A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 Audi A4 Clock spring Is Not Communicating With Steering Control Module.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Audi A4 Clock spring Is Not Communicating With Steering Control Module.

Hey Guys,

I purchased a salvaged 2017 Audi A4. When I purchased the vehicle the entire clock spring did not work. The car was hit from the front and since then Audi Pre-Sense error, start stop malfunction, safety system malfunction errors show up on the vehicle. I have replaced the clock spring directly from the dealership with the correct part number. I have checked every single fuse and bypassed the wires from the battery to see where there is a miscommunication. The only thing I can narrow it down to is the computer module that attaches from the steering wheel to the clock spring.

Can anyone possibly give me a part number or what to look for to find the computer module itself? I called the dealer they are trying to sell me the entire steering column itself which I do not need my power steering is just fine the car drives great. The clock spring is completely non functional and I cannot figure out why. I also have had it programmed in but still no luck.

These are all the errors I get except my power steering is just fine and works. It is purely an electrical issue that is plaguing my vehicle

Thank You in advance!
Old 04-16-2022, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey
I had similar faults when I changed my steering control stalk to the one with the button for Active Lane Assist. The module itself is built into the control stalk. This is connected underneath the steering column trim directly below the steering wheel which I am sure you already know.

I am not sure what program/cable you are using to scan for the modules, but my VCDS Hex can would not detect all of the modules in the A4. As a quick win I bought OBDeleven until I can stump up enough unwarranted cash to upgrade the VCDS.

for reference my new part number is 4M0907129HG. There are however multiple variants of these due to differing variants of equipment installed (lane assist, cruise control, adaptive cruise, etc.). I had to use the PR codes for my vehicle to determine which one I needed.

Also not sure if you are aware but I fluffed my original module by removing the slip ring from the stalks itself. I bought a used unit not knowing any of this and it didn’t come with the ring, so I removed mine and ended up with all of the errors like yours, however I could read my module as I was using OBDeleven.

Note to anyone else reading this - NEVER REMOVE THE SLIP RING FROM THE CONTROL STALKS. You will make the steering angle stuck at a reading like 826 degrees and won’t have anyway of recalibrating it…..well not that I know of.

all of those errors seem related to the car not seeing module 16. Double check the new control stalk is connected properly. There is a little red safety tab one it that needs to be pulled back before plugging in if I remember correctly.

hope all goes well bro
Old 04-16-2022, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you sir!! I checked all the fuses and wiring. I have come to the conclusion that the computer module coming directly to the clockspring is bad. I have to buy a new steering column computer module that connects from the steering rack itself. My power steering is intact everything intact but no power or signals to the brand new dealer matched clockspring.

By any chance would you be able to know where I can just get a VIN matching steering column computer module?

Thank you sir.
Old 04-16-2022, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I ordered mine from Euspares.co.uk. Mine didn’t need vin matching. It was pretty much connect, calibrate steering angle sensor and clear codes.

but just to re advise, the module is part of the stalk assembly. You will need to order new stalks, which come with the clockspring attached. This must not be removed from the stalks at all.

My current part number is listed above. Do a quick search on Google for the part and you will see the assembly. The connector to the module is at the back of the assembly. The wiring to it is attached to the lower steering column trim.

Old 04-23-2022, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Latest Update

I had an electrician come and try to diagnose what is the issue. We traced the clockspring connection to the air conditioning module. This is odd because the air conditioning module works and there are no issues. But we checked some of the transistors and it seemed burnt so I will replace this part and see if it is the issue causing my clock spring to not receive any power.
Old 09-24-2023, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ehuq
I had an electrician come and try to diagnose what is the issue. We traced the clockspring connection to the air conditioning module. This is odd because the air conditioning module works and there are no issues. But we checked some of the transistors and it seemed burnt so I will replace this part and see if it is the issue causing my clock spring to not receive any power.
Hi, i have the same problem, have you resolved the issue ?