A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 A4 NON-Audi Connect car with SIM slots??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 A4 NON-Audi Connect car with SIM slots??

So Audi Canada nor dealers could answer, but the SIM card slot in my glove box does?????

My car does not have Audi Connect as I took delivery in July before the models came out with Audi Connect which no one told me. Sux.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, apparently the SIM card slot cannot be activated here in Canada even though it can in the US. I'd invite you to read about it in the coding thread starting this post (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post24888889)

In general I agree that it totally sucks not having Audi Connect. It seems one is also not able to update the navigation system (maps) in the car without Audi Connect which is really weird since I have a MyAudi account and it allows me to download the maps but there is no option within the MMI to update them without Audi Connect!!!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s_Fanous
Well, apparently the SIM card slot cannot be activated here in Canada even though it can in the US. I'd invite you to read about it in the coding thread starting this post (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post24888889)

In general I agree that it totally sucks not having Audi Connect. It seems one is also not able to update the navigation system (maps) in the car without Audi Connect which is really weird since I have a MyAudi account and it allows me to download the maps but there is no option within the MMI to update them without Audi Connect!!!
Coding tweaks means I need someone with a laptop who can do this, right? Cause this is all foreign to me lol
Old 01-06-2017, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tgs2017
Coding tweaks means I need someone with a laptop who can do this, right? Cause this is all foreign to me lol
Or you can purchase an OBDEleven and use it with an Android device.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So Audi Canada nor dealers could answer, but the SIM card slot in my glove box does?????

My car does not have Audi Connect as I took delivery in July before the models came out with Audi Connect which no one told me. Sux.
I suggest reaching out to Audi Customer Service and ask them whether the SIM CARD slot in your vehicle can be used for Audi Connect. It may just be a matter of a software update (hopefully). Tell them that your dealer does not have any kind of answer for you.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ya tried that a few times, they had no idea. This model is so weird with the technology and having this but doesn't work with that and have this but no activated........

whats the the point of the SIM card if it's not Audi connect compatible lol
Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Then there's this in my Map Settings of Navi lol, makes no sense..
i don't have Audi Connect either

Old 01-06-2017, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ya tried that a few times, they had no idea. This model is so weird with the technology and having this but doesn't work with that and have this but no activated........

whats the the point of the SIM card if it's not Audi connect compatible lol
Yeah, that's definitely weird. There was no Audi Connect a year ago so my S5 didn't have it as well as the SIM card slot. Not sure what Audi was doing setting your car up with Audi Connect hardware but can't provide it with Audi Connect service. They could have saved you some $$ by omitting it from your car.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:30 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
Yeah, that's definitely weird. There was no Audi Connect a year ago so my S5 didn't have it as well as the SIM card slot. Not sure what Audi was doing setting your car up with Audi Connect hardware but can't provide it with Audi Connect service. They could have saved you some $$ by omitting it from your car.
What Audi Connect hardware do the cars actually have? The thing with the SIM card slot in the globe box... it probably would cost more to have two variants, one with a SIM slot and one without. Is there any other Audi Connect hardware in non-Audi-Connect Canadian cars?
Old 01-06-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For cars equipped with Audi Connect, the head-unit has additional electronic hardware inside of it that acts like a cell phone to upload/download data for Audi Connect. This includes the SIM card slot.

Yes, you may be right. Since Audi Canada was already planning to provide Audi Connect service by the time the B9 A4 became available, they probably included the Audi Connect hardware in early production models to simplify the production process, i.e. by not having a version without Audi Connect.

Quick Reply: 2017 A4 NON-Audi Connect car with SIM slots??