A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

WMA Lossless

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WMA Lossless

I have an Audi A4 B8 model with Audi Concert + B&O soundsystem and very glad for the music quality.

I usually just copy the MP3 files to the 2GB SD card and play the music, but today I tried to play a Windows Media Audio 9.2 Lossless file (WMA), but the system couldn't play it.

Normal WMA it can play, seems to be that there is not implemented WMA Lossless, even the codec is very old.

As I can read, only MP3 and WMA file formats are supported by Audi Concert. MP3 is not exists in a lossless variant... only WMA...

Anybody else have had the similar problem and found a solution?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It appears to be restricted as per the manual :

The following audio file specifications are supported by the CD/DVD drive, the jukebox, the memory card reader and the connection for the USB mass storage device*:

MP3 files
WMA files
AAC files
Format
MPEG-1 Layer 3
MPEG-2 Layer 3
Version 7, 8 and 9
MPEG-4
Profiles

LC - Low Complexity
File
extension
.mp3
.wma
.m4a
File
system
Memory card and USB mass storage device: FAT or FAT32 process, only one partition
CD/DVD drive: Joliet (CDs: single session and multisession; DVDs: only single session)
Standard
ISO 9660 Level 1 and 2
Bit rates
32 to 320 kbits/s and variable bit rates in sampling frequencies of 8 to 48 kHz
Playlist
formats
M3U and PLS
No. of files
CD/DVD drive: max. 1000 files per medium and directory
Jukebox: max. 3000 files in total
USB mass storage device and memory card: max. 4000 files in total and max. 1000 files per directory
Supported media
Memory card readers: Memory cards with a capacity of up to 32 GB
CD/DVD drive: audio CDs, MP3/WMA/AAC CDs with a capacity of up to 700 MB
MP3/WMA/AAC DVDs in the format DVD-5, -9, -10, -14 and -18,
standard DVD-V and DVD-V-compatible DVD-A
Audi Music Interface: iPod Link,
USB mass storage device Link
Meta data
ID3 tag
up to 50 characters
WMA tag
up to 50 characters
Support of meta data
Old 01-18-2010, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by minnal
I have an Audi A4 B8 model with Audi Concert + B&O soundsystem and very glad for the music quality.

I usually just copy the MP3 files to the 2GB SD card and play the music, but today I tried to play a Windows Media Audio 9.2 Lossless file (WMA), but the system couldn't play it.

Normal WMA it can play, seems to be that there is not implemented WMA Lossless, even the codec is very old.

As I can read, only MP3 and WMA file formats are supported by Audi Concert. MP3 is not exists in a lossless variant... only WMA...

Anybody else have had the similar problem and found a solution?
When I first started using MP3 format I did a comparison test between some of the coding SW I had available. I found that "FreeRip" with a variable bit rate with minimum 160kbps (max 320kbps) sounded better than the other ones I tried (that only had some fixed bit rates). The difference to the original was very subtle (to none). (These listening test were not in a car, btw).

You can make a comparison between the original in CD-Audio format (played by the CD-player) with MP3 in high bit rate to check if the quality in your car is really limited by the codec. I would think that the bottle neck is elsewhere ...
Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I just recently successfully installed AMI version 4E0 057 785 F (most recent as of 01/2012) in my 2004 D3 A8L.

I have 500GB USB HD hooked up to it, which works fine. I did a lot of reading on whether the AMI could process lossless files from USB connection (I know Apple lossless works via iPod) and it seems not, although I found posts where a person stated he had WMA lossless working...

I tried:

(1.) WMA lossless (ripped via Windows Media Player)

(2.) M4A lossless (ripped via iTunes)

--> both appear in the AMI and it tries to play them but then jumps from one file to the next with no sound...

Did anybody ever get lossless files to play from a USB connection ?

Thanks.

- Mike
Old 02-03-2012, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
It appears to be restricted as per the manual :

The following audio file specifications are supported by the CD/DVD drive, the jukebox, the memory card reader and the connection for the USB mass storage device*:

MP3 files
WMA files
AAC files
Format
MPEG-1 Layer 3
MPEG-2 Layer 3
Version 7, 8 and 9
MPEG-4
Profiles

LC - Low Complexity
File
extension
.mp3
.wma
.m4a
File
system
Memory card and USB mass storage device: FAT or FAT32 process, only one partition
CD/DVD drive: Joliet (CDs: single session and multisession; DVDs: only single session)
Standard
ISO 9660 Level 1 and 2
Bit rates
32 to 320 kbits/s and variable bit rates in sampling frequencies of 8 to 48 kHz
Playlist
formats
M3U and PLS
No. of files
CD/DVD drive: max. 1000 files per medium and directory
Jukebox: max. 3000 files in total
USB mass storage device and memory card: max. 4000 files in total and max. 1000 files per directory
Supported media
Memory card readers: Memory cards with a capacity of up to 32 GB
CD/DVD drive: audio CDs, MP3/WMA/AAC CDs with a capacity of up to 700 MB
MP3/WMA/AAC DVDs in the format DVD-5, -9, -10, -14 and -18,
standard DVD-V and DVD-V-compatible DVD-A
Audi Music Interface: iPod Link,
USB mass storage device Link
Meta data
ID3 tag
up to 50 characters
WMA tag
up to 50 characters
Support of meta data
Great information. I would only add that Album Art for SD card and Jukebox has a size limitation of maximum 800 x 800 pixels and that MMI would automatically display all album art as a square box (if art is 400 wide by 800 tall, the art would be stretched so that everything would appear short and fat).
Old 02-03-2012, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Mike

Thanks.

- Mike
I was not able to play any lossless format, I decided to go with M4A since it supports the Metadata and is a newer codec than MP3. WMA does not support the Metadata...

Pierre
Old 02-04-2012, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait... album art? I see no place in MMI 3G for album art display. Plus, I have album art on all my MP3s and I've never seen it show up in the MMI.

Any clarification appreciated. Thx.

Jon

Originally Posted by xradman
Great information. I would only add that Album Art for SD card and Jukebox has a size limitation of maximum 800 x 800 pixels and that MMI would automatically display all album art as a square box (if art is 400 wide by 800 tall, the art would be stretched so that everything would appear short and fat).
Old 02-04-2012, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried as well, to no avail. Apparently, some people have gotten AAC lossless files to work.

Can I just register my extreme disappointment around the 4k file max via USB? Meh.

Originally Posted by Iron_Mike
Hi guys,

I just recently successfully installed AMI version 4E0 057 785 F (most recent as of 01/2012) in my 2004 D3 A8L.

I have 500GB USB HD hooked up to it, which works fine. I did a lot of reading on whether the AMI could process lossless files from USB connection (I know Apple lossless works via iPod) and it seems not, although I found posts where a person stated he had WMA lossless working...

I tried:

(1.) WMA lossless (ripped via Windows Media Player)

(2.) M4A lossless (ripped via iTunes)

--> both appear in the AMI and it tries to play them but then jumps from one file to the next with no sound...

Thanks.

- Mike
Old 02-04-2012, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
Can I just register my extreme disappointment around the 4k file max via USB? Meh.
I also read this on another forum, 4000 files maximum and not more than 1000 per folder.

I finaly decided to use a 32G stick and encode in M4A at 220kbs. This size stick can hold almost 4000 files at this bit rate.

Simple and cheap...
Old 02-04-2012, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
Wait... album art? I see no place in MMI 3G for album art display. Plus, I have album art on all my MP3s and I've never seen it show up in the MMI.

Any clarification appreciated. Thx.

Jon
I guess I have MMI 3G+ in my D4 A8L.

Quick Reply: WMA Lossless