A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Window tint and Side Assist lights question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tint and Side Assist lights question

Hello:

I have a quick question for those of you who have window tint 50% or darker on your car. I'm thinking of getting 50% on the side windows and 35% on the back. I was wondering if anyone who has 50% or darker if it significantly reduces the visibility of the side assist warning lights on your side view mirrors?

Also what combination would you guys do with VA restrictions below for an Ibis white A4?

Below are VA restrictions
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:15 PM

My car doesn't have the side assist feature, however I doubt you'll have much trouble with reduced visibility at any of the levels you mention. I have 35% Huper Optik tint all around and there is no reduction in visibility. If you were talking 20% or lower it might be a different story.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:16 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Default 60% huper Optik all around....

Originally Posted by minow
Hello:

I have a quick question for those of you who have window tint 50% or darker on your car. I'm thinking of getting 50% on the side windows and 35% on the back. I was wondering if anyone who has 50% or darker if it significantly reduces the visibility of the side assist warning lights on your side view mirrors?

Also what combination would you guys do with VA restrictions below for an Ibis white A4?

Below are VA restrictions
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Thanks for any feedback.
Looks great on white - very good heat/UV rejection and won't attract attention from the local gendarmes...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello:

have 50% on my front windows and its essentially an unnoticeable change in daylight...don't think you'll ever have a problem seeing side assist lights as I can clearly see my side turn-signal indicators
Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems here. Also, you can adjust the Side Assist illumination brightness (I set mine to max after tinting).
Old 04-15-2009, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got mine tinted. 33% all around. I notice little or no difference in being able to see the side assist as clearly as before it was tinted.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello:

I have 35% all around and have no problems what so ever seeing the side assist. It glows a solid low intensity when there's somebody in your blind spot and it flashes quickly between low and high intensity if you turn your blinker on when somebody's in your blind spot. I didn't know about the flashing at first and it scared the bejeezuz out of me the first time it happened.

I've also had two false alarms when the side assist was apparently triggered by tall grass on the side of the road in one instance and a tall visibility screen on the center divider in another instance. That was the first time the flash occurred and I was quite annoyed because I abruptly stopped my lane change for no reason as it turned out. Take it as a lesson to always continue to check over your shoulder. I was looking but I thought it was picking up on something I couldn't see.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have side assist and the windows tinted and no real difference. Can view the lights with no problems. Also as BMWbig6 mentioned you can adjust the lighting. If you need it to be darker just change the setting.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone. I feel a lot more confident getting some tint done. Like someone else's other recent thread on tinting I'm new to tinting also. CEB your reply pretty much tipped me into doing Huper Optic also. I was debating between Huper and Formula One. I decided to go with Huper because their dealer is closer to me (~60 miles) and I've read a lot of happy reviews. I hope it doesn't interfere with some electronics like the remote key, NAV etc.. like some people been having (read on a BMW forum). I will probably get 50% on the sides and 40% in the rear. I'm still undecided but I have until next Saturday (4/25/09) to decide which is my appointment to get Huper installed on the tint percentage.

CEB or anyone when they installed your tint did they have to remove the door panel to tint the glass to the bottom? Is removing the door panel rather straight forward for the installer?

Dirt, I've had the same experience as you once when my side assist flashed with nobody in my blind spot. I swerved back into my lane while lane changing even though nobody was in my blind spot. I too thought I missed seeing something. I think there may have been a car 2 lanes over that may have triggered the assist.

Thanks everyone.