A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Windshield crack on my A4

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield crack on my A4

On my way out for lunch and noticed there was around 5 inch crack on the windshield (top of the passenger side). Does anyone know if this is covered by the manufacture warranty or insurance is the only way to get it replaced?

Everything was ok this morning to office and nothing has hit the windshield...
Old 12-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

whew...dealer quote for replacement is $760 + tax.

Does anyone have other recommendation? There was a thread people talking about Safelite, their online quote shows $434. Anyone used them before?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dfwdfw
whew...dealer quote for replacement is $760 + tax.

Does anyone have other recommendation? There was a thread people talking about Safelite, their online quote shows $434. Anyone used them before?
Here you go: http://genuineaudiparts.com/partloca...layCatalogid=0

Just find someone to install it. Should be able to get it done for half the price

Last edited by vtheman; 12-16-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi will not cover a windshield under warranty. I had what was an honest issue, where my windshield cracked on a super hot day when the cold A/C hit it out of the upper dash vent when I had it set on Auto.

'External cause' was the speech from Audi - used a service that the two local dealers recommended and I only paid the $100 deductible under insurance. Done in under an hr.

Make sure you tell the replacement service if you have the rain/light sensor in the windshield to make sure you get the correct version.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I highly recommend Safelite. They did a great job on 2 different windshields of mine in the past and use quality product.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I stopped by my local glass shop (my '09 A4 windshield is getting pretty well pitted) and he quoted me $350 installed with the rain sensor, etc. He told me they source the same rated glass that is used by Audi.

You can do much better than quoted by the dealer. Check your insurance policy - often they have special coverage with reduced deductibles for glass replacement.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Safelite did my windshield repair, and eventually the replacement on my A4.
they do cover their work under warranty for the lifetime of the windshield.. against their work.. not another boulder hitting it.

Dealer glass is always more expensive. And this should be claimed under your car insurance's comprehensive coverage. I didn't pay a thing because mine's got a $0 deductable for windshield stuff.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ports
Safelite did my windshield repair, and eventually the replacement on my A4.
=========

Did you replace with OEM glass or aftermarket ones carried by Safelite? Do you feel any difference of road/wind noise after replacement?
==============

Dealer glass is always more expensive. And this should be claimed under your car insurance's comprehensive coverage. I didn't pay a thing because mine's got a $0 deductable for windshield stuff.
===
I unfortunately have $500 deductable on comprehensive coverage, which is even higher than the cost of aftermarket glass. Safelite could order a glass from dealer and install it at around $580.

I am trying to find a good local shop who can just install the OEM glass I can find online at pretty decent price...
Old 12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I am trying to find a good local shop who can just install the OEM glass I can find online at pretty decent price...

411, no one will be able to tell if it's OEM glass or not unless they examine the stamp and know what they're looking for.

Most dealers outsource to a glass replacement co. like Safelite anyway.

Last edited by Audirings4; 12-23-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
411, no one will be able to tell if it's OEM glass or not unless they examine the stamp and known what they're looking for.

Most dealers outsource to a glass replacement co. like Safelite anyway.

Good point, if I am to keep the car longer, I definitely dont mind to go with after market given the price difference.

Due to family growth, I will have to find something bigger within the next 2, 3 months. Hopefully when I sell it, the non-OEM windshield will not impact the car's value.

Quick Reply: Windshield crack on my A4