A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 A4 coding tweaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
No, you're not the first. Q7 4M coding is mostly identical. In fact the button itself is a part shared with the Q7.
do u have de Q7 coding instructions?
I can try next weekend after installing the button...
Old 04-26-2017, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristimate
do u have de Q7 coding instructions?
I can try next weekend after installing the button...
Not for this.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

lets try and keep things on subject guys. it was already a nightmare going through 79 pages to see which codes are working let's not add anymore.

on another hand, i got a hold of the OBD11 pro today and was able to code a few things.

With that said, in browsing some of the topics both coding sections and adaptations, i noticed a few things that were shown "not active" but have been working for me. such as heated mirrors, folding mirrors.

my questions to the gurus of coding is: is there any harm in activating these?

could also someone help me with a coding, i enabled the ability to lock the car while the engine is running.

the issue is, i'd like to be able to unlock with the comfort access buttons via pressing on the door handle; currently only able to unlock with the remote when the engine is running.

Codings/Adaptations i have coded so far:

-needle sweep
-increased heated steering wheel temp by 1 degree
-double chirp on unlock
-show gear # on "D"
-

Last edited by ODIE-B9; 04-26-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ODIE-B9
lets try and keep things on subject guys. it was already a nightmare going through 79 pages to see which codes are working let's not add anymore.

on another hand, i got a hold of the OBD11 pro today and was able to code a few things.

With that said, in browsing some of the topics both coding sections and adaptations, i noticed a few things that were shown "not active" but have been working for me. such as heated mirrors, folding mirrors.

my questions to the gurus of coding is: is there any harm in activating these?
There's no harm, but they are deactivated for a reason. Activating them will likely throw open circuit faults.

The reason for this is that some functions are offloaded to child control modules, are controlled by other modules (door controllers, for instance), or are controlled via parameterization. (And even more fun: back in the old school days, you'd sometimes have specific control modules for specific functions that couldn't alter behavior based on coding.)

A good example of this is the multicolor ambient lighting. Coding will say that footwell lighting is not installed. But it is! It is controlled, in this case, by parameterization. These parameters tell the car what modules are installed, what addresses they live on with respect to the car's busses, and how they are supposed to interact with the car software and HMI. So the one function turned "on" in software looks for this parameter data to fill in the missing pieces.

The same holds true for the folding mirrors, heated mirrors, etc.

I'd stick with the apps within OBDeleven and some of the known coding changes here. Going beyond that could have unintended consequences that could be irreversible.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by ODIE-B9
Codings/Adaptations i have coded so far:

-needle sweep
-increased heated steering wheel temp by 1 degree
-double chirp on unlock
-show gear # on "D"
Just to comment on this, there is no point in saying that you enabled needle sweep (as an example) if you don't say what exactly you changed or where you got the coding instructions from (with link). In the past, people said " I did this..." or "I did that..." and were later not able (or willing) to confirm what exactly they did. So while they achieved what they wanted to do it was of no use for anybody else.

Also, the clear text shown in OBD11 and other tools is an almost random mixture of English, German and some badly translated Eastern European languages. If a checkbox says "active" and is not checked but the feature that (you think) this checkbox is controlling is working you might just have a found a bad translation or bug or combination of both. OBD11 is mainly tested on European models (or ROW software) and the coding shown may or may not be applicable to US/NA models. In certain cases the order coding is applied is critical or else all kind of stuff may happen. The only true method of sharing changes is to list the binary coding before and after or the channel number together with the channel label.

OBD11 is a consumer tool which is great but may not be the same as more professional tools like VCDS and VCP because it hides too much and makes it difficult to verify what actually changed. It's great for certain things and a poor choice for others.

That being said, if someone would post a change that he did with all the details required to repeat this change on another car and all the pre-requisites (i.e. must have Side Assist, US A4 B9 Premium Plus with Tech, etc.) listed and a few others confirming that they did exactly follow these instructions and it worked, the chances are good that I will update the first post. If it's just a random "me too" without verification it will likely remain hidden. And if its a great new find like Mitchfin Lane Assist mod (thanks a gain for sharing this awesome hack), a separate topic would be better instead of just adding another reply to this topic.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:09 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

IMHO anyone doing these coding changes with anything BUT a VCDS is asking for trouble...
Old 04-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Just to comment on this, there is no point in saying that you enabled needle sweep (as an example) if you don't say what exactly you changed or where you got the coding instructions from (with link). In the past, people said " I did this..." or "I did that..." and were later not able (or willing) to confirm what exactly they did. So while they achieved what they wanted to do it was of no use for anybody else.

Also, the clear text shown in OBD11 and other tools is an almost random mixture of English, German and some badly translated Eastern European languages. If a checkbox says "active" and is not checked but the feature that (you think) this checkbox is controlling is working you might just have a found a bad translation or bug or combination of both. OBD11 is mainly tested on European models (or ROW software) and the coding shown may or may not be applicable to US/NA models. In certain cases the order coding is applied is critical or else all kind of stuff may happen. The only true method of sharing changes is to list the binary coding before and after or the channel number together with the channel label.

OBD11 is a consumer tool which is great but may not be the same as more professional tools like VCDS and VCP because it hides too much and makes it difficult to verify what actually changed. It's great for certain things and a poor choice for others.

That being said, if someone would post a change that he did with all the details required to repeat this change on another car and all the pre-requisites (i.e. must have Side Assist, US A4 B9 Premium Plus with Tech, etc.) listed and a few others confirming that they did exactly follow these instructions and it worked, the chances are good that I will update the first post. If it's just a random "me too" without verification it will likely remain hidden. And if its a great new find like Mitchfin Lane Assist mod (thanks a gain for sharing this awesome hack), a separate topic would be better instead of just adding another reply to this topic.
I didnt think i needed to repost what i did for the needle sweep as it's been mentioned on this thread at least a few times or can easily be found by going through the pages on here. I specifically posted on this thread to get some feedback in regards to the adaptations shown as not active but is indeed active.

Thanks wdimagineer

Other methods used were from this link http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...Q7-(4M)-Coding

Last edited by ODIE-B9; 04-27-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
IMHO anyone doing these coding changes with anything BUT a VCDS is asking for trouble...
Why's that?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
idk, VCP is pretty legit.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nonsense. No problems and larger support for MLBevo chassis with VCP.

Quick Reply: 2017 A4 coding tweaks