A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

When to chip

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaBlue
I was told by the people that did my tune they whould just retune it for free.
That's nice. Are they going to be in business when you need it redone? Are they going to pay for the flatbed transport of your car to their shop? Do they have a network of shops nationally that will also "retune it for free"? I doubt it. Good luck though
Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sundowner
+Eleventyone on everything above.
you're gonna pay $40,000 for an A4 and then chinz a few hundred bucks on the tune?

I can see the argument in a $22k GTI where the VW dealer is gonna treat you like garbage no matter what you did or didn't do to the car, so why spend the extra money to ensure a worthless warranty from a disreputable dealer working under the aegis of a despicable brand?

For the Audi, pay the extra money so you can freely tell the servie manager to fix the damn car. and get me a cup of coffee while you're at it. Don't forget the donut. pink frosting and sprinkles.
Well said. Love it man! Now where's my jelly filled and a loaner car?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
Hmmm... I'll take the simplicity of pulling into a Stasis Audi dealer and just having things dealt with.

Personally, I preferred the convenience of pulling in to the APR dealer 15 miles from my house as opposed to the 300 miles to the nearest Stasis dealer. There are other criteria to consider.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default All fair points...

As a bit of a newbie, are there performance differences between the two? Any other notable differences other than cost and potential warranty issues?

I am pretty sure I have an APR friendly dealer, but certainly that could change and you wouldn't want to be on the other side of that issue. Will need to do a little more diligence on this.

Before I search the forums, which I will, are there a lot of known issues with these tunes that someone can succinctly summarize?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by brents
Personally, I preferred the convenience of pulling in to the APR dealer 15 miles from my house as opposed to the 300 miles to the nearest Stasis dealer. There are other criteria to consider.
...I'm sorry.. I fail to see how 15 minutes... lets say 13 miles or less... trumps the potential for a warranty voided to any extent... and the potential cost to you easily into thousands of dollars for repairs/replacement parts that would still be covered under a warranty. Let's be clear, if you do have a problem with a Stasis product installed by an authorized dealer, Stasis is billed by the dealership and they are very professional about it. I never even was aware of how Stasis handled the warranty until I actually saw the dealership charges to Stasis when they handed me the wrong paperwork (dealership copy I guess)... If Stasis questions the validity of a dealership claiming that this or that is due to a Stasis part, STASIS deals with the dealer surrounding that issue, not you the customer.

So, I still think that, again for a new Audi with an Audi warranty, that the "the simplicity of pulling into a Stasis Audi dealer and just having things dealt with, "without jeopardizing the warranty, trumps the nominal savings of 300 miles... but that's just me.... and I only had to go 75 miles...but I would have happily driven from Northern California to Southern California or further if necessary...

Please explain how saving even a couple thousand (let's assume that covers are your travel/lodging/and cost of the Stasis ECU tune vs an APR tune down the street) on an APR tune would beat the Stasis tune (let's just say equal performance for the sake of argument) that comes with the peace of mind of still having your new car's warranty intact?

I've made plenty of assumptions... so feel free to make and *** out of me and show me the way....
Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess I'll take my chances with my cheap tune
Old 07-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here in MN I checked in to the Stasis tune for my 2011 Avant. I would have to take the car to the Stasis/Audi dealership 250 miles away and LEAVE it for a WEEK according to them. They explained that the ECU would have to be removed and sent in and since I had not purchased the car from them, they would not provide a loaner for that time. Also they did not have the tune available for the model year 2011.

I went for the APR tune where I was able to drive in and drive home with the tune done.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the replies

I started this thread a few days ago and I appreciate all the input. I had a 2007 A4 Avant and I put the APR stage 1 tune on at about 35K miles. I never had any trouble with it. I did opt for the 4 program set up where one was stock. I took the car in several times for warranty repairs (coil packs) and couple of other issues and I actually forgot to put it back into stock mode and lock it. At two separate dealerships, neither one recognized the ECU upgrade (albeit they weren't looking for it). I have a Stasis dealership nearby (Providence RI) and while the security of having an approved tuning company chip my car is tempting, I think I'll go with the APR tune again as it is half the price and delivers more hp and torque. I think I'll wait until after the 5K service (APR fall sale). I'll also have to be buying a new set of winter wheels and tires as my monza silver A4 came with the 19" 7 spoke wheels and summer tires. I'll likely be asking for advice then on what wheels to get. Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by parkinman
...I took the car in several times for warranty repairs (coil packs) and couple of other issues and I actually forgot to put it back into stock mode and lock it. At two separate dealerships, neither one recognized the ECU upgrade (albeit they weren't looking for it).Sounds like you got lucky or happened to be dealing with mod friendly dealers... either way and at least you only had 15k of warranty to potentially lose

...I have a Stasis dealership nearby (Providence RI) and while the security of having an approved tuning company chip my car is tempting, I think I'll go with the APR tune again as it is half the price and delivers more hp and torque. I think I'll wait until after the 5K service (APR fall sale)Now with a new car you have quite a bit more to lose. It only takes one time to get unlucky, when you choose to go all-in on every hand. You might want to double check your assumption that APR gives you more HP and Torque than the Stasis/GIAC tune. APR themselves claim more torque and LESS HP than Stasis on their Stage 1 AND 2 ECU tune in 91 or 93 octane. I suppose if you only use 100 octane.... must be nice to have access to that kinda juice.
We could discuss whether the results were from the same dyno and whether the sky was clear or had cumulus clouds that day...

Anyways, glad to hear that you have decided when to "chip your car" now you can start counting backwards till F-Day (as in finally-fun-day)
Old 07-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, it was just a decision, obviously not very well thought out. I just wasn't willing to invest a whole weekend in something that took me two hours, warranty risk considered. I do find it ironic the talk of warranty preservation, when one of the warranty exclusions is racing or competive events. I would consider placing a number on the side of my car and driving around a track with the intent of competing with other vehicles and/or time would qulaify as such. Not that I have done that or know anyone who has. Why would a prudent person take the chance?

Quick Reply: When to chip