dealer treated us as valued customers and the salesperson introduced us to the owner and everyone was very nice. Night and day experience.

So anyway, I am torn. I don't know which way I will go yet. The base A4 2.0 seems like a great value. The A4 3.2 seems a little overpriced when I compare real world prices, warranty, and maintenance requirements. Still on the fence...

Quick Reply: What I learned from my test drive of a 2009 A4 2.0T (get comfortable, this is a long review)