A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Ambient Lighting Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ambient Lighting Retrofit

I have an audi a4 b9 pp+ which has all the ambient lights but they simply don't change color. I bought the aliexpress retrofit for about $240. I just would like to know how do you get access to the saddle lights? These are the lights that are located at the center console where your knee would hit. I would like more detailed pics or comments on how to exactly switch out the white led lights for the RGB lights.
They also have lights where u have to drill holes into the doors to light up a cubby. I don't think I will be using that because there is no existing light there and I am pretty much a beginner, but we have to start somewhere I suppose.
The kit also comes with this kit where you plug it into the ODB port and move the switches to "download" the firm, and then you are supposed to reset the MMI
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US < this is the kit!
Old 11-26-2022, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Follow up- If anyone can guide me?

Old 11-27-2022, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might help: https://www.a5oc.com/threads/retrofi...ghting.174688/
Old 11-27-2022, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you, it has given me lots of info on what to do.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Avi Patel
Thank you, it has given me lots of info on what to do.
You're welcome.
If you can spare the time, make some pictures and your remarks about the job. I'm considering doing it myself and others in the future might appreciate it too!
Cheers.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I received my kit, and there are a lot more wires than I thought there would be. If you think this is plug and Play you are wrong. I think you have to REPLACE the entire wiring system in the doors. If anyone has some info if I am incorrect I would love to know. I haven't even gotten to removing the glovebox yet, because I am not really sure if this kit is proper.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I haven't done any install yet, but their pictures are showing you will need to do some cutting (and maybe splicing or changing connector).
It might help if you showed which part you think isn't right. Looking at their pictures removing complete wiring system doesn't look right and doesn't sound cost effective either...
Old 12-21-2022, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So I've been cracking at It for 2 days now and I've done really well. I am making a YouTube video explaining how to do it so I can help everyone out. My issue now is after completing the driver side, I have lost control of literally everything. My doors don't lock, windows don't move, memory seats, all that is gone. I am triple checking the wiring and it is all connected and I cant seem to find the problem. I have also got error codes to turn of engine, parking break, and this and that, So I was doing really good but now im worried. And to answer my own question, you don't remove the old wiring, just tape it out of your way.
Old 12-22-2022, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Again, in no way an expert since I haven't unbolted anything on my car yet, but I have read and prepared a lot.
A couple of things come to mind.
  • There might be a something wrong with the canbus connections. A short circuit in one of the pieces, a connecter or... -> Troubleshoot by disconnecting half of them and see if the problem is gone. Disconnect or reconnect until the problem is gone or the troublemaker has been located.
  • The dongle that does the programming might be faulty and programmed wrong codes. If you have an OBDEleven or other device with a backup that might restore everything.
Good luck and let us know what worked.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Using the ODB11 I do see lots of can bus errors, I believe that's from the piggy back. Someone in a different form said the Chinese part only gives negative and positive currents for the ambient lighting and that why nothing else is connecting.

Quick Reply: Ambient Lighting Retrofit