A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Without Drive Select, what is the default mode?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default Correct.

From everything I've read ADS builds off of the sport suspension. The red lines on the graph I believe represent the upper and lower limits of the ADS suspension system. i.e. comfort and dynamic. "Auto" would be if the area between the red lines encompassing the other color lines was shaded.

The shaft that we are getting here is if you order a Sport package or S-Line & ADS there is no discount for the already included sport suspension. However the sport suspensions of old were only a $250 option and I could easily see Audi just skipping this "discount". FWIW S-Line is $450 less than on the A5 and they are argeuably identical upgrades.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add to it the changes to throttle response and shifting characteristics...

and an ADS-equipped car should really feel different from one with just the sport suspension.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I get it now...ADS is sport with damper system.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So you're saying that ADS comes with essentially the same hardware as sport but more stuff..ahh.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM

Default Drove ADS yesterday @ Audi Driving Experience..

Normally - I would call it a bunch of fluff and skip it. But having done back to back to back laps in their demo 3.2L A4's, it truly does make a difference. Sitting in pit lane, I whipped up "standard" on the individual setting via MMI (and man is it better than iDrive) so that I could compare "comfort" (*****), "individual" (regular shocks) and "dynamic" (sport). I was truly surprised at how good sport setting was. Wouldn't call the 3.2 a lightweight track car by any stretch but ADS really kept it buttoned down well and the steering was so good I didn't notice it which would be the ultimate compliment I could pay it (at least at track speeds). Standard wasn't bad but not great and the lap with "comfort" was what you'd expect. The true surprise is "auto" setting. You are surprised by this ultra quick, one-finger steering at slow speeds but it tightens up immediately and there was no lag or drama hitting the apex at Turn 9 at whatever my turn in speed ended up being (was busy - didn't look at the speedo that particular second), on the gas WFO for the exit, down the back straight @ 90 mph then on the brakes lightly for Turn 1 (a fast sweeper at Summit Point). The steering never felt different during all of this - just nailed down and very accurate. Certainly not overboosted in any situation at speed and not really heavy anywhere either. Hope that helps some. BTW - I still hate automatics no matter how smart they are. The Tip would hang onto a gear too long coming out of the Carousel and I found myself slapping the lever back myself for Turns 7 & 8 simply because I knew I wanted 3rd regardless of what the damned TCU thought was appropriate.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Elder Member

Default I agree. That's exactly what we experienced at the ADE in Sonoma.

I also thought ADS was hype, but it really does give the car split personalities that are very noticeable.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:27 PM

Default no, hardware is different with ADS

You get adjustable shocks/dampers along with Audi's version of variable ratio power steering - this is additional/different hardware than just a traditional power steering rack and traditional gas charged shocks (Bilstein?). The transmission software is adaptive no matter what and the throttle mapping changes according to what ADS tells it to do. I'm assuming that without ADS, you just get the standard throttle mapping. Remember, in most modern cars now, you have a rheostat (dimmer light switch) rather than a physical throttle cable so rather than have a standard map, ADS provides variable mapping depending on what the car thinks you want.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

good stuff
Old 08-08-2008, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We were talking in this part of the thread about the suspension diffs of sport

w/ADS vs no sport w/ADS vs sport alone. The consensus is ADS is built upon much of the sport vsrsions of the hardware and is augmented by by all the adjustable and actuator bits.

Steering, engine and transmission mechanics/electronics are the other three parts of the four sytems contained and controlled in ADS.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

No sport seats with ADS!

Quick Reply: Without Drive Select, what is the default mode?