A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 03:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

won't start, key stuck, can't go to neutral

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't start, key stuck, can't go to neutral

2009 A4

I turned off my car, but left thet keys in the ignition overnight.

I took the keys out in the morning, and later that night tried to start the car... Nothing happened at all. It wouldn't start, or even try to turn over. No interior lights are working, only those few lights like "ABS" "Break" etc on the are on.

The key won't come out now. Nor can I put it into neutral.

I guess maybe the battery is dead, but it's in a one car garage so there's no way to get jumper cables in there...

Any ideas? I feel so screwed
Old 05-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Grab a jump box

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_17bendf2vn_e
Old 05-30-2010, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Exact same thing happened to me. I managed to jump start the car by connecting the battery from another car directly on the battery that is in the trunk!

The problem was also that I could not open the trunk, I had to lower the back seats and crawl in the trunk to open it...

Good luck !
Old 05-30-2010, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
Exact same thing happened to me. I managed to jump start the car by connecting the battery from another car directly on the battery that is in the trunk!

The problem was also that I could not open the trunk, I had to lower the back seats and crawl in the trunk to open it...

Good luck !
There are terminals under the hood for jumping. The manual shows the locations if they are not immediately visible.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by need_TQM
There are terminals under the hood for jumping. The manual shows the locations if they are not immediately visible.
Difficult to do when the nose of the car is in the garage, you can't move the car and the jump cables won't reach...
Old 05-30-2010, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
Difficult to do when the nose of the car is in the garage, you can't move the car and the jump cables won't reach...
That wasn't really directed at you - I was just pointing out the engine bay jump terminals so that triden7 didn't think crawling through the rear seats and opening the trunk was the only way to jump his car.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by triden7
I guess maybe the battery is dead, but it's in a one car garage so there's no way to get jumper cables in there...

I think he is in the same situation I was...
Old 05-30-2010, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 274 Likes on 201 Posts

If you have another vehicle, to pull the battery out, it can be placed near your car battery for a jumper. A pain, but not impossible, if you have a donor car.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks all for the advice. I actually ended up calling Audi roadside assistance, and they showed up with 20 ft jumper cables, hitting those connectors up under the hood. Way to go audi
Old 05-31-2010, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Am I the only one that has to ask why the hell you would leave your key in the vehicle? I guess it's better to learn the lesson through a drained battery than filing a stolen vehicle report. Seems insane to me.

Originally Posted by triden7
2009 A4

I turned off my car, but left thet keys in the ignition overnight.

I took the keys out in the morning, and later that night tried to start the car... Nothing happened at all. It wouldn't start, or even try to turn over. No interior lights are working, only those few lights like "ABS" "Break" etc on the are on.

The key won't come out now. Nor can I put it into neutral.

Quick Reply: won't start, key stuck, can't go to neutral