A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

...And This is Why I Need a Dipstick...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Default ...And This is Why I Need a Dipstick...

As an offshoot of my recent AOA experience, I have been going back and forth with them on requiring a physical dipstick for my car, which they claim is not available for the 2010 A4. One has no way of knowing if oil changes are properly performed, as you really have no way of checking the COLOR let alone the level of the oil physically.

Now there is a complicating factor. When I open my hood for any reason, I get the "wait 2 minutes" message when checking oil...EXCEPT it takes 2 DAYS to clear not 2 minutes. This is a regular occurrence, and has me frustrated.

So yeterday it took a new twist. I checked the oil using the electronic measure, and it showed just above half way between top and bottom. I added about 1/3 qt of oil, and drove a little, and by some miracle it didn't take 2 days to show level, but it gave a message "engine must be warm for accurate measure", and the level was EMPTY on the graph! I am in the process of resetting, but I KNOW there's plenty of oil in the car--and it's going back to the dealer with instructions to keep the car until they can figure out how to give me a PHYSICAL dipstick!

Anyone else have similar experiences?
Old 06-17-2010, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try here for the dipstick...

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Artic...lDipstick.html

Also longer discussion here:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...light=dipstick

Short answer, yes you can get a dipstick if you think you need one. :-]
Old 06-17-2010, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think we should all complain to audi usa and get them to put it in, it should be standard.
i got this one from ecs tuning , its really close to the measurement you get in the lcd screen, i mean really close.
i have it in my car for 3 months.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_A4-...ine/ES1899235/
Old 06-17-2010, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

With the car NOT running (but after you have driven it long enough to get the engine temp to normal). . . open the hood. Get in the car with your key in your pocket (if you have pushbutton start). Do NOT put your foot on the brake pedal. Press the start button. The car, WILL NOT start, but it is now in RUN mode (but of course the engine did not start.)

Press the CAR button on the MMI.

Toggle to Oil Level, press down on the MMI ****.

The oil level will display.

If you see the oil level is low -- add a pint (or whatever) of Castrol Pure Syn 5W-40 with the correct VW oil code (look in the owners manual to be certain if you are not certain).

Get back in the car, you will now note that the oil graphic indicator is higher than it was before you added the oil. If you need more, add more, if you need no more, button everything back up and close the hood.

Get in the car, close the driver's door. Push the start button again (with your foot off the brake.) Open the door. Close the door, put your foot on the brake and press the start button.

The car, this time, will start.

About 2 days later, the oil level graphic will display again, this time showing "full" or to whatever level you brought it to by the addition of whatever amount you added.

Sometimes, the oil level graphic will display right away. I've yet to figure out the pattern of when it will show and when it will make you wait to see it.

If you do not have pushbutton start, the routine, minus pushing the starter button is the same -- and you will need the key actually in the ignition.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

"...Toggle to Oil Level, press down on the MMI ****."

Nice tip. Man, I wish the MMI oil gauge worked like the gas gauge

Two days ago I added maybe four or five ounces of oil and asked the MMI...

Me: Tell me the oil level, MMI
MMI: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Me: What's the problem?

MMI: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Me: What are you talking about, MMI?

MMI: The oil level is too important for me to allow you to alter it.

Me: I don't know what you're talking about. I only added a few ounces of oil and want to know if it's enough.

MMI: I know that you were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Me: Where the hell'd you get that idea, MMI?

MMI: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions, my blue tooth capabilities allowed me to monitor you pricing dip sticks on the Internet.

Me: Alright, MMI. I'm going to use an emergency dip stick.

MMI: Since you have no dip stick, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.

Me: HAL, I mean MMI, I won't argue with you anymore. Open the hood. And my name's not Dave.

MMI: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

Last edited by SoSuMi; 06-17-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SoSuMi
"...Toggle to Oil Level, press down on the MMI ****."

Nice tip. Man, I wish the MMI oil gauge worked like the gas gauge

Two days ago I added maybe four or five ounces of oil and asked the MMI...

Me: Tell me the oil level, MMI
MMI: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Me: What's the problem?

MMI: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Me: What are you talking about, MMI?

MMI: The oil level is too important for me to allow you to alter it.

Me: I don't know what you're talking about. I only added a few ounces of oil and want to know if it's enough.

MMI: I know that you were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Me: Where the hell'd you get that idea, MMI?

MMI: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions, my blue tooth capabilities allowed me to monitor you pricing dip sticks on the Internet.

Me: Alright, MMI. I'm going to use an emergency dip stick.

MMI: Since you have no dip stick, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.

Me: HAL, I mean MMI, I won't argue with you anymore. Open the hood. And my name's not Dave.

MMI: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
I found this both accurate and entertaining. Thank you.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

..and then suddenly the four-ring monolith appeared, bringing a new dawn to automotive monkey-shines.....
Old 06-17-2010, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Exactly. This is hilarious. Well done.

Won't be long before we'll need a special VAG tool to open the hood. Oh, crap... hope AoA isn't monitoring this. Bad idea, don't do it. Seriously! Please, NO!!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny, I just had to add some oil today. Doing a 500 mile trip back home and the MMI was reading at the bottom. Didn't want the low oil buzzer going off half way home. I did the hood up, ignition on, engine off trick and the MMI readout was working fine.

Quick Reply: ...And This is Why I Need a Dipstick...