A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Why does the A4 have to be so slow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
I struggle to imagine how anyone could need much more power than this car has for real world use.

I haven't driven a G in a while but last time I did (G35) it flew, but so what, it looks like crap inside and out, and as I said what would you do with that extra power. Didn't even bother looking at G or C-Class when I just bought my third A4 (only looked at 3-series as a competitor).
I have to agree with the above quote. I like that I have good amounts of power available to me, but unless you are buying a car you intend on taking to the track, most cars in the A4 engine range have more than enough power for daily driving. Since you stated you had no plans on modding your next vehicle purchase, chances are you aren't planning on hitting the track with any regularity, if at all - everyone I know who takes their car (ANY car) to the track will typically have some sort of "track setup" that requires minor modification at the very least.

And if you commute in frequently congested traffic, well - you'd need about half the power, if that. Traffic is the great equalizer, as they say. If I'm going to spend a lot of time in slow traffic, I care a great deal more about interior design and comforts than I do about quarter mile times, which is the primary reason I purchased my A4.

It ultimately comes down to personal preference of course, but if you are wanting awesome power and care little about cabin comforts, why are you looking in this category of car at all? You'd be better suited spending your money on something like the new Camaro or a Shelby Cobra, and if there's anything left over, spending it on factory installed sport items.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
I haven't driven a G in a while but last time I did (G35) it flew, but so what, it looks like crap inside and out, and as I said what would you do with that extra power.
I looked at a G37 before I bought my 2010 A4. It had plenty of power, but it was nearly uncontrollable (at least, with an auto) in street driving. It wanted to downshift and roar at the least provocation. Very hard to drive this car smoothly in the city. Jackie Stewart would have puked<g>. Also, the rear seat doesn't fold down, which markedly reduces the utility of the car if there is any chance you might carry something large from time to time in the trunk.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you're looking simply for straight-line numbers, then look elsewhere. You don't need the renowned fit and finish of an Audi, or the cornering ability and all-weather performance that Quattro allows.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sound like a younger driver, thinking that the current gen. A4 is slow. It's a "sport sedan" that rivals the 1/4 mile or 0-60 times, let alone the handling, of some current and all previous generation "sport cars".
Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ttran626
thats talking apples and oranges
I'm obviously missing something here.

An S4 is the current top of the range A4. Nothing more, nothing less.

I had a B6 S4 and never considered it to be a different car to an A4.

Are we going to be suggesting an M3 is not a 3 series next?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)

My take was that he said his other choice was a G37 or C350. The S4 is sort of a step up from those 2 cars in terms of cost IMO -- S4 vs. 335 vs. C63 AMG is a better parity there -- not equal but more in the same market ...
Old 01-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)

I had a B6 S4 and never considered it to be a different car to an A4.

Are we going to be suggesting an M3 is not a 3 series next?
LOL are you serious?

how can you compare an A4 to the S4?

its like saying I might as well get the m3 over a 335 or get the c63 over the C350...

Not to mention, the m3 and c63 is twice the cost of the regular 3and C series. The S4 is comparable to these cars.

This thread is about the "A4" not the S4....

yea the m3 is a 3 series, but Its night and day over the other 3 series...lol
Old 01-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by need_TQM
My take was that he said his other choice was a G37 or C350. The S4 is sort of a step up from those 2 cars in terms of cost IMO -- S4 vs. 335 vs. C63 AMG is a better parity there -- not equal but more in the same market ...
thank you. Someone that actually comprehends my original topic. No one ever questioned the S4 belonging in the 4 series. Obviously it is since it has the "4". But its a step up and not in my interest.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by perdido34
I looked at a G37 before I bought my 2010 A4. It had plenty of power, but it was nearly uncontrollable (at least, with an auto) in street driving. It wanted to downshift and roar at the least provocation. Very hard to drive this car smoothly in the city. Jackie Stewart would have puked<g>. Also, the rear seat doesn't fold down, which markedly reduces the utility of the car if there is any chance you might carry something large from time to time in the trunk.
I agree. The A4 is a much better car than the G37X. But the G37X is a very nice car if it pleases you. If the rear seats folded down I would have given the G more consideration. It is a good value.

I thought the G37 had better power modulation than the G35. The G35 had a tendency to run away on acceleration.

Former M35X owner.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Barrels41
I agree. The A4 is a much better car than the G37X. But the G37X is a very nice car if it pleases you. If the rear seats folded down I would have given the G more consideration. It is a good value.

I thought the G37 had better power modulation than the G35. The G35 had a tendency to run away on acceleration.

Former M35X owner.
I test drove the G37 and the Audi at the same dealership (salesman brought over a 2010 G37 for me to test drive to compare directly with the Audi...I had one of the best salesman ever). No doubt the G37 was a great car had had more power...but the Audi's engine was plenty speedy, and the rest of the car just outclasses the G37 IMHO. I had no problem buying the A4 immediately following this test drive comparison.

Quick Reply: Why does the A4 have to be so slow?