A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 10:55 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

"Why is your car so noisy?!!!"

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default "Why is your car so noisy?!!!"

That's what my friend said when I started up my car as he stood outside in the company parking lot yesterday.

He couldn't believe the racket that was coming from under the hood.

"It's always like that," I replied, sheepishly. "It'll quiet down."

Yep, in about another 30 seconds, the revs slowed down and the engine became quieter. Which leads me to ask, why is Audi's four-cylinder engine so noisy at startup? I understand why the revs are increased initially, but I never had that loud sound coming from my V-6 B6.

The scene yesterday was embarrassing, to say the least.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a lot of complaints about this on the B8 2.0T. It's strange, because I never had any noise on my last B7 2.0T or my current B8 3.2. I wonder what this model does differently on startup?
Old 08-22-2010, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My dealer told me it was the direct injection that does this sound.

In my garage with the reverberation, it sound like a farm vehicule !
Old 08-22-2010, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
Same here with my B7. I never liked the cheap tinny sound coming from the exhausts too. The vibrations backing out of the garage start things rattling on the walls in the house on the driveway side .

Oh well, other than that, it's great .
Old 08-22-2010, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
My dealer told me it was the direct injection that does this sound.

DI makes the tick-tick sort of diesel sound - I think the OP was referring to the gravely hoarse grating kinds of noises it makes for the first 30ish seconds until the idle drops and then it's "normal". DI doesn't stop after that so... I've heard lots of theories - "secondary air pump", etc.

But you are right - it's embarrassing. I'm sure my neighbors look at my brand new car in the morning and thing "damn, what a POS - I'm not going to buy an Audi"
Old 08-23-2010, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wondered about this too.

And what bugs me is that the A5 2.0T does Not sound like this.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A4Driver
That's what my friend said when I started up my car as he stood outside in the company parking lot yesterday.

He couldn't believe the racket that was coming from under the hood.

"It's always like that," I replied, sheepishly. "It'll quiet down."

Yep, in about another 30 seconds, the revs slowed down and the engine became quieter. Which leads me to ask, why is Audi's four-cylinder engine so noisy at startup? I understand why the revs are increased initially, but I never had that loud sound coming from my V-6 B6.

The scene yesterday was embarrassing, to say the least.

I just ordered a 2011 a4 avant. Is this something that happened when you first got the car or did it become more noticeable after time? I certainly don't want to be embarrased when asked to turn on the car in front of friends especially when they know it's more expensive then your average car.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tgdA4
I've seen a lot of complaints about this on the B8 2.0T. It's strange, because I never had any noise on my last B7 2.0T or my current B8 3.2. I wonder what this model does differently on startup?
My 3.2 is also very quiet on start up. Same as my '02 6 cyl allroad and former '01 6 cyl A6 - both twin turbos. What sold me on the B8 3.2 was the smoothness and the sound. I love the 6-cyl rumble of the exhaust on full throttle. I do hear various noises in my garage upon turn off for several seconds.

I'm now driving a '10 2.0 loaner, and while I hear (and feel) the difference to my 3.2, it's not as great as I remember when test driving two years ago. On the loaner startup noise as reported - I honestly haven't noticed the loud racket as has been described. Noisier than my 3.2 but not embarassing.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have not noticed that my 2010 S-Line is particularly noisy. I did notice a fair amount of fan noise the other day (outside of the vehicle), but it was very hot out so the a/c was working hard (so, high blower fan and a/c condenser fan) while the radiator fan was undoubtedly working hard to keep the engine cool while it sat at idle. Those are sounds I want to hear when it's searing hot out.

Oddly enough, the tick-tick noise I heard on the cars I test drove (apparently, the high-pressure fuel system) is absent on my car.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My 3.2 is also very quiet on start up. Same as my '02 6 cyl allroad and former '01 6 cyl A6 - both twin turbos. What sold me on the B8 3.2 was the smoothness and the sound. I love the 6-cyl rumble of the exhaust on full throttle. I do hear various noises in my garage upon turn off for several seconds.

I'm now driving a '10 2.0 loaner, and while I hear (and feel) the difference to my 3.2, it's not as great as I remember when test driving two years ago. On the loaner startup noise as reported - I honestly haven't noticed the loud racket as has been described. Noisier than my 3.2 but not embarassing.
Same things sold me

Quick Reply: "Why is your car so noisy?!!!"