A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2021 A4 Allroad Oil Change Details

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2021 A4 Allroad Oil Change Details

In my search for specifics on changing oil on my 2021 B9 A4 Allroad I had a hard time finding comprehensive details in one place for the most recent years and specifically for the 2.0 TFSI code DPAA mild hybrid engine. There have been recent changes including the requirement for 0W-20 oil to VW spec 508 00. To save others time searching and to avoid possible mistakes I have complied what I have learned. I believe this to be accurate but welcome any feedback for improvements.

Oil: 0W-20 to VW spec 508 00/509 00. This is a relatively new oil spec and it is a bit hard to locate. Among approved suppliers that I found readily available in the US are the following:
  • Mobil 1 ESP X2, reported to be factory fill. Available from Summit, Amazon, Napa and AutoZone. It may be special order with some lead time so order ahead of your oil change.
  • Castrol Edge Professional Long Life IV
  • Liqui Moly Top Tec 6200 Long Life IV
  • Motul 107384 Specific 0W-20
  • Ravenol VSE 0W-20
Oil quantity: 5.2 to 5.5 US quarts

Oil Filter: Cartridge style located at the front left side of the engine. Remove the top engine cover for access by pulling cover straight up
  • Napa Gold 100396, made by Wix /Mann+Hummel
  • Mann HU6013Z
Oil filter housing wrench: 32 mm socket preferred. An adjustable Crescent type wrench can be used if careful.

The preferred method of oil removal is via the dip stick tube located at the top front of the engine using a vacuum type oil evacuator. There is no dipstick. Oil is not meant to be drained from a plug in the pan, which is likely inaccessible without removing the engine belly pan. A plug covers the top of the dip stick tube and can be removed by aligning the prongs with the flats on the dip stick tube and pulling straight up. Pliers may be needed to grasp the top of the plug. Do not pry up between the plug and the dip stick tube housing.

The dip stick tube plug is Audi p/n 06H115418M should it need to be replaced. The plug and O-ring must fit properly, otherwise a check engine light may appear due to improper crankcase ventilation. Inspect O-ring and lubricate it with oil prior to reinstalling.

Oil service dip stick tool: Audi tool p/n T40178. This is handy to verify oil level independently of the MMI reading. Aftermarket tools can be found by searching for the Audi part number. I used the adjustable Utmall tool from Amazon. It is apparently similar to the Audi tool in design and indication marks. With the stop ring set to 60 I found that max oil level as read on the MMI indicates 15 to 16 on the oil level reading end of the tool. (Post #8 below indicates for this engine the ring is set to 58 and oil level is read from 0 to 18 with 18 being max) Other years and engines may use different stop ring and level values.

Before I did the first oil change at 7700 miles I noted the MMI oil level reading and the reading on the dip stick tool. 80% on the MMI indicated at 10 on the tool with stop ring set to 60. Based on my observations as I refilled I estimate that my new A4 used about 0.2 quarts or less assuming it was at 100% from the factory.

I used my Topsider 5060 multipurpose vacuum pump to evacuate the oil via the dip stick tube. There are a variety of oil extractors that will work nicely. 3 to 4 feet of 0.250 OD clean poly tubing is needed. Cut a slight angle on the end so that it does not seal against the bottom of the oil pan during oil evacuation. I think I had 28.5 inches of tubing into the dip stick tube to reach the bottom but I am not certain of this. The oil should be warm but not hot. There have been some reports of the tubing getting stuck, possibly due to very hot oil deforming it or possible due to forcing the tubing to curl past the bottom of the pan and lodge somewhere it should not be. You may encounter some resistance a few inches before the actual bottom of the oil pan. Gently push past this point, rotating the tubing as needed to help. Once the bottom is reached do not force the tubing and cause it to curl upward.

Remove the oil filler cap to help speed evacuation. There will likely be a white paint mark on the filter housing and the base it screws into. If not add a mark across both prior to unscrewing the housing. Unscrew the filter housing a few turns and allow oil to drain out of the filter and housing. With warm oil and my evacuator it took about 10 minutes initially. I let it set for a while and pulled a vacuum again to remove a bit more.

Store the oil filter cap, dip stick cap and tools away from the car while doing the oil change. If anything falls down onto the engine belly pan it is very difficult to get to.

When refilling with new oil add 4 quarts and start monitoring the level via the MMI or dip stick tool. Avoid overfilling. For my oil change I added 5.2 quarts of new oil to get to 100% full on the MMI and a reading of 14 to 15 on the dipstick service tool. The last 0.2 quarts seemed to take it quickly to 100% full on the MMI.

A new filter housing O-ring should come with the filter. Lubricate it with oil prior to reassembly. When tightening the housing align the paint marks between filter housing and base to obtain the approximate correct torque. If a torque wrench is available research filter housing torque values for your year & engine model and tighten appropriately. A probable torque spec is in the range of 18 to 19 lb-ft or 25 nm. This is somewhat tighter than hand tight.

To get a more accurate oil level check it may help to run the engine for a few minutes to warm the new oil and fill the filter. Wait a few minutes for oil to drain into the crankcase. The MMI may say to warm the engine or wait 2 minutes before an oil level reading is available. You may have to make a few attempts before a reading is provided. Be sure the oil filler cap is in place, otherwise oil droplets will go everywhere if the engine is started. If the dip stick tube cap is not in place a check engine light may come on. Check oil level again after driving a few miles.

The oil change reminder can be reset in the MMI on my B9 Allroad. The engine may have to be Off and in the ignition in the accessory condition. Starting at the MMI Vehicle screen select: Settings & Service > Service Intervals > Reset at bottom of screen. The service interval should now read as "Next Oil Change in 10,000 miles".

