A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Why so few (or none at all) to test?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Why so few (or none at all) to test?

I think someone here did comment on the scarcity of A4's that can be test-driven that have sport packages. I think, too, someone commented why there are very few Prestige A4's available for testing.

I assume the reason is contained in one word: demand.

Those of us who have the sport package, or ADS or Prestige or -- whatever -- that can only be read about in the brochure are "screaming voices in the wilderness."

Yet, even stating the above, I can't figure out why sport package equipped testers are so rare, because with sport there come upgrades of the seats, wheels/tire & suspension -- at a bargain price. I would assume there would be a market for a car so equipped "IF" someone could actually test drive one.

But, I am one of those folks who have virtually never not ordered a car, exactly as I wanted it -- and according to my dealer most folks come in and test drive and ask about color and are willing to take something from the lot or something that can be had in a day or two via a dealer trade.

I'll conclude by urging anyone who is contemplating a new A4 to hear and hopefully believe that there are two A4's that can be had -- and the differences are not subtle. A4 #1 is without the sport option and A4 #2 is the one equipped with the sport package.

Although I personally wouldn't go without the sport option, I understand if you don't want one -- IF you have extensively test driven both.

Hopefully somewhere in AudiUSA land there are sport package equipped A4's to be tested -- and hopefully you will insist upon testing one of them before you pull the trigger.

Finally, I swapped out the summer only tires with 19" UHP All Seasons -- cost me $1,100+ to do so. I would like to petition AoA to "offer" both 18" and 19" summer and UHP A/S options on the sport packages -- I've been to the factory and this would not cause any production issue; the Audi MRP system seems state of the art and more than able to allow a customer the choice of summer only or a/s tires. Seems like such a simple thing.

Don't settle for what's in inventory.

Drive it like you live.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't get to test drive sports either and I decided to just order the one I wanted.

I wanted a 6spd MT with sports and B&O w nav. You would think they were somewhere out there but nada.

Just order it and enjoy.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got the exact same setup - P+, sports package, B&O, Nav - completely blind without a test drive. I can't anticipate possibly regretting my decision. Waiting a bit to get exactly what I want is totally worth it.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BonedaleA4
Got the exact same setup - P+, sports package, B&O, Nav - completely blind without a test drive. I can't anticipate possibly regretting my decision. Waiting a bit to get exactly what I want is totally worth it.
I suspect that during this economy dealers are keeping inventory as thin as possible, that means only keeping the most popular cars available.

I had a damn hard time locating any car with a nav system to try out, ended up have to try it in a Q5.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Order and enjoying would be nice, but I don't want a car where I'll have to brace myself all the time.

I've yet to see an A4 w/ sports package here in the St. Louis area since the B8s have been out and would love to get my rearend into one for a fitment check.

I did have the opportunity to drive a 6mt Prestige 2.0t. The engine and tranny felt good, but the seat had no support for me. I have a small frame (5'8", 130lbs) and was sliding all over the place. I had to keep my left leg against the door the entire time to brace myself and I was taking it easy in turns.

I suspect inventory levels are kept low for 2 reasons (1) the economy just sucks, no explanation required and (2) to provide an image of scarcity. The rarer the item the more value the car has and supposedly the more it's desired.

It appears that Audi is in a transition period to improve their image.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had to go to Chicago to get my 2010 A4 Quattro Premium Plus with 18" Sport & B&O, and the elusive manual transmission. I was able to test a base manual transmission locally and feel the difference between it and my B7 S-Line. Once I found the B8 online I locked it up with the dealer and took delivery the next day.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dafool
I suspect inventory levels are kept low for 2 reasons (1) the economy just sucks, no explanation required and (2) to provide an image of scarcity. The rarer the item the more value the car has and supposedly the more it's desired.

It appears that Audi is in a transition period to improve their image.
Reason #1 why the inventory levels are so low - the $ to Euro exchange rate! Audi's margin on European built vehicles shipped to and sold in the US has dropped from 15% down to 6%, according to the salesman who had sold me my previous 4 A4's.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by What_Next?
Reason #1 why the inventory levels are so low - the $ to Euro exchange rate! Audi's margin on European built vehicles shipped to and sold in the US has dropped from 15% down to 6%, according to the salesman who had sold me my previous 4 A4's.
% profit margin would drop for any foreign company, but I still see healthy inventory levels at BMW, Volvo, and Mercedes.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dafool
% profit margin would drop for any foreign company, but I still see healthy inventory levels at BMW, Volvo, and Mercedes.
BMW (X5, Z4, and soon X3) & Mercedes (GL, M-Class, & R-Class) both have North American production to offset the exchange rate differences. Volvo doesn't dell enough vehicles for it to matter...
Old 12-19-2009, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess I feel rather lucky then to not only have tested driven the exact model (P+ 6mt w/sport)but had two choices of color on the lot. Both of which I passed on for alternate choice that only took a week to get in as it was already in transit.

I wonder if it has anything to do with regional markets. I would imagine manual in the city would get bothersome for many and thus be less likely to sell quickly enough. The Denver metro has plenty of traffic but also has miles of roads that make it all the better.

Economy aside, in the end its all about the saleability.

Quick Reply: Why so few (or none at all) to test?