A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Yet Another Pricing Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Pricing Question

Just got this quote from my dealer for my fourth car in five years from them:

2010 Audi A4 Avant standard equipment plus:
Prestige Package
S-Line Package
Metallic Paint

MSRP $48,350
Invoice 45,500
Your Price 46,250 $750 over invoice

Aside from the basic fact that it wasn't quite what I requested (add rear sunshades and driver assist), seems high. I just read the thread on pricing on the 2009s, and I'm wondering if I should be looking for something closer to invoice for an ordered 2010?

On a separate note, why did I only get one resonse (from my current dealer) when I put it out to bid via the Audi website?

Thanks for comments and insights...
John
Old 09-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What area do you live in?
I would contact several other dealerships and give them a crack at it.
Nobody will look out for your best interests better than you....RIGHT?
If you like to haggle then go and shop around if not then when you contact each dealership talk to fleet/internet dept. and tell them to make their first offer their best offer. Don't be afraid to drive to another state pick up the car.
I did and got $500 under invoice on an almost loaded MY10 A4 Prestige 6MT ordered on 7-16-09 (a couple days before pricing had been released).
Old 09-29-2009, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just picked up my 2010 Premium Plus w/ nav for 300 under invoice. I used ZAG.com via Amex and the dealer honored w/ no haggling. Saved almost 2k using it. FYI no one ever checked to see if I even had an Amex card. Try it... You can price online w/o pressure and then you submit to a participating dealer.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is $1500 loyalty on the 2010 A4s that you look like you qualify for (as long as you have an Audi now and haven't sold what's in your sig).

I had a dealer willing to sell a 2010 @ invoice, less the loyalty. It never came to the crunch on that deal so I don't know if it was just talk. They all want numbers this year... at the end of the month, anything is possible.

John.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Pay profit. It's good for economy. See the people that work at the store then have money to spend on goods and services. And in turn they pay profit to someone else. Who then has money to do the same thing. People make money. Everyone is happy.

One last thing and I'll step off my soapbox. This kind of "how far can i screw them down" thing has put one of the largest Audi dealers in the country out of business and 5 more that I know of into receivership, that means they are literally owned by the bank that lends them the money to keep inventory because they cannot afford to pay the bank because customers seem to think that paying profit is bad even though they do it everywhere else. Just because "in this economy" which is the dumbest thing ever, you don't think you should. Then whine, moan and complain about not being able to get a loaner because the store can't afford them.
Think about that next time you can't get a loaner, or your sales person is no longer there to help you out after the sale.

And I'll counter the "but it's a depreciating item", great so is your TV, your cell phone, and just about every appliance you own. But you paid probably 20% profit on those. Granted none of them cost anything close to a car but they lose their value just the same.
End rant.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I personally don't have a problem with somebody making a profit.
I DID NOT grind down on price! I just asked to skip dog and pony show.
After I got my best "first offer" of $500 under invoice I actually had a dealer tell me OH NOW my manager can offer $600 UNDER after he had told me that $500 OVER invoice is as LOW as he could possibly EVER go even though his dealership was all about service and trust, respect and integrity.
I turned down the $600 under offer because that means that he would have been happy to screw me for the extra $1100 while smiling all the way to the bank.
I also understand that I need to be ready to rent a car or cope with having to get by with only 1 car while the car is in the shop.
Considering I sold my last car in late April '09 and the MY10 A4 I ordered will get picked up in 2 weeks I know we can deal with it.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some counterpoints...

For every grind and bargain guy, there are two more guys who pay high. The average buyer is not savvy like we see in this message board.

Plus, I don't think any dealership would agree to a deal that would not benefit them in some sort of positive way. They are saying "yes" for some gaining purpose, even if it's solely for future allocation (which can lead to more sales which can lead to more profits). There's always a reason for a deal or the dealer would not agree to it.

As far as the OP's situation, you can do what someone else suggested and email other dealers. The more you pit them against each other, the lower the price becomes.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=AofC_RR;23860443]Pay profit. It's good for economy. See the people that work at the store then have money to spend on goods and services. And in turn they pay profit to someone else. Who then has money to do the same thing. People make money. Everyone is happy.

QUOTE]

I agree with you 50% , I知 sure there are a lot of dealers that do the right thing, but there are a lot of dealers out there that have a team of sales people that don稚 care about their customers. I remember this old couple at the local vw dealership that only got 2000.00 for their 2 year old jetta with 10k on the odometer and they were paying msrp for their new car, and I really wanted to step in a say something.

yes they are out to make a profit, but the mark up on everything at a dealer is ridiculous, I知 not talking about the price on a car I知 talking about parts, service, gap insurance, extended warranty etc.

a good dealer or business person will figure out a plan on how to make money and how to keep their dealership running even when the economy is in the tank. that is not the customers fault.

if avant more feels good about that deal then take it, if you dont shop around, 2009 were selling with discounts to make room for 2010. you wont get those deals on 2010. good luck and happy shopping.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default At some point in nearly every car negitiation I've been involved in I've ended up....

using some variation of this quote with a salesperson or sales manager:

"Look, you need to make a profit on this deal. I want you to make a profit on this deal. If you can't make a profit then you can't stay in business and I want you to be in business both to support this potential sale and any future purchases I'll make.

I just don't want you to make all your profit off of me."

I believe that's a reasonable position.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=iflywoe;23860521]
Originally Posted by AofC_RR
Pay profit. It's good for economy. See the people that work at the store then have money to spend on goods and services. And in turn they pay profit to someone else. Who then has money to do the same thing. People make money. Everyone is happy.

QUOTE]

I agree with you 50% , I知 sure there are a lot of dealers that do the right thing, but there are a lot of dealers out there that have a team of sales people that don稚 care about their customers. I remember this old couple at the local vw dealership that only got 2000.00 for their 2 year old jetta with 10k on the odometer and they were paying msrp for their new car, and I really wanted to step in a say something.

yes they are out to make a profit, but the mark up on everything at a dealer is ridiculous, I知 not talking about the price on a car I知 talking about parts, service, gap insurance, extended warranty etc.

a good dealer or business person will figure out a plan on how to make money and how to keep their dealership running even when the economy is in the tank. that is not the customers fault.

if avant more feels good about that deal then take it, if you dont shop around, 2009 were selling with discounts to make room for 2010. you wont get those deals on 2010. good luck and happy shopping.
What is pay profit anyway? First time I've ever heard this term...

Quick Reply: Yet Another Pricing Question