A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

What mods do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are correct, that's good news. Now, just have to find a distributor within 5 hrs of here... Good break-in trip.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just checked out APR's site and was wondering how many folks have invested in the APR tune? Seems like the way to go for me, and given their history, should be a solid tune. I really like the selection feature and to boot, they have a distributor down in Madison, WI. That's only a few three hrs from me. Anyone here a customer of Accumoto in Madison, WI (www.accumoto.com)? Very interested to hear any pros/cons about the shop.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, didn't realize I double posted this question about the tuner shop.

Still wondering how many folks have the APR tune with optional programs, and how they like it. TIA...
Old 02-27-2010, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Heard swapping out the sound box for a straight pipe is a good idea. Anyone care to elaborate more on if it's recommended, ease of installation, etc?

http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart..._detail&p=1875
Old 02-27-2010, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B8aruba
Heard swapping out the sound box for a straight pipe is a good idea. Anyone care to elaborate more on if it's recommended, ease of installation, etc?

http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart..._detail&p=1875
Read on another site that the general consensus is that it's a relatively easy mod to DIY. Go in through the wheel well and swap out. Pretty much that simple. A couple people seemed to have a hard time getting the original IC pipe off, but said once that's done it's nothing but smooth sailing.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. More curious if it's worth the money and effort for the performance gain (if even measurable)? Makes sense to reduce bends and increase laminar flow, but there also has to be a reason Audi engineers put the chamber there in the first place. Anyone have a technical knowledge of what the purpose specifically is, and if there are any drawbacks from removing it?
Old 02-27-2010, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say to go with the APR chip. I had the GIAC X+ on my GTI, and now have the APR on my Audi. I can't really compare the two because they were on totally different engines. Although, APR is the only company that offers a solution to CEL's if you are running a HFC or test pipe. Also, the customer support from APR has been outstanding!

As for snows, I run 17" Dunlop WinterSport 3D's on Hartmann RS6(old style)reps. I absolutely love them, and would recommend them to anyone looking for snow tires.

Last edited by dirtysoil; 02-27-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I got my APR tune and could've gotten all of the bells and whistles but opted not to get the following because I figured I'd never need them:

- 100 oct file
- valet file
- anti-theft
- fault-code erase
- throttle body alignment

So, my tune consists of:

- stock file
- 91 oct file
- 93 oct file (which I currently use)
- security lock-out

I'm very happy w/ what I have and don't feel that I made the wrong decision not getting the other options. 93 octane gas is available where I live but if I move to a state that only offers 91 oct max, then I have that file to use (w/ less performance of course). Security lockout is for peace of mind when I go to the dealership; I just set the car to stock mode and lock it out. When I get the car back, I enter my code via the cruise control stalk and I'm able to switch files again.

The Eurocode intercooler pipe was a mod I DIY'd myself just last weekend, and I consider myself to be a newbie when it comes to automechanics. Remove your driver-side wheel, remove the torx screws and clips holding in the front half of the fender liner, peel back the fender liner, loosen the hose clamps connecting the hoses to the OEM pipe that has the soundbox attached to it, disconnect the flow sensor, unscrew the three torx screws holding the OEM pipe in (requires a bit of finesse; it helps to pop the hood and look down from there as well as from the wheel well), move the rubber mounts and sensor mount from the stock pipe to the Eurocode pipe, and put the pipe back in in reverse order.

My experience so far is that turbo lag has been reduced by a fraction of a second, which I like very much, especially for the price of this part (which is of very high-quality). The soundbox is apparently meant to reduce cabin noise from the turbo but honestly, I don't notice much difference in the audio dept. Overall, I'm pleased w/ the result.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Super great info guys, thanks very much. At this point, I'm leaning very heavily toward APR. They have always done their homework when it comes to ECU tuning.

ItsDubC, those are exactly the same tune options I'm considering, for the same reasons you indicated. How much did it run you total? Also, appreciate the comments on the Eurocode pipe, as well as your quick DIY install procedure. Sounds worth the effort, especially for the price.

dirtysoil, much appreciate the winter tire pkg info. Those treads were #2 on my list, but may be #1 now as more folks seem to swear by the Dunlops 3Ds over Blizzaks. Hey, when are you guys going to get F1 back in town? Was there for the last US Grand Prix in '97, had an absolutely outstanding time in Indy. Your circuit needs to be put back on the race calendar.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B8aruba
Super great info guys, thanks very much. At this point, I'm leaning very heavily toward APR. They have always done their homework when it comes to ECU tuning.

ItsDubC, those are exactly the same tune options I'm considering, for the same reasons you indicated. How much did it run you total? Also, appreciate the comments on the Eurocode pipe, as well as your quick DIY install procedure. Sounds worth the effort, especially for the price.

dirtysoil, much appreciate the winter tire pkg info. Those treads were #2 on my list, but may be #1 now as more folks seem to swear by the Dunlops 3Ds over Blizzaks. Hey, when are you guys going to get F1 back in town? Was there for the last US Grand Prix in '97, had an absolutely outstanding time in Indy. Your circuit needs to be put back on the race calendar.
Make that 2007...

Quick Reply: What mods do you recommend?