When I change oil the next time I plan to pull an oil sample and send for oil analysis to get a baseline reading. It is a great way to track engine health over time if you plan to keep the vehicle for many years/miles.

Last edited by thirdcoast; 04-21-2022 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Added info on resetting oil change reminder in MMI and additional available Audi spec oil
The following 4 users liked this post by thirdcoast:
Andrew C. (12-29-2021), lowjdml (04-18-2022), roastpuff (12-29-2021), SDakota (12-30-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Thanks for this, particularly the part number for the dip stick tool. I had been searching for one of those just because I am a little uncomfortable about how accurate and reliable the electronic oil measurement system is. Also, probably a good idea to have a new dip stick plug on hand. I can just see it slipping out of my fingers and dropping down never to be found again.

Edit - just an additional note on the motor oil. When I went looking around for a litre just to have on hand, the lowest cost source was the Audi dealership = $14 Cdn. NAPA had the correct Mobil; but, their over the counter cost was higher. Even on Amazon, a case of 6 worked out to $17.50 / litre.

Last edited by 142 guy; 12-30-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I've used an extractor on my 2019. There's 1 oil on walmart that meets the 508 spec, a castrol I'm sure. I'd have to look it up, but I bought enough for that oil change and one more. You can probably search, but it may not be there any more.

I could never find anything on amz. And the "euro online" places are a bit pricey. Oh I did find K&N oil filters for dirt cheap, I think they were on amz, but I can to cross reference them.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

The only change I would recommend to your instructions is regarding the removal of the dip stick plug. If you look closely at the top of the dip stick tube, you will notice that its flange is flat on two sides. Since the plug has two claws opposite each other, you simply have to rotate the plug so that its claws are aligned with the flat spots on the flange of the dip stick tube and then pull straight up on the plug (I had to use pliers to grip the plug during the first couple of oil changes but can now remove it by hand). I would not use a screwdriver to pry the claws open as they could be damaged. When reinstalling the plug, make sure that the plug is rotated so that its claws grip the raised flange of the dip stick tube.

Last edited by SDakota; 12-30-2021 at 10:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SDakota:
Andrew C. (01-18-2022), radhaz (01-15-2022)
Old 12-30-2021, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SDakota
The only change I would recommend to your instructions is regarding the removal of the dip stick plug. If you look closely at the top of the dip stick tube, you will notice that its flange is flat on two sides. Since the plug has two claws opposite each other, you simply have to rotate the plug so that its claws are aligned with the flat spots on the flange of the dip stick tube and then pull straight up on the plug (I had to use pliers to grip the plug during the first couple of oil changes but can now remove it by hand).
Thanks for that feedback. I noticed the flats and attempted to gently rotate the plug prongs past the flats with the thought that it would assist in removing the plug. It did not want to readily rotate past the flats so I stopped there, not wanting to break anything. Next time I will try rotating the plug with a bit more effort. It makes sense that it should work as you describe.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,728 Posts

The cap freely spins around. Turn it as necessary to align it.

The 508 (petrol) / 509 (diesel) spec has been around 4-5 years. It's used in the b-cycle versions of the Gen3 (the no hybrid ones) and Gen4 (the mild hybrid ones) 2.0T, as well as the 3.0T used in the S models. afaik, all 508 compliant are 0w-20.

(the Gen4 does use a different dipstick tube part number, but I can't find any pics of it; I have no reason not to assume the top is molded the same as every other EA888 from the past 14 years).

Last edited by SMac770; 12-30-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
(the Gen4 does use a different dipstick tube part number, but I can't find any pics of it; I have no reason not to assume the top is molded the same as every other EA888 from the past 14 years).
Just because I was about to go and order one of those measurement dip stick tools, is the dipstick measurement tool for the Gen 4 the same part # T40178 or is there a different measurement tool to go with the different dipstick tube?
Old 12-30-2021, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,728 Posts

There is no dipstick from Audi for the longitudinal EA888 engines. There is only the cap. The display calibration tool, T40178, is not a dipstick per se, but can be used for the purpose. But it's not something you can leave in the engine. The adjustment ring at the top of the T40178 adjusts it to the various engines (ie, it's the same tool used for all Audi engines for this purpose). For the Gen3 engines (Gen3 evo CYMC or Gen3 b-cycle DBPA), it's top ring at 60 and oil range is 0 (min, bottom of display) to 16 (full, top of display). For the Gen4 engines (Gen4 evo DPAA or Gen4 b-cycle DMSA), it's top ring at 58 and oil range is 0 to 18. These are in the document you can get along with all the other workshop manuals at erwin.audiusa.com.

Interesting that the switched the EA888 evo engine from 504 (Gen3) to 508 (Gen4). To be expected, I guess.
The following users liked this post:
me&myAudi (04-17-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
These are in the document you can get along with all the other workshop manuals at erwin.audiusa.com.
You can also find this document here. The T40178 settings are in the Technical Data for Engines document. Look for your engine code on a sticker in your owners manual or stuck to the body somewhere underneath the trunk floor liner.

https://cardiagn.com/audi-a4-b9-8w-2...ring-diagrams/
The following users liked this post:
me&myAudi (04-17-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SDakota
You can also find this document here. The T40178 settings are in the Technical Data for Engines document. Look for your engine code on a sticker in your owners manual or stuck to the body somewhere underneath the trunk floor liner.

https://cardiagn.com/audi-a4-b9-8w-2...ring-diagrams/
Unfortunately, they do not include the information for the Gen 4 versions.

Quick Reply: 2021 A4 Allroad Oil Change Details