A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

What's the deal with the weak engines?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 11:29 PM
RS7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twit

A 335i isn't faster than an S4, I havn't seen external tests for it but based on manufacturer claims (so that its all the same) an S4 is faster.

I've already posted the websites of the cars so you can check but you still don't believe me. The thing thats so stupid is you say that a 335i is faster than the manufacturer claims, then why wouldn't the 3.2L; 3.0TDI or S4 be faster than the manufacturer claims as well.

If we had external tests for the new A4s then we could compare them with the external tests for the 3 series, but we don't so we can only compare the manufacturer claims.

I've put this data out in a scientific manner to eliminate variability between the factors (factors being the cars), thats how anything is compared in a scientific way but I guess its just too much for some people to follow.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Twit

"I've already posted the websites of the cars so you can check but you still don't believe me. The thing thats so stupid is you say that a 335i is faster than the manufacturer claims, then why wouldn't the 3.2L; 3.0TDI or S4 be faster than the manufacturer claims as well."

- I'm going to answer this, and then I'm going to leave you alone.

Why wouldn't the 3.2L;3.0TDI or S4 be faster than the manufacturer claims as well?

Answer: Because some manufactures are conservative with their numbers, while other manufactures are more spot on. There is no set rule, and the manufactures are not required to be accurate. That is why it behooves me that you would even attempt to introduce manufactures numbers in a logical argument.

The reason why car mags strap on test equipment, and record the actual performance results is to see if the vehicle lives up to the manufacturer's claims. Sane people use actual recorded test results to justify their position. Only a delusional FanBoy would use wildly inaccurate manufacturer numbers to defend their postion.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I Thought so!
Old 09-02-2007, 10:38 AM

I like the cars. This is a discussion about *motors*.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:53 AM
RS7

Alright, well I'm Satisfied with the Motors in that Case
Old 09-03-2007, 05:59 AM
RS7

Default Yeah but Still Wrong

You still can't grasp that the A4 hasn't been externally tested, having the performance reading equipment stuck on it yet etc. To think that BMW gives wrong estimates in the manufacturer claims and Audi doesn't is just rediculous. I'm sure the Audi is faster than they say but it hasn't been tested yet. You have to realise as well that external tests are extreamly variable because of contributing factors such as wind, humidity, temperature, altitude, weight of the driver etc. Manufacturer claims give a better average score. If you look at a few different external tests they will all achieve variable rates for performance because of these contributing factors that throw out the standard deviation from the mean.

Anyway believe what you want, if you want to be ignorant then thats your choice.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Yeah but Still Wrong

How can "Manufacturer claims give a better average score" when they are not actual measurements? If you are comparing manufacturer numbers against each other, then you are assuming that all manufactures obtain their performance numbers in the exact same way.

Do you know how Audi obtains their numbers compared to BMW? Can you show me what procedures they both use to get their numbers? If Audi and BMW doesn't both use the exact same method to obtain their performance numbers, then any comparisons between those numbers is useless.

Show me exactly what method is used by the manufacturers. Until then I'll take their numbers with a grain of salt. You'd also be better served by not comparing Manufacturer numbers against each other. Believe Me.

While we're talking about the method that's used. Wind, humidity, temperature, altitude, and driver weight can effect measurements but what happens when the cars are tested at the same time, same place, by the same driver, and using the same test-equipment? You know like the comparison tests? Would you still put more weight in the manufactures numbers (without knowing the method used) rather than an actual comparison test were everything is out in the open?

Anyone who takes what the Manufacture says over independent test results is either a fool or a Flag-Waving Super-Fanboy.

Dude, You are the one that's ignorant. Some one else said that you are Obtuse. They Couldn't have been more correct.

Oh yeah.. Hasn't the 3.2L A5 been tested. The A5 has the same engine transmission and approx weight of the B8 S4? Guess what? I didn't come no where near the 335's performance (as expected).
Old 09-03-2007, 11:48 AM

Of course you are. You're from Australia where they still have all kinds of little sissy motors.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:44 PM
RS7

Default I See but.

We need the same external tests to be carried out by the same car magazine (or tv show etc) for both the BMW and Audi before we can compare results. When its done it will be interesting to see the outcome but it hasn't been done yet.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:52 PM
RS7

Default I'll Ignore that Racist Comment because it only Makes You Look Stupid in the End.

I wouldn't consider myself a full Australian anyway, my family is originally from Europe; with relatives in America. And as for Australian cars, I don't like them, not at all, some do have powerful engines but they still don't impress me. Thats why I like Audis, they are special cars, they do everything in such a way they make most other cars seem obsolete in my opinion.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with the weak engines?