A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Why Did you choose the A4 over the 328xi or C300?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Did you choose the A4 over the 328xi or C300?

Was it based on price alone? I am looking at all 3 cars. The C300 4matic is the most expensive car similarly equipped followed by the 328xi and then the A4.

The Mercedes seems to offer the best owner experience. It costs more by a few grand but MB seems to take care of its owners the best - unlimited forever roadside assistance and the local dealer offers to pick up the car and return for scheduled maintenance etc. In general the dealership seems to be the best.

The BMW offers similar dealer experience though not quite the same..only 4yrs roadside for instance but schedule maintenance is included. The BMW can be equipped the same as the A4 but there are also many more options (reasonably priced) like only $190 for a heated steering wheel which is really really nice.

The A4 dealer is more like a 'car car' dealer. Its right next to the VW shop, shares the same service and in general the 'dealer experience' just feels cheap. They might or might not have a loaner car where both BMW and Mercedes says they will come get it at my office, wash it and bring it back.

My big dilemma is I like the way the A4 drives, over both the BMW or the C300....to me the A4 seems a little quieter and rides a little softer. It also is the least expensive of the three. But the A4 just doesn't offer what the 'premium' brands offer in the intangibles.

If you specifically chose the A4 over the BMW or the Mercedes... was it simply price? Was the A4 what you could afford but you might have bought the other car if you had the budget for it?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

The 2010 A4 has better fuel economy, quicker 0-60 and has more interior space then the competition; and this is just the beginning.

http://www.iamaudi.com/2009-audi-a4-...iciency-chart/

http://www.iamaudi.com/2009-a4-0-60-mph/

http://www.iamaudi.com/2009-audi-a4-...-in-its-class/

Last edited by iamaudi.com; 02-06-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You said it yourself: The car drives better.
I also find the interior quality to be far superior than both of those cars. Considering 99% of the time will be spent driving the car (hopefully at least )
your dealer experience may be unique. Try another Audi dealer. The one I go to is strictly Audi and offers loaner cars for service. Picking up and dropping off is seems fancy, but even Kia has a shuttle service.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm giving my 2007 BMW 335i 6-speed back to the dealer next week (lease end) and picking-up a 2010 Audi A4 2.0T P+ tomorrow. My BMW was loaded (MSRP of just under $50,000) and it did 0-60 in just over 4 seconds thanks to a chip (360+ lb-ft of torque) and it pulled very hard up to its electronically-limited top speed (150 indicated, but 144 mph true). Bloody fast and damn fun to drive... I never met another car that could beat me at a stoplight. But, I didn't want to make the $650+ payments anymore (and I didn't want the same car for another 3 years). The RWD BMW will outhandle the FWD A4 (don't let anyone tell you otherwise)... but I didn't need that anymore as I have other cars for "fun."

I wanted something a bit softer, comfortable, and with an overall MPG in the mid-20s (my 335i gave me 17 mpg city and 28 mpg highway). The interior of the Audi is nicer, and I really like the styling (LEDs are just too cool).

The A4 is a beautiful car for the money.

- Mike
Old 02-07-2010, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Compared to the 328xi:
More room (I've got 2 kids), my wife preferred the seats (sport pack in both) and the audi dealer gave me a way better deay on both the car and my trade-in.

I found the 328xi more fun to drive. My heart said BMW but common sense due to the 3 reasons above meant that I picked up the A4. It's a great car but it's not perfect.. stupid wipers in winter, way too soft steering, seats that don't hold you in place as much as the bmw (sport pack in both..)
Old 02-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hwks1
Was it based on price alone? I am looking at all 3 cars. The C300 4matic is the most expensive car similarly equipped followed by the 328xi and then the A4.

The Mercedes seems to offer the best owner experience. It costs more by a few grand but MB seems to take care of its owners the best - unlimited forever roadside assistance and the local dealer offers to pick up the car and return for scheduled maintenance etc. In general the dealership seems to be the best.

The BMW offers similar dealer experience though not quite the same..only 4yrs roadside for instance but schedule maintenance is included. The BMW can be equipped the same as the A4 but there are also many more options (reasonably priced) like only $190 for a heated steering wheel which is really really nice.

The A4 dealer is more like a 'car car' dealer. Its right next to the VW shop, shares the same service and in general the 'dealer experience' just feels cheap. They might or might not have a loaner car where both BMW and Mercedes says they will come get it at my office, wash it and bring it back.

My big dilemma is I like the way the A4 drives, over both the BMW or the C300....to me the A4 seems a little quieter and rides a little softer. It also is the least expensive of the three. But the A4 just doesn't offer what the 'premium' brands offer in the intangibles.

If you specifically chose the A4 over the BMW or the Mercedes... was it simply price? Was the A4 what you could afford but you might have bought the other car if you had the budget for it?
Hi,

I did the 328xi vs A4 comparison before I bought the A4 Premium. Here's how I looked at it:

1) The BMW will drive more like a sports car
> BMW has better balance
> Both cars about the same weight
> BMW smaller, which for handling reasons, I consider a +
2) The A4 has much more interior space
> Especially headroom (I'm 6'4"), so for me this is a big +
> Also rear seat legroom (not too important for me)
3) The BMW has better quality interior finish materials
4) The BMW has better build quality
5) The BMW has run flat tires only
+ You won't have to change a tire
- Ride is harsher and tires are more expensive
6) The A4 returns better gas mileage
7) The BMW has a cachet that, imho, the Audi does not.
> I consider this a plus for the Audi
8) All other things being equal, the Audi costs substantially less

Now that I've driven it ~1000 miles, having owned three BMW 3's (2 ix, one ic) and a B5 S4, here are my impressions:

1) The build quality of my A4 is substandard and is frankly a disappointment to me:
> Lots of rattles, clunks (rear shock probably) and wind
noise. The dealer is quite diligent and is sorting this out slowly, but what a hassle.
2) The car has a computerish aspect to it... many things that were single step operations are now two steps. This is a trend across a lot of makes now days sorry to say. It's a car dammit!
3) The drive train is wonderful
> Motor pulls very well... broad torque, good mpg (28 for me)
> Suspension is nicely balanced, supple with good control
> Weight distribution is excellent... better than the S4, not quite as good as the ix
> The manual transmission is excellent (great feel). Better than the S4 but just shy of the BMWs.
4) Previous 4wd cars I owned needed full blown winter tires to make it up my N facing steep driveway reliably in the winter. The Goodyear all season tires stock on the A4 have proved themselves up to the task, so I don't need to get a separate set of wheels/tires. Nice!

Good luck,
Dave
Old 02-07-2010, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

first off i hink the e90 is not very attractive looking. that and my mother has one so it cant be cool haha. also it was overpriced and i dont think really drives any better. not to mention its very cramped for a sedan.

a couple of my friends have the w204 C class, and i really considered that, but the interior is just cheap. like touch the steering wheel, or the hvac ***** (especially those ***** are terribly bad) and you feel like you are in a chevy.

the a4 honestly i think was about as good as it gets. great interior, lots of leg room, huge trunk. i wanted a car that was practical, and it also drives great. that and it somehow was the least expensive of the 3 while having great fwy gas milage (i drive like 80% freeway)
Old 02-08-2010, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

As someone who was in the market, and who test drove the 328xi and the a4, I chose the A4 because of the looks, styling, sticker price and the overall quality of the audi.

Nothing against the 3 Series, it is a 6 banger, and a great car... but for me, the fit of Audi seemed more of who I am.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

IMO the 2.0 A4 was by far the best value in its class. Best bang for buck combined with the fact that I truly believe it was a leader in several key categories made it an easy choice for me. It also doesn't hurt that there are far less B8s on the road than the other two. Benz and Bimmer owners would probably point that out as a knock against Audi, but I like the idea of driving something relatively unique.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:59 AM
equ
AudiWorld Member

Welcome, Emission... I've also switched back between audi & bmw a few times... This b8 2.0T prem plus (and i hope you have sports package & 6MT) is a very sweet car. A bit soft, but efficient and capable.

Quick Reply: Why Did you choose the A4 over the 328xi or C300?