A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

whistling noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whistling noise

So last night me and my cousin were messing around and racing he has an acura tl type s all hooked up right now my car is stock but anyway after messing around with the tip for awhile i put it back on regular Drive and now when i lightly tape the gase from 0 to about 20 mph my car makes a whistling noise and its not the turbo i know the difference lol i was wondering if anyone had any idea what it could be?!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed it, and have gotten used to it. My driver's door rattles are getting worse though.
Here's an earlier thread discussing the mirror whistle:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2774900
Old 04-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

but this is the first time its ever happened and it only happens at low speeds and it sounds like its coming from the back...or am i just imagining it
Old 04-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So has anybody actually gotten the dealer to fix the whistle? I have a two-week-old S-Line with a very annoying whistle that kicks in around 75. It's somewhere in the driver's door area, but I can't say that it's the mirror.

This might be different than what others have reported here, as 50 seems to be the magic speed for most of you. I definitely have no whistle at that speed. It's going in next week, but I'm a little concerned, since these things are notoriously difficult to isolate and resolve.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cazeluf
So has anybody actually gotten the dealer to fix the whistle? I have a two-week-old S-Line with a very annoying whistle that kicks in around 75. It's somewhere in the driver's door area, but I can't say that it's the mirror.

This might be different than what others have reported here, as 50 seems to be the magic speed for most of you. I definitely have no whistle at that speed. It's going in next week, but I'm a little concerned, since these things are notoriously difficult to isolate and resolve.
Hi,

I have had that problem... a whistle was coming from the RR window at 50+. Additionally, when the Climate Control was off and the sunroof was tilted up, the whistle became *much* more pronounced. I think the sunroof tilted up created a slight vacuum in the cabin (the CC being off blocks an airflow path that might fill this vacuum) and this exacerbated the whistle.

After 2 (or was it 3?) trips the the dealer, they were able to diagnose and fix it. The trick to diagnosis is to use tape around the outside frame of the car window, trying a section at a time, until the whistle disappears. In my case, the fix was to bend the window guide to match the curve of the window.

Good luck.

-Dave
Old 04-18-2010, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
My driver's door rattles are getting worse though.
I am having problems w/the driver-side door rattling as well! I think that the plastic they used in construction of that piece is either of a cheaper grade or poorly designed. Check under the arm rest on the door. There is a large plastic piece that runs about the length of the entire rest and I found that mine was popping out a little while the passenger-side one is not. It looks like something has broken off that would otherwise be holding it on tightly. There is nothing obvious on the outside of this piece to suggest that, it's just that the pass-side piece is MUCH tighter, so obviously there's something wrong with the driver-side piece.

Check it out and let me know if you notice the same thing as me. If that IS the problem, I think it's pretty sad that the weight of a single arm can do that much damage. And it's not like I ever press down on it getting in or out and I don't weight that much, so it's not like every day use should do it...at least not this soon.