A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Windshield Chip On Frit Line

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Chip On Frit Line

Hey all,

A rock flew off a truck and hit my windshield this week (2010 A4), leaving a small crack/chip on the bottom center, right where the black frit line starts. My insurance company, USAA, sent me over to Safelite to have it repaired, though, the guy there said he didn't think he could repair it because it was in the frit line. He said it would probably be fine just leaving it the way it was.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I take the car elsewhere for a second opinion? It really isn't that big or noticeable, but it would be nice to fix. I think it would be overkill replacing the entire windshield.

I attached a somewhat blurry picture. I live in DC, so if anyone knows of a good place that does these repairs other than Safelite, please let me know.

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2011, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

California would not allow you to operate with a crack like that. I would replace the glass. Check with Audi to get a certified installer. If you have automatic headlights/wipers insist on a genuine Audi windshield. USAA might grumble, but they don't have to sit behind a broken or glued up windshield.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

I had a similar-sized crack in my windshield last year. I took it to my dealership's body shop and they told me they would just repair the window. I asked if the repair would be invisible, and they said that as long as the crack is not in your direct line of sight, they don't have to do a perfect job.

Screw that, I thought. Just replace the whole windshield, I told them. It wasn't until a couple days later I got a call from my insurance company, asking me if the crack was "larger than a dollar bill." Wtf? I told the woman that it was shaped like a star (which it was) and that it was "pretty bad."

Well, she must've accepted that answer because I was never billed for the new windshield.