A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Why does the A4 have to be so slow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

How fast were you going is understood to mean "what was the speed you were driving when you were pulled over?" for example. Quick -- were it substituted would not be readily understood or would evoke the response, "you talk funny."

Folks buy, often, quick cars, just as they quote horsepower but grin at torque that comes on at relatively low rpms.

Somewhere, and I can't find it right now, there is a description of these two often interchanged words that concludes by saying "in fill-in-the blank it is the survival of the quickest (not survival of the fastest.")
Old 01-29-2010, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
... Quick -- were it substituted would not be readily understood or would evoke the response, "you talk funny."
Somewhere, and I can't find it right now, there is a description of these two often interchanged words that concludes by saying "in fill-in-the blank it is the survival of the quickest (not survival of the fastest.")
You are right. You made me think a little more about this. While they are sometimes interchangeable, it seems like there are many instances where using one versus the other sounds really funny or weird. I am trying to make sense of the difference, and it seems like quick often refers to shorter duration events and some level of nimbleness. Although my engineer/scientist mind refuses to accept either as a substitute for acceleration, if I were forced to chose one for acceleration and the other for speed, I would indeed chose quick and fast, in that order. This intrigued me so much that I did a google search on "quick versus fast", and to my surprise, it seems like this is a topic that has bugged many other people

In the end though, once you remove the speed limiter out of the equation, a car that has the power for strong acceleration has also the power for reaching high terminal velocity. So in that sense, quick and fast are fortunately related. But thinking a little more, quick could also be referring to handling. So for example I think of a speedy little Miata zig zagging through a tight and twisty mountain road as quick, while a comparatively giaganto Corvette might struggle and seem ponderous on such a course, even though it could easily out-accelerate the Miata on a more open road. So I am back to being a little confused. Acceleration and velocity are so unambiguous
Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ttran626
I love everything else about the car, but they really underacheived on the engine. I'm in the market for a new car and the speed is the only reason I am probably not gonna buy the new A4. low 15s in the 1/4 mile??

my other choice is the mercedes c350 or the g37
A $600 ECU upgrade can take care of this issue quite easily